Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Climate Control Heater Issue

I was on another forum and posted this in a thread about the issue there. Copy/pasta here for visibility and whatnot, and this also seems to be the higher traffic forum:

I just bought my ST on Thursday of last week and it is doing the exact same thing. Car had 42 miles on it when I drove it home and is now at like 130 and has been doing it the entire time. I was coming here to see if anyone else had the issue and if so, what ended up fixing it so I could be more informed when I drop the car off tomorrow, and here is this thread. Seeing multiple people with the issue and no luck on a fix scares the crap out of me... I haven't checked my build date, but it is a '16 and it has the silver calipers with the regular grey wheels so it appears to have been built after they sorted out the caliper color issues the first runs were having (black wheels getting silvers, grey wheels getting reds), not like that really matters in the end.

I've never had to deal with lemon laws and stuff and I love the car so I'm hoping it is fixed quickly and without headaches or them tearing my interior to shreds. Reading that others on this forum and a few more have had the issue with no resolve doesn't bode well, however.

For my issue, it's the same - heat doesn't work on anything lower than HI, from 80/81 - 84, most of the time, the air is just barely above cold. I wouldn't call it 'warm' by any stretch, it just isn't freezing like A/C. 85 sometimes blows mildly warm, sometimes it is the same as 80/81-84. 79 and below is flat out freezing cold, like full blown A/C, even when the A/C button isn't pressed. It's like the above the majority of the time, while there were two occasions where it seemed to work normally, however they were on the short leg of my drive from home to a store and then when I got back in the car and restarted it the heat didn't work again. The other scenario is that HI is literally the only thing that blows hot air and 85 and blow is ice cold. When I put it on AUTO and leave it on HI the fan blows at max speed the entire time while 85 or lower is ice so AUTO is 100% useless.

It wasn't exactly warm on Thursday when I test drove and bought it and I did notice this during the test drive. I even brought it up with the sales guy, the sales manager, and the general manager - basically everyone involved with my deal. They initiated the service contact for me and ensured me a rental and promised me a fix and I never expected it would be anything more than maybe a faulty temp sensor or something stupid, but coming here and reading this freaks me the hell out and now I'm furious at myself for buying the car knowing the issue was there but assuming it would be a quick fix.

I'll be sure to note my progress on a fix in this thread should I be so lucky.

jayrod1980

Thanks Irish for the information. I find if my car has sat for a couple hours and I have it on 80 and it will get hot... Unless I back up. Also if I stop, open the door with the car running, get my mail or whatever and start moving it will go hi on the fan with the AC blasting.

So, being a mechanic... and seeing as how there doesn't seem to be a fix for the auto climate control issue, how about a manual control retrofit? anybody thought of that?? think it would work? i'm all about simple, and if a manual retrofit would work , i see that as less crap to go wrong in the future..??? thoughts?

heck, mine won't change vents now....it hardly blows from the defrost vent, it blows from the front vents and floor vents only and when I try to change it nothing happens :(. 2014 with just over 20,000miles. I hate to take it in for warranty work because of all of the other things done to my car, that's even if I have any warranty left.

Thanks Irish for the information. I find if my car has sat for a couple hours and I have it on 80 and it will get hot... Unless I back up. Also if I stop, open the door with the car running, get my mail or whatever and start moving it will go hi on the fan with the AC blasting.
I'm seeing the same sort of thing. This afternoon when I went to get my kid from preschool it actually worked normal. Shut the car off, got him from his classroom, started the car back up and it didn't work anymore, at least not below 83. 83 and up was scalding hot, 82 and below was pretty much A/C cold.

I dropped it off today and I'll be sure to post here with findings, either to help others get it fixed if I'm so fortunate, or to keep the word moving so Ford get's on the ball and actually finds a fix.

So, being a mechanic... and seeing as how there doesn't seem to be a fix for the auto climate control issue, how about a manual control retrofit? anybody thought of that?? think it would work? i'm all about simple, and if a manual retrofit would work , i see that as less crap to go wrong in the future..??? thoughts?
As a former mechanic, I agree with you. As a car buyer, I don't. I didn't pay for manual climate control, I paid for automatic climate control and I want functioning automatic climate control. If they were going to retrofit it to manual and ensure it works, they better be giving me some sort of check to cover the loss of a feature that actually means something to me. Granted, I didn't buy the car for the climate control, but I did get used to auto climate control in my last car, and in my wife's car, and I love having it so I expect it to work if it's there, and it is there.

Based on the numerous accounts I've seen of the issue on several forums and reddit, it's obvious that it is a bigger issue than just a couple people here and there. Today I was even allowed to sit in a different, non-ST Fiesta on the lot and it did the same crap. Ford engineering needs to find the issue and put out a recall, or at the very least a TSB, so it can be corrected. Being a former dealer mechanic I know how long that can take, however, and it scares the crap out of me being on the consumer end of it. Back in my Mazda days we had issues on MPV vans where the rear PCV hose would split and make the car run like crap. We fixed this multiple times a week for a good 6 months or more before Mazda finally issued the TSB/recall. I can totally see this being a lengthy issue, especially considering I haven't read of a single person with it being fixed yet.

heck, mine won't change vents now....it hardly blows from the defrost vent, it blows from the front vents and floor vents only and when I try to change it nothing happens :(. 2014 with just over 20,000miles. I hate to take it in for warranty work because of all of the other things done to my car, that's even if I have any warranty left.
That definitely sucks, but it sounds like yours is a different issue. I'd guess that the actuator responsible for moving the vent doors in the airbox is busted, or maybe the door itself. That said, while they may try, unless the mods you did directly broke the climate system they have no legal footing to stand on denying you warranty work on it.

jayrod1980

Irish, I'm glad you are as passionate about this as I am... And relieved in many ways that we have the same issue. I'm wondering if the PCM changes have anything to do with it. Probably nothing but intakes on 2016 are different... There could be a software screwup that is causing this. If it's happening to all 2016s then that is a good thing too because the ST is a really niche vehicle. When 5000 fiestas all check in with the dealer about this issue I'm sure a TSB will come out eventually. I just don't want them touching my plastic! I'd honestly rather have ford give me a new unit and let me install it myself. I HATE going to the dealer. I love ford cars/trucks but hate their dealerships. Ford needs to do something about that because it's hurting an otherwise good company. Other dealers of non-fords on average are more careful with respect to the job they do in my experience. They must really get boned out of compensation when they do warranty work.

Irish, I'm glad you are as passionate about this as I am... And relieved in many ways that we have the same issue. I'm wondering if the PCM changes have anything to do with it. Probably nothing but intakes on 2016 are different... There could be a software screwup that is causing this. If it's happening to all 2016s then that is a good thing too because the ST is a really niche vehicle. When 5000 fiestas all check in with the dealer about this issue I'm sure a TSB will come out eventually. I just don't want them touching my plastic! I'd honestly rather have ford give me a new unit and let me install it myself. I HATE going to the dealer. I love ford cars/trucks but hate their dealerships. Ford needs to do something about that because it's hurting an otherwise good company. Other dealers of non-fords on average are more careful with respect to the job they do in my experience. They must really get boned out of compensation when they do warranty work.
Yeah dude, I'm right there with you. I hate paying for something that doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I'm not truly 'mad' about it because I work in technology currently fixing things, and I was an auto tech when I was younger, so I get it, these things happen, but I do expect fixes in a reasonable amount of time and I don't appreciate being given a run-around. I admit, I haven't been given the run-around yet, but I see no reason to expect otherwise considering what I've read from everyone else that has the problem.

I'm with you on the hating to let them work on my car's interior thing too. I took about 50 pictures of my center console and dash, as well as a video (lol) before dropping it off so I have pre-service proof that the entire dash and console was scratch free.

You aren't wrong on the boned out of compensation thing, either. I can't say for certain since I haven't been a tech in a solid 10 years, but I don't believe the pay-style has changed and that style is called "flat rate". What this means is that a job pays a flat amount of time and you get that time whether you finish it faster, or slower, than the time. For example, a brake job might pay the tech 1 flat rate hour and if they finish in 15 minutes, they get paid an hour, but if it takes them 4 hours for some reason, they get paid an hour. When it comes to warranty work on non-special cars like Fords, Mazda, Hyundai, Honda, etc, the warranty rates are criminally low in most cases. I can remember a perfect example where I had to replace the entire HVAC airbox (its proper name slips my mind...) on a Mazda 6 once, which required completely removing the entire dashboard, and it paid like 1.2 hours but took more than that just to get the dash out, especially as a first time job that I'd not done before and didn't know the tricks to speed on. I believe I ended up spending a good 4-5 hours on that job just to get paid 1.2 and there was nothing I could do about it because it was warranty set. So in the end, it does force techs to rush warranty work so they can get to the better paying 'customer pay' jobs and as a result, things get broken, screws get missed, scratches happen, etc. Means nothing to you and I when our dashes rattle and our new cars are damaged, but speed is everything to them.

I'll put it to you this way, I used to pray for days when co-workers were out sick so I could 'dual bay' and use one bay for low paying, but time consuming warranty work and the other bay for in-and-out customer jobs that actually put food on my table and kept my lights on.

I just got my ST back from the dealer. They said that they received a memo from Ford stating that there is no current fix for this issue and to not attempt to fix it.

I just got my ST back from the dealer. They said that they received a memo from Ford stating that there is no current fix for this issue and to not attempt to fix it.
You're the second person to post that exact same thing. Unreal... :(

Out of curiosity, did they say anything else? Like... engineering is working on a fix, or we expect to have a fix in the next month or two... anything? Or did they literally say "Ford said don't touch it, sorry 'bout your luck, have a nice day"?

DaveG99

Just tested this out on my 1 week old fist. Heat only gets hot on HI. Even in manual mode it only gets hot when you set it to 84-85. Other than that it stays cold. Good thing I don't live in a cold climate. I don't ever use the heat

Just tested this out on my 1 week old fist. Heat only gets hot on HI. Even in manual mode it only gets hot when you set it to 84-85. Other than that it stays cold. Good thing I don't live in a cold climate. I don't ever use the heat
Cold climate or hot climate, full blast A/C isn't always what you want and having no range is where the real problem is. If the temperature gauge was just inaccurate I could deal, but I need some range in my temp control and I have none. Full bore heat is fine for a few minutes, but then it gets to be too much and I have to shut it off since anything less than HI is A/C cold. Few minutes later the car is getting cold and windows are fogging up... When the Spring rolls around I can't wait for those days where it's just too warm to comfortably keep the windows open but full blast A/C is entirely too much too considering that's the opposite end of the spectrum this issue impacts.

Maybe the stupid ass issue will actually be corrected by then but I'm certainly not expecting it to be based on the information available thus far.

DaveG99

Yeah ford needs to fix this. I don't think it does the same thing with the AC though. If it does I will go nuts when it's hot here

OP
S
Thread Starter #54
Ford engineers contacted my dealer last week claiming they know what part will fix the problem. My service rep unfortunately had no clue what they were going to replace, but I'll fill you all in when I do find out. I dropped the car off yesterday so hopefully this does the trick, although I'm not going to bet any money on it...

My car is also exhibiting the symptoms described in this thread. Nov. 30, 2015 build date here.
I reported the problem to the dealer, but have not taken my car in yet, nor am I willing to do so until a fix is found and a recall issued.

OP
S
Thread Starter #56
My car is also exhibiting the symptoms described in this thread. Nov. 30, 2015 build date here.
I reported the problem to the dealer, but have not taken my car in yet, nor am I willing to do so until a fix is found and a recall issued.
Hopefully what they're doing to my car is the solution so we can all get this taken care of!

I got my car back today with no fix, however in the dealer's credit they actually listened to me and didn't tear my dash apart or randomly change parts and instead went straight to Ford. It took two days for Ford to give them a proper update and that sucks, but they gave my car back to me stating what others have heard - no repair to be attempted at this time. They were more detailed with me, though, and said that Ford engineering absolutely acknowledged the issue and that it is impacting a large number of 2016 vehicles. I was told that engineering is actively working on a fix and a recall or TSB will be released as soon as possible based on the number of vehicles they believe to be impacted (recall if it's a large number, TSB if it isn't, but either way something is coming).

The good is that my dealer was up front with me and didn't just start throwing parts at it, tearing my dash up in the process. The "kinda good" is that while Ford does acknowledge it as a real issue there isn't a concrete fix yet, but they're working on it. The bad is that for an unforeseen amount of time we have to drive with malfunctioning climate control systems. It was funny, actually, we got a warm front and I used AUTO A/C on the way home from the dealer and it worked normally, but as soon as I stopped to go to 7-11 and restarted the car it blew full blast fans w/ ice cold air and never regulated. I changed it to manual and lowered the fan speed, but it was still max A/C cold :(.

Thanks for keeping us posted siberiankiss, you taking the time to do so is much appreciated.

OP
S
Thread Starter #58
No problem on the updates. I know how frustrating this problem is!

Bad news, I got an update on my car. Ford engineer's recommended part did not fix the problem. My dealer has ordered yet ANOTHER part that should be here tomorrow.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
In my case, it first blows cold air in auto for about 5 seconds then starts throwing heat. Does it every single time. As of it's coughing the cold air out of the system. It freezes me b4 heating me lol...but at least it works. i thought this was normal, for a Ford anyway, until i jumped on the forum. i was hesitant about buying my first american car but if this issue is as bad as it gets, i for one will be "thankful". Also leased it for this reason. if Fix Or Repair Daily is true, I'll just give it back and go back to mazda. very reliable cars. and the new speed3 should be out just as my lease is up ;)

And why hasnt our local Ford rep have more to say on this? Disappears when there's a real issue? Go Ford!

I think the Ford reps posted something about having to be away from the forum for a bit, but I agree, shitty timing.

siberiankiss - that sucks :(. Hopefully the next part helps, or at least gets them on the right track.