Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb AccessPort V3 Review on STOCK Fiesta ST

Quick question; people are saying the 91 pulls harder than the 93 but I don't have 91 around me, just 87, 89, and 93. So is 91 that much better? I don't want to get this and run the 93 map and not get the best results, you know
I would highly suggest running the map in accordance with what fuel is available in your local area. Lowering the map to a 91 octane map will not increase power, it will decrease. I haven't visited those topics that discuss 91 octane maps being more powerful than the 93 octane to investigate further data in regards to that, but just knowing what I know about COBB, and of course knowing the differences in octane as well just leads me to believe it's more of a seat of the pants thing rather than an honest to God increase in power proven on a dyno which of course I have for you here!

91 Octane Stage 1:

93 Octane Stage 1:

Overlapped 91 vs. 93 Octane:

Overlapped STOCK vs. 93 Octane:

Hope this helps!

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the charts. Would I have to run any other mods for the Stage 1 maps?

I'm just debating going after the Cobb or just shelling out the cash and getting the Mountune tuner through a dealership.

Thanks for the charts. Would I have to run any other mods for the Stage 1 maps?

I'm just debating going after the Cobb or just shelling out the cash and getting the Mountune tuner through a dealership.
Why spend more for less fun? Cobb makes more torque, which of course as some of you well know who have modified classic cars, torque is more fun than horsepower. Not only that but you're saving money doing it at the same time?

You will not have to run any additional mods, but anything you add on of course will just supplement the tune to making a faster, stronger car.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
quote: REDST: How much worse is mpg with 91 tune?

Reply: I've observed better-than-stock freeway mileage running the Cobb 91 Octane Stage I tune. I have no modifications other than the AP V3 -not even a drop in filter. If you refer to the chart for the maps on Cobb's site, you'll note Stage I's maps do not mandate any physical upgrades.

Stage II is where you'll start needing parts - rumor has it the FMIC from Cobb is when you'll need Stage II.

As I mentioned in my article, from the factory, the Fiesta ST has Torque Truncation in 1st, 2nd and Reverse gears - Cobb's OTS tunes disable these limiters - meaning that in addition to the extra hp and torque, you've got more outright response out of the box over OEM.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm leaning more toward the Cobb. How hard is it to install and program? I've never did a tune before, and I'm not very mechanical. Could I do it by myself or would it be smart to get somebody who knows what they're doing to do it?

I'm leaning more toward the Cobb. How hard is it to install and program? I've never did a tune before, and I'm not very mechanical. Could I do it by myself or would it be smart to get somebody who knows what they're doing to do it?
I'd be comfortable letting my 5 year old nephew do it, it's that easy.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
It is very easy and takes about 10-15 minutes of your time, here is an approximation of the install process from RallySportDirect, its for an STI but you get the idea.

[video=youtube;4sWWfK0xb6g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sWWfK0xb6g[/video]

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
My girlfriend knows nothing about cars, and she could do install an Accessport lol
Plug it in, click install, good to go.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Dang, very nice. Maybe I'll just go with this and some wheels. It would be around the same price as the Mountune by itself.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
Literally, it does not even take 15 minutes to install your accessport. As I said in the review video, I installed it - including unboxing it - on a 10-minute break. I was done in around eight minutes.

And yes, it is so easy a child could do it.

Just got my AP. Oh sweet Jesus I almost wrecked! My neighborhood is not for testing maps! Anyway I'm running the 93 octane tune at the moment but Saturday, I'll be switching to the 91 when I gas up again. I'm not completely feeling the smoothness of the 93 tune. Bomber, I tried putting my AP where you mounted it but I've got it stuck to the side (beveled part and only flat surface) of my SYNC surround. Perfect fit!

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
SpooledUpST,

I moved my mount too. Like you, I found that the soft touch dash doesn't work too well long term. I stuck mine to the side of the MFT housing too. better angle for viewing, too.

Dunno if I mentioned it in the review, but one of the things the Cobb OTS tunes do is disable Torque Truncation (enabled from the factory in 1st, 2nd and Reverse) as well as hugely increase torque.

as I said earlier, "it makes the car edgier, more pissed off" - in a good way

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Just got my AP. Oh sweet Jesus I almost wrecked! My neighborhood is not for testing maps! Anyway I'm running the 93 octane tune at the moment but Saturday, I'll be switching to the 91 when I gas up again. I'm not completely feeling the smoothness of the 93 tune. Bomber, I tried putting my AP where you mounted it but I've got it stuck to the side (beveled part and only flat surface) of my SYNC surround. Perfect fit!
See, this is the only problem I'm worried about. I'm hearing this from a lot of people and I don't have 91 anywhere around me.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
If you run the 91 tune on 93 fuel it'll be fine.

You just can't go backwards with the octane, for instance use 91 fuel with the 93 map, or 87 fuel with the 91 map.

@IanAtCobb would be the man to ask to get 100% verification but dude. you are way overthinking it

Haha seeing your original pics I figured you might change yours too. I've been planning my set up for a while holding my phone up as a mock up and found that nowhere on the dash works well except off the side of the MFT housing. The mount doesn't have quite the swivel range I hoped for...just need a few more degrees of swing for it to be perfect but beggars can't be choosers...trying to find a mounting point on a FiST dash really brings into perspective how small and cramped the dash is...if the fuel and mini display weren't right in front of us, I'd have mounted it on top of the steering column like a boost gauge.

Either way I'm stoked about the newfound performance and can't wait to test it out tomorrow to and from work. Now I wish the guy I keep pulling up to in his Tangerine FoST just outside work stops mean mugging me! Must be pissed about having a full beard but no hair in the middle of this godforsaken winter lol.

SpooledUpST,

I moved my mount too. Like you, I found that the soft touch dash doesn't work too well long term. I stuck mine to the side of the MFT housing too. better angle for viewing, too.

Dunno if I mentioned it in the review, but one of the things the Cobb OTS tunes do is disable Torque Truncation (enabled from the factory in 1st, 2nd and Reverse) as well as hugely increase torque.

as I said earlier, "it makes the car edgier, more pissed off" - in a good way