Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

87 octane on 93 octane tune

So my dad borrowed my car today and put 87 in it, drove 25 miles and when I turned it on, it started throwing negative corrections like crazy. Detuned to stage 0 v.220. I am livid to say the least and freaking out badly. Can some of you guys who know more than me chime in. I told him he owes me a new engine if the unthinkable happens.

You just need to dial the boost WAY back to wastegate-only until you run the tank down pretty low and fill with 93. Zero out the WGDC table in whichever map you're running and it will be fine. I was forced to put 87 in mine on a Thanksgiving road trip, but I was already running my own "economy" map with leaner AFR in WOT mode and only ~5psi boost. I did monitor the OAR learned and it stayed between -0.085 to -0.097 the whole time driving at ~80mph.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
I don't have ATR so I switched to stage 0 v.220 gonna try that out. Worst case u marry completely if it don't help. Was considering octane booster as well. Might throw some in tonite if the rain let's up. My concern is my dad having driven 30 miles on 93 tune with massive negative corrections flashing.

koozy

3000 Post Club
you should be fine with Stage 0, if you're really concerned you can switch to the psuedo "eco" map on slot 2, which limits boost to the base spring (~6lbs.).

dyn085

2000 Post Club
87 doesn't have any appreciable difference at lower loads in any OTS tune file, regardless of map octane requirements. Stage 0 isn't octane specific so you can go balls-out on it if you want. Octane booster is a waste of money, just drive it normally on Stage 0 and you'll be fine.

If your dad was going to owe you a new engine (kinda harsh) you would already know.

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
I've told him numerous times 93 octane only! I told him that to make a point to stop thinking the car is just a random turd like he does. He can't understand why I bang on about it so much. To him he thinks it's the worst investment I ever made and the worst driving car he's ever been in. Either way, yes it was harsh but I'm still so scared and every sound that I think wasn't there before freaks me out.

Seems like stage 0 allows advance but I haven't seen any negative yet. Haven't even tried to push it past low throttle and 2.25 degrees correction. I just can't help the fact that I feel my car has been, for lack of a better way to put it, violated and will never be the same again. I can forgive scratches and dents as I'm riding with a big one in my passenger rear door atm. The internal stuff just freaks me out. Sry guys for freaking out on another thread...I hope you can understand why I'm so beside myself.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Most people haven't seen inside the tune to know but unless he's going full-boost all the time is not a huge deal, and even then there are safeguards. Not something people should do on the regular but not a big deal when there's an 'oops'.

koozy

3000 Post Club
yeah, not worth freaking out and not worth ruining a relationship with a parent over. next time the car is loaned out to anyone, load a safe map for your own peace of mind.

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
Thanks guys that really helps stop me from hyperventilating. That's why I love this forum...people are not assholes when someone needs a bit of encouragement and a pat on the back.

I'll try and forget all about it tonite and see how things go. Maybe take a road trip tmrw to burn thru the tank! If the rain would stop...

PhoenixM3

I've told him numerous times 93 octane only! I told him that to make a point to stop thinking the car is just a random turd like he does. He can't understand why I bang on about it so much. To him he thinks it's the worst investment I ever made and the worst driving car he's ever been in. Either way, yes it was harsh but I'm still so scared and every sound that I think wasn't there before freaks me out.

Seems like stage 0 allows advance but I haven't seen any negative yet. Haven't even tried to push it past low throttle and 2.25 degrees correction. I just can't help the fact that I feel my car has been, for lack of a better way to put it, violated and will never be the same again. I can forgive scratches and dents as I'm riding with a big one in my passenger rear door atm. The internal stuff just freaks me out. Sry guys for freaking out on another thread...I hope you can understand why I'm so beside myself.
Why do you let him drive it?

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
He was at my shop getting tires put on my mom's car so they asked to take mine to run some errands. I forgot it needed gas cuz I was too busy with customers. They took off and went to fill up my tank to be nice but dad thinking I am just being snobby and overly in love with the car put in regular gas and then drove 30 miles with it still set to 93 octane v.220. I wouldn't have freaked it it wasn't tuned.