Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No Aux jack in 2016?

So I've had the car for about 2 weeks now and am loving it. The one thing I can't figure out is how to listen to some of my podcasts. Sync 3 has the standard apps like Spotify and Pandora, but doesn't have some of my odd ones like TheSmokingTire. I can't figure out how to stream the random stuff through bluetooth and plugging it into the USB doesn't recognize anything but my music. I think older models had an Aux jack which would be so much more simple, but the 2016 model doesn't seem to. Anyone know what I can do or if I'm doing something wrong in Sync 3?

2016s only get 2 USB ports, no AUX. BT streaming only works with pandora/spotify or music saved on your phone

OP
Deli
Thread Starter #5
2016s only get 2 USB ports, no AUX. BT streaming only works with pandora/spotify or music saved on your phone
Well that's annoying. How hard would it have been to keep an AUX in? I'll figure something out. Hopefully some of the apps become recognized eventually.

I have a 2016 as well and I stream all of my audio thru bluetooth and have never had a problem. The only problem I could find is that you have to control it all on your phone and not the infotainment system.

So I've had the car for about 2 weeks now and am loving it. The one thing I can't figure out is how to listen to some of my podcasts. Sync 3 has the standard apps like Spotify and Pandora, but doesn't have some of my odd ones like TheSmokingTire. I can't figure out how to stream the random stuff through bluetooth and plugging it into the USB doesn't recognize anything but my music. I think older models had an Aux jack which would be so much more simple, but the 2016 model doesn't seem to. Anyone know what I can do or if I'm doing something wrong in Sync 3?

Hi Deli,

You should be able to stream your media by giving the voice command BLUETOOTH AUDIO. If you continue to have this issue, you may want to reboot SYNC 3 by holding down the POWER button and the RIGHT SEEK ARROW.

Whitney

OP
Deli
Thread Starter #9
Hi Deli,

You should be able to stream your media by giving the voice command BLUETOOTH AUDIO. If you continue to have this issue, you may want to reboot SYNC 3 by holding down the POWER button and the RIGHT SEEK ARROW.

Whitney
Thanks Whitney, that worked and it now streams fine. I still am having issues with Sync 3 freezing at times and not letting me do voice commands or go to home screen. If it keeps happening, I'll bring it into the dealer to get checked under warranty.

Sounds like sync 3 has bugs
It's still new, so unfortunately so. I have 3 Apple devices I have tried in order to play my music in the same way I did on my previous Pioneer head unit on my old car. a 3rd and 4th gen iPod nano and an iPhone 4 I was given to test it out (because its actually listed as a supported device). So far the iPhone has worked out best, but only if I play all songs and don't switch over to a playlist. The iPods would freeze on me to varying degrees. The 4th gen worked better than the 3rd gen, but still had issues. I just throw these devices in the center console and forget about them until I sync new music, so it would be nice if they worked without me having to buy a new iPhone to play some music without issue like I did on my Pioneer unit.

Thanks Whitney, that worked and it now streams fine. I still am having issues with Sync 3 freezing at times and not letting me do voice commands or go to home screen. If it keeps happening, I'll bring it into the dealer to get checked under warranty.
Hi Deli,

I'll pass your thanks on to Whitney. Keep us posted on any new developments!

Shaay

Hi Deli,

Whitney
My Sync3 connects and streams just fine to my phone, but I can't use voice commands to play a specific artist, for example. The only options are Play, Pause, Input, etc... Is there any way I can say "Play Artist: The Beatles" and it will play that artist?

Thanks

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 playing music via bluetooth stored on the phone's SD card.

Are the voice commands in apps programmed by Ford or by the app owner? Is there a way to get more voice commands for spotify?

My Sync3 connects and streams just fine to my phone, but I can't use voice commands to play a specific artist, for example. The only options are Play, Pause, Input, etc... Is there any way I can say "Play Artist: The Beatles" and it will play that artist?

Thanks

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 playing music via bluetooth stored on the phone's SD card.
Hi fourvalleys,

Those commands are not available through Bluetooth Audio. SYNC has to index the music to allow voice commands. That can only be done through USB playback. You can read more info here: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...sync-3.html?sync=sync-3&model=F-150&year=2013

Are the voice commands in apps programmed by Ford or by the app owner? Is there a way to get more voice commands for spotify?
gronktired,

Are you referring to the apps through AppLink?

Shaay

OP
Deli
Thread Starter #16
My Sync3 connects and streams just fine to my phone, but I can't use voice commands to play a specific artist, for example. The only options are Play, Pause, Input, etc... Is there any way I can say "Play Artist: The Beatles" and it will play that artist?.
I've played around with it a bit and the voice commands don't work well when streaming bluetooth. It does seem to work if you connect directly to USB port, but even then a lot of times it doesn't recognize the song or artist. Maybe it's just my midwestern accent that it can't recognize?

I've played around with it a bit and the voice commands don't work well when streaming bluetooth. It does seem to work if you connect directly to USB port, but even then a lot of times it doesn't recognize the song or artist. Maybe it's just my midwestern accent that it can't recognize?
Hi Deli,

Voice commands with Bluetooth are limited in comparison to a USB connection, which is normal. USB allows SYNC to index the available metadata for the media on your device which is why you can say things like "play artist, album, or song". Bluetooth audio is simply mirroring the audio and producing the sound, but does not index artist/ song information.

I hope that helps.

Yes, the applink apps. Why do those have different voice commands available than the Ford apps for radio, usb, etc.?
Hi gronktired,

Voice commands vary depending on the available app functionality and permissions. I recommend cheeking out Ford Social: https://social.ford.com/content/fordsocial/en/home-page.html

There you can make suggestions to our engineers. :)

Whitney