Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Braid 16x8 Group Buy

Trader history for PCA-1 (0)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
When picking tire sizes you need to look at actual specs as the numbers on nearly all tires are rather arbitrary and the application you need them for.

In general the best performance for handling will be with a 205 or 215 width and a diameter not to much taller than stock.

Section width and tread width vary greatly from tire to tire which is very important to consider as a mild stretch has been proven to be faster and is used a great deal in setting up cars for many types of racing, track events, etc....the slight loss of grip, if any, is exceeded by much better feedback and control which is quite critical driving on the edge of adhesion which is the best part of going fast:)

I see with your mod list and picture you are setting up for some track use, great!!!!

BFG has the Rival S in 215/45/16, 23.6" diameter, 8.4 section and 7.3 tread width, 20 lbs so pretty low in weight but seems to be developed for autocross more than road course use.

Bridgestone has the RE-71R in 205/45/16, 23.2" diameter, 8.1 section, 7.1 tread width, 19lbs and from what I have been hearing might be a better compound for the track.

Dunlop ZII Star Spec, 205/50/16, 24.1" diameter, 8.4 section, 7.5 tread width, 21lbs a bit on the tall side so clearance starts playing a part.
225/45/16, 23.9 diameter, 8.9 section, 8.5 tread width, 23lbs, one of few 225's but really should be on a 9" wide rim

Hankook RS-3, 205,45.16, 23.2" diameter, 8.1 section, 7.5 tread, 20lbs,

I would have to look at other sites for more alternatives, there are a couple that might work out for your needs if you want Extreme summer tires.

If you are looking into a bit less summer only tire or high performance all seasons I will gladly look up what would be good choices to help you out:)
I am retired and also suffering from old injuries right now so more computer time and I love helping others:)

I plan to be down in Perris CA for couple of days and if open heading to Goodwin Racing in SD to check out things if I can get mobile enough to go by the end of the year if you or anybody wants to see about hooking up:)

----------------

Back to the wheels!

I would have to have them in 4x100 if available and in black or graphite, etc....

I would like to run them with the BFG Comp-2 A/S in 205/45/16 but the specs make it almost to narrow for an 8" wide wheel....so would likely go with the 205/50/16 Mich PS-3 A/S which is considerably wider. I have ten wheels with 225 wide tires on them, track and summer, 9" wide.

Thanks for the elaborate response RAAMaudio. I agree that a slight stretch usually offers the best feel and response.

If I went 16x8, for my application (HPDE/Time Trials), I would prefer a 215 or 225 wide tire as a way to increase the window for putting down hot laps. All else equal, a narrower tire will offer better response but will also overheat quicker. A wider tire feels sloppier but is better at shedding heat. Most 200TW tires have a window of X laps in a session where they are fastest, and drop off after that. A wider tire just gives me more chances to put down a hot lap.

I used to run 225/45/17 on 17x9 wheels in my FR-S and I'd alway cook the fronts after a few laps... surely some of that is my driving and setup, but in any case I'm much happier now running 235/40/17 or 240/40/17 (depending on tire model) on the same wheels. Slower straight line acceleration but much wider window for hot laps and more forgiving to "over driving" the car :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You have far more experience and more specific needs than most and I agree with your situation as you have proven it. I have ran 265's on 9's perfectly well for TT events and up to 305 on 10.5's on a top heavy Forester XT.

The issue is finding 225's not to tall and have an actual tread and section width that fit under the car.

Sanctioning body particular rules on tread width, wear rating, points given or taken, actual tire specs versus advertised sizes, etc....add into the calculation of finding the best tires for your particular needs on a given wheel size, not going to be many to pick from....

I only go out for fun though like to pass all the cars I can, make the best laps I can, build the cars the way I prefer and run the class if falls into....I had some old 225/45/15 R6 tires and did the front first which was a bit of effort but when I went to the rear there was not way to clear the fenders rolled, pulled, etc......they are more like a 240 or 245...I am using 225 RA1 as get take offs from race teams for a great price and they last a very long time, they just barely fit in the rear which includes a -1.9 camber change.

You will probably want to stay within a 35 mm total rear offset on stock camber in an 8" wide wheel so getting some 16x8 in +38-42mm, etc...should be an easy solution.

I am considering running a wider front than rear tire, 245 front or the A6/7 in 225 as very wide then 225 rear or 205 in A6/7 as more like a 225. I have more rear grip than a stock real alignment and more power than most out there so more tire on the ground up front could really help out.

If things go well for me I might end up with 15x11's and 275 tires eventually:)

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #26
Some awesome info being discussed here. Very worthy read!!!

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #29
Yep. Yep!

Participants:
1.gronktired-Black
2.NJBooST-Black
3.SuperchargedTundra-Gloss black
4.frankiefiesta-White
5.airjor13-White

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #30
Time to wake this one back up!!!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The 225 Star Spec looks great on an 8" rim:)

There are great high performance all seasons, great summer tires, winter tires, etc...enough to fit anybodies needs if you look at the real specs of the tire not the generic size numbers which can be grossly different, some 205's are wider than some 215s and wider sometimes and some 225's are to wide for best use on an 8" wide wheel.

16x8 is the perfect size for those wanting a BBK and a better ride though the 12.19 Wilwood BBK might be a close fit all it takes is ordering 11.75" rotors with the kit and custom caliper mounts which I might have produced unless I can get it done by a current vendor on the forum to help you guys get a better setup than 17's because I care about real performance upgrades and to help others as much as I can:)

I hope this works out, very much so:)
Rick

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #34
Need to get some action going to get these wheels in by May! Get on the list now!!!

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #35
Will need to have this wrapped up by the end of the month to have wheels by the end of May/early June ETA.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Unfortunately for the others I cannot get on the list as while test fitting various 15" wheels over my BBK I tried the 16" RPF1 which I did not expect to fit but they fit very well, 4x100 only. I would of been on the this list for 1 or 2 sets if the RPF1 did not fit.

Sincerely
Rick

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #37
Unfortunately for the others I cannot get on the list as while test fitting various 15" wheels over my BBK I tried the 16" RPF1 which I did not expect to fit but they fit very well, 4x100 only. I would of been on the this list for 1 or 2 sets if the RPF1 did not fit.

Sincerely
Rick
Understood.

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #38
Any other interest out there? If not, this buy will be closed.

What options are there to get these without group buy pricing? Does braid ship single sets or do they need minimum orders?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
What options are there to get these without group buy pricing? Does braid ship single sets or do they need minimum orders?
You can get braid wheels from any authorized dealer. I don't see this group buy going anywhere so I contacted my local authorized dealer to get a price