Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Climate Control Heater Issue

So this morning it is already 70 degrees and I am out running errands. I noticed that the air was coming out a bit cold with the HVAC set to 74. I turned it to 76 and it was a little more comfortable.

I wondered if the air was still "fixed" so I set the air to face, cranked up the fan and set the temp to 80. All I got was cold air to the face. But with the air set to 81 it was a little warmer.

Is the air supposed to be cold if it's hot out, without regard to the outside air temp? I didn't have it in auto (hate using auto on the HVAC with any car that's had it).

Or do I need to schedule another appt with service? FWIW I'll be going to a different dealer if that's what I have to do. The last were straight up assholes.
It's probably normal. I think a lot of people misunderstand how automatic climate control works. When you set it to "74" that doesn't mean "I want 74 degree air blowing in my face". What that means is "I want an average temp of 74 inside the cabin". You're saying it was a 70 degree day, and taking the sun into account it was very likely more than 74 degrees inside the cabin, which means it's going to blow cold air to bring that temp down. You turned it up probably to around the actual temp in the cabin, so you started getting neutral/warm air.

On a warm day like that I would expect the cilmate control to work that way, and on pretty much any car I've ever owned that had climate control, that's how it would have worked.

My car is def not normal, but I can live with it, since I am not against the cold.

Anything below HI is freezing in sub 40 weather and HI is warm, like its 32 out, and i set it to 70, it will blow 32 degree air in, how do I know? Kitchen thermometer, and my cabin is at 30 deg (over night chill remains).

Meh. I rather not go to the dealer. 2016, about 2.9k miles, had the car for 10 months now.

It's probably normal. I think a lot of people misunderstand how automatic climate control works. When you set it to "74" that doesn't mean "I want 74 degree air blowing in my face". What that means is "I want an average temp of 74 inside the cabin". You're saying it was a 70 degree day, and taking the sun into account it was very likely more than 74 degrees inside the cabin, which means it's going to blow cold air to bring that temp down. You turned it up probably to around the actual temp in the cabin, so you started getting neutral/warm air.

On a warm day like that I would expect the cilmate control to work that way, and on pretty much any car I've ever owned that had climate control, that's how it would have worked.
It was in my post but I don't mind repeating it. I didn't have the HVAC set to auto.

It was in my post but I don't mind repeating it. I didn't have the HVAC set to auto.
The only thing Auto mode has effect on is the fan speed, air direction, a/c compressor toggle, and recirc/fresh air. It doesn't have anything to do with the temperature control. The temp control strategy is based on cabin temp, not vent temp, regardless of mode.

The only thing Auto mode has effect on is the fan speed, air direction, a/c compressor toggle, and recirc/fresh air. It doesn't have anything to do with the temperature control. The temp control strategy is based on cabin temp, not vent temp, regardless of mode.
Gotcha... Hmm then maybe its working right?? I havent tested with it in the freezing cold because it is so warm here now. But ill be moving to Kentucky soon so I really just hope it works for when we move, granted itll be warmer there now if it isnt already.

It probably is fine. I mean I leave mine on 72F all the time and I rarely touch it. That's kinda the whole point. On cold days it'll blow heat (until the cabin reaches about 72, then it levels off to neutral warm), on hot days it'll blow cold. Once you get used to it you'll find that it's actually better than constantly fiddling with a temperature control knob trying to make yourself comfortable.

Dropped the car off yesterday for repair of the HVAC system. Also, having them look at the coolant system fan relay, perform Ziebart protection and do an oil change. Hopefully all is resolved / completed in the next couple of days. Driving the Fusion Hybrid is great for gas mileage, but a low driving experience...

Now that the weather has been warm enough for the need to turn my system off "HI"......my climate control does not wish to listen lol......last couple weeks it's been blowing nothing by hot air in any setting Auto/LOW/AC/Max AC etc.....it has a date with the dealer on Tuesday. It's already had both front struts, one of the roof drip rails, a seat belt tensioner, and alt./accessory belt replaced under warranty in the last 6 months. Only have 13,000k left until my warranty is done lol....hope all the gremlins work themselves out before that!!!! [8]

Ass just realized I have some HVAC issues, just got a 2016 a week ago. In manual I set the temps say 27.5 C and its blows pretty much cold and then all hot at about 28.5 C. So its all or nothing instead of gradual change.

I used auto climate a lot in the past year and hadn't really had too many issues. The ones I had fixed themselves with turning off the car and turning it back on. Such as one time it got stuck on full hot and I had to just shut the climate off because I was driving on the highway so a power cycle wasn't an option. Fixed on the next start of the car. Stuff like that happens with tech. Never happened again so I couldn't take it to the dealer and replicate the issue for them. I felt like maybe some of my issues might have been placebo. I never got the flash done. My car was several days outside of the build date (before, I have an early 2016) for the ones that supposedly had the issues.

OP
S
Thread Starter #297
To add to this fun little story... starting have a/c problems with the car now. Sitting in traffic it'll gradually stop blowing cold air until it's just blowing ambient temperature air (aka hot as hell here in Houston summer). It had been getting worse little by little as the temps were rising here. A few weeks ago I started hearing a clicking noise inside the dash from a blend door actuator. I finally took it in last week, and got it back today. They replaced the blend door actuator, and claimed that was the entire issue. Driving home from the dealership it went through one of it's warm air cycles, but eventually cooled off again. I'm fairly certain there's a leak somewhere in the system, probably from one of the many many many times it's all been taken apart and reassembled.

I have a bad feeling I'm going to be going round and round on this one too.

Took mine in for 1st service. Had them check the problem, no heat at 25 or 26c if you go 28 then too hot. They saw the problem but said the software was up to date and to just keep on observing it. I asked if they would change the module , they would only change it if there was no heat at all.���[:(!][:(!]

OP
S
Thread Starter #299
This will be my final post. After spending another 11 days at the dealership, and unable to replicate the problem (of course), I traded the car in. Just couldn't deal with this crap anymore. I traded it sight unseen to another dealership. The dealership I traded it to picked it up 5 days later. I received a phone call from the Ford dealer explaining that they were still unable to replicate the problem. So glad I don't have to deal with this crap anymore. Good luck to all of you, and to whoever buys my car...

Pretty sure the answer is no but is it possible to flash SSM-45658 myself with forscan? Wishful thinking that I can save $150 not taking it to the dealer...