Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When are you attending ST Octane Academy?

Bump! I am registered for the Aug 21-21, 2018 class. I will get their $135 insurance when I get there. I read about it on their website and it sounds like a good idea.

Bump! I am registered for the Aug 21-21, 2018 class. I will get their $135 insurance when I get there. I read about it on their website and it sounds like a good idea.
Insurance isnt worth it, save your money. Its a controlled environment, didnt see anything close to an accident while there.

Insurance isnt worth it, save your money. Its a controlled environment, didnt see anything close to an accident while there.
Agreed. Here's why:

It's a $5000 deductible. So.. even if you got the insurance, if you got into a fender bender. It's likely under $5000 and you're on the hook. You're still liable even if the damage was caused by someone else. Honestly the ONLY time you are at risk of doing more than $5000 worth of damage is on the open track. I asked how many times that's ever happened. They said twice and it wasn't much more than that. And the rest of the day you're doing cones and relatively low speed manuevers.

My 2 cents FWIW.

And the rest of the day you're doing cones and relatively low speed manuevers.
I just purchased my Fiesta ST this week. I'm contemplating whether to attend the ST Octane Academy. I live in California, so it's not a long flight. But I also have a 1 yr old, so it probably means I would have to leave my wife and daughter to attend this, unless there's something real interesting to see in Utah, I doubt it. I just want to know what I should expect. I have quite a bit of experience, but not professional. I have attended school from car control, to open wheel, rallying, and most recently a 2 full day course https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/driving-school/corvette-owners-school.

So the question really is, how many minutes of track time should I expect? How much time do they spend going over the basics? How soon into the day do they get into more advanced stuff? The only thing I never tried is the hand brake 180 turn, so I'm looking forward to that. I can't imagine it's not very hard to do it sloppy, but I imagine they teach you how to time it properly, how to judge the road surface, tire type, modulate the hand brake etc to get the car in just the right position?

brbauer2

I went last year. Wife and I drove out from Chicago. ABSOLUTELY take time to see Moab and the National Parks in that area.

As far as the driving day goes, we were out on the track after 1 hour or so of classroom. You do a lead-follow, then you get your own laps on the track, followed by a hot lap with the instructors driving. That took up the morning half.

After lunch you learn the 90° parking box, 180° turn, and figure 8. You then put it all together for timed laps in the Auto-x course. You also get to drive a skid car while others are taking their turn driving the course.

IMO if you have the time off work you should do everything you can to go. I had never done anything like it before and fell in love with it. There were a couple guys in my group that were pretty advanced and had tons of track experience and they said it was still worth it.

You get out of it what you put into it, the instructors are there to answer your questions and they know what they are talking about, especially with the FiST.

brbauer2

My buddy is leaving in the morning to get out there for the 19/20th class.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk