Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shift Points

Intuit

3000 Post Club
With smaller parts, the stresses aren't as great. That's why motorcycles are able to redline at *much* higher RPMs. My own for instances, ~15.6k redline. That number drops as reciprocating masses increase.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #22
I recall the 3 litre V10 days in FI, per piston swept area 0.3L vs our 0.4L A truly spine tingling shriek "on the naughty side of 18000 rpm". The current 1.5L formula is governed to below 18,000, and the auditory fireworks are damped by turbo.

Zormecteon

I've tried shifting at both redline and before redline. I've found shifting closest to redline as possible produces the fastest time. At least for me.
I'm curioius.. redline .. being 6000, or 6500, or 6800 rpm... the red starts at 6000, but isn't full till 6800... hmmmm ... ??????

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #25
When pushing for a PB lap, I flat-foot shift at 6800 or so. Really anywhere below 7 and cutoff, more concerned with holding a precise line and making a quick upshift, no time to dwell on tach. I go by exhaust note and look at logs to see where I actually shifted.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What is actually considered the 'red line' for these cars, is it at the start of the factory rev limiter, or somewhere below that level?

BTW; where does the actual, factory set, rev limiter start to engage, and does it use 'stages' to accomplish it's end goal (i.e.; FIRST fuel cut, THEN spark/timing cut, etc.)?? [dunno]