Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When are you attending ST Octane Academy?

Perry

First, as an FYI if you don't already know, Ford is offering a one-day driving course at the ST Octane Academy at Miller Motorsports Park outside of Salt Lake City to new owners of Focus STs and Fiesta STs. (Link: http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/) Attendance is free, but one must pay for one's own lodging, personal expenses, etc. An insurance waiver that limits (but does not eliminate) liability is $105. At least some members of the forum are already making plans to attend. In the interest of fellowship, friendship, and maybe actually having some degree of acquaintance with someone else there, feel free to post here your planned date(s) of attendance, travel plans, etc. I'm working on figuring out my dates right now. MKVIIST has posted a video (ST Octane Academy in 30 Seconds): https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/719-ST-Octane-Academy-in-30-Seconds?highlight=octane+academy, and there's another thread that introduced the topic a while back: https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/84-Ford-to-Offer-Complimentary-ST-Octane-Academy-Driving-Experience-for-Ford-Fiesta-ST-Owners?highlight=octane+academy. This thread is intended to focus more on when people are going out to Utah for fun 'n games with STs.

UrbanX Course

Being Canadian, it's too much investment (time & money) for me.

I'll keep with the local autocrossing clubs and have some fun here :D

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #3
I'm hoping I can sleep on a couch at a friend's. Then it's just transportation costs, which boil down to two days' drive each way, unless I figure something else out.

I don't plan to go, but think it is a great opportunity to learn and practice car control techniques. One day really isn't enough...I assume there will be a ground school followed up by live practice. If you can swing a 3 day course, you will probably retain much of the training for use with your auto cross club and day-to-day driving.

Ford previously used the Bondurant School (they have since switched to GM) for its high performance training experience. You frequently found Ford engineers in attendance. Over the years, I've used Bondurant for Advanced High performance driving, and Gran Prix Racing programs (competition licensing). I've also used the Mid-Ohio School. I highly recommend both.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I took the funds it would have taken to attend and bought a Quiafe ATB diff..

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I'm registered for June 12-13.[biggrin]

C. love

June 5-6 iirc. I am like a 12 hr drive from Miller and an acquaintance of mine is more than likely one of the instructors so it should be a fun time. Only way I wont go is if I have a killer work schedule and cannot get around it as summer is our busy season. In which case I will do what rodmoe did and use the funds for some parts :)

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #8
I'm now registered for June 11-12. Would've selected 6/12-13 if there had been a spot available. As it is, looks like I might get to cross paths with MKVIIST!

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #9
NP, I agree that one day certainly isn't enough. But I think it's much better than nothing. I'll combine this with a local novice autocross course in the spring to try and learn some basics that I can practice. The bank account will only allow for so much at the moment.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #10
Being Canadian, it's too much investment (time & money) for me.

I'll keep with the local autocrossing clubs and have some fun here :D
Understood. Here's hoping you have lots of fun up north!

NP, I agree that one day certainly isn't enough. But I think it's much better than nothing. I'll combine this with a local novice autocross course in the spring to try and learn some basics that I can practice. The bank account will only allow for so much at the moment.
It sounds like you have a good plan and as you mentioned....practice is a key element. Starting out with professional trainers will go a long way in setting up "good" habits. Ford's offer is a good one and certainly easy on the bank account when compared to the full-price for that level of training. Have FUN!

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #12
BTW, for those planning on making the trip to Utah, if you're in need of lodging, you may want to check out the deals on offer as specials through the STOA website: http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/more/plan-your-stay.html . When I checked today (2/2/14), both hotels with official connections to STOA were offering rates under $100 for my dates, significantly better than what I found through TripAdvisor.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Lots of Pic's and Video and maybe bring back some swag for us mere mortals :)

C. love

who's done this? the 105 dollar insurance worth it? Im a bit late on the research, Im sitting in Park City blowing time before the reception wondering if I should spend my hard earned 100 bucks.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
who's done this? the 105 dollar insurance worth it? Im a bit late on the research, Im sitting in Park City blowing time before the reception wondering if I should spend my hard earned 100 bucks.
I didn't bother because I didn't wreck the car... and the insurance thing means that if you do crash the car you're still liable for up to $5k.

But nobody's crashed one yet. I didn't bother and got away with it.
Get your Beer before getting to Utah.

I stayed at the Hyatt Place recommended by STOA. Spent about $100/night for a 2-bed - and that room was friggin huge with like this living room/kitchenette area and a divider wall over to where the two queen beds were - and a hugeass TV. It was really nice.

C. love

I didn't bother because I didn't wreck the car... and the insurance thing means that if you do crash the car you're still liable for up to $5k.

But nobody's crashed one yet. I didn't bother and got away with it.
Get your Beer before getting to Utah.

I stayed at the Hyatt Place recommended by STOA. Spent about $100/night for a 2-bed - and that room was friggin huge with like this living room/kitchenette area and a divider wall over to where the two queen beds were - and a hugeass TV. It was really nice.

thanks for the info man. I was going to buy the insurance and then I got to thinking how likely is it I'm going to crash the thing. Then i was like thats 40% of the only mod I want(an intake ) lol. So far drove here, found out about where the ST tops out at and did a few cookies in the dirt all for 110 bucks. I am super cheap so imma lay the seats down and sleep in car and shower with gallon jugs of water ha! I also budgeted 200 for insurance for some reason.....looks like i may get an intake woo hoo

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
pm him but be patient
He needs to pull it off the car still and IIRC he's been busy as shit lately with classes at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena (amongst the car-design community, that's THE school to get into...)
he's not the best communicator but man can he draw o_x

C. love

Long as he is legit slow communication is cool by me as I too am busy so we can slowly work over this process. Pm sent. Thanks for the heads up