Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Steering Rack and Bushing Install Instructions

Instructions for Removal of Ford Fiesta Steering Rack and Installation of Steering Rack Bushings

Someone asked me to do a write up on how to install my steering rack bushings that I make, so here it is. It can also be used for removing the steering rack for replacement.

Start by jacking up the front end of car and placing it on jack stands. Follow the steps below to do the rest.

Disconnect Steering Column:
1. Align steering wheel to straight position
2. Loosen the bolt connecting the steering universal joint to the steering rack.

Disconnecting Sway bar and Tie Rods:
1. Disconnect the sway bar end links on both sides of the car.
2. Disconnect the tie rods from the knuckles on both sides of car.

Disconnecting Front Subframe/K-Member:
1. Disconnect the exhaust hangar
2. Unbolt both support rods
3. Unbolt the rear torque strut
4. Unbolt the cross bolts to detach the control arms from the bottom of the knuckles, and knock them out with a rubber mallet.
5. Unbolt the upper torx bolts that bolt to the chassis
6. Trace the 15 and 18mm bolts with a marker or grease pen. Place a jack under the center of the k-member, with a slight amount of pressure. Unbolt the 15mm and 18mm bolts. Slowly lower the k-member to the ground.

Disconnecting the Steering Rack:
1. Using a marker or grease pen, trace the outside edges of the steering rack lugs onto the k-member.
2. Unbolt the 3 bolts holding the steering rack on.

Removing the Steering Rack Bushings:
1. (Recommended) - sing a two jaw puller, remove the stock rubber bushings.
2. (Fast) - Using a propane torch or oxy-acetylene torch, heat the bushing pins from the inside, until the pin is able to be pushed out. WARNING, THIS CREATES A LOT OF SMOKE.

Installing the Steering Rack Bushings:
1. Aluminum - Place a small amount of grease around the bushings, and slide the bushings into the rack. Place a small amount of BLUE loctite onto the bolts, and torque to stock spec, remembering to line up with previous markings.
2. Delrin - Push the bushings into the rack. Place a small amount of grease on the pin, and slide it into the bushings (may require some force). Torque bolts to stock spec, remembering to line up with previous markings.
3. Stock Rubber - Apply lithium grease to one side of the bushing, and on the inside of the lug. Press bushing in using vise or press. Torque bolts to stock spec, remembering to line up with previous markings.

OP
Gun_Runner
Thread Starter #3
If you find a factory service manual

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great write up, when I do mine in a few weeks or so I will see if any differences on our cars but likely not.

I am also going to see if I can use a C-clamp press because if it will reach over the subframe it could save a few steps on doing this job, if so I will take pics and post it up.

OP
Gun_Runner
Thread Starter #5
The steps are actually for a fiesta. I used stock photos off the internet, but I got the breakdown from removing the rack at the junk yard.

Reviving this thread. Installed Gun_Runner's bushings over the weekend and they feel great. However, I must have slightly misaligned the rack or subframe as my steering wheel is a little off. Can I just shift my subframe over slightly to compensate so that I don't have to tear the whole thing apart to shift the steering rack?

Pete

Reviving this thread. Installed Gun_Runner's bushings over the weekend and they feel great. However, I must have slightly misaligned the rack or subframe as my steering wheel is a little off. Can I just shift my subframe over slightly to compensate so that I don't have to tear the whole thing apart to shift the steering rack?
I wouldn't move the subframe. Getting an alignment should fix your worries

I have to get an alignment since I installed springs too. We'll see if that corrects the problem. I'd hate to have to drop the subframe again. Thank you.

Slightly OT, does the ST have the same rack as the regular Fiesta? Wrecked mine in the snow and I need a new one.

Slightly OT, does the ST have the same rack as the regular Fiesta? Wrecked mine in the snow and I need a new one.
I wrecked mine last year and rebuilt it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club

Just want to give credit where credit is due. Thank you Gun_runner for making these for us !!
They look great :)

OP
Gun_Runner
Thread Starter #18
Hey Guys and Gals,
Business has been slow lately, so i figure its time for a little sale!! Check out my website, and enjoy 10% off all parts, and $25 off all 4x100 re-drilling kits and services!

ALEXTHEMACHINIST.COM

Enter the following codes for your discounts**
10% off parts - SLOW10
$25 off re-drill services - SLOW25

Please like my Facebook page as well!!! Facebook.com/alexthemachinist

Please keep up the support, as 100% of my profit right now is going into making new products available to you guys!!!

(** Only one discount code can be used at a time)