Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Climate Control Heater Issue

I purchased my 2016 ST three weeks ago today. When I drove home from the dealer, it was ~40F outside and I immediately noticed that the heat would only come on if the auto climate control was set to HI. As soon as I turned it down to 85, the car would start blasting cold air through the vents. I have now taken the car to the dealer for repair on 4 occasions. First time I was told that I could not use automatic climate control in Texas, the second time the blend door actuator was replaced, third time the HVAC control module, and the fourth time they replaced a temp sensor. The climate controls are still not functioning properly. I drove for 40 minutes this morning with it set to HI, and it never got warm in the vehicle. Does anyone here have any other suggestions as to what the problem might be?

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Blower resistor? Do you get low blower speeds at all?
Intermittently. Today it would blow at low speeds, yesterday it would blow lower for about 30 seconds and then start blasting again. Once it starts blowing hard, it just blows that speed with varying degrees of cold air no matter what the temp setting is.

Intermittently. Today it would blow at low speeds, yesterday it would blow lower for about 30 seconds and then start blasting again. Once it starts blowing hard, it just blows that speed with varying degrees of cold air no matter what the temp setting is.
Hmm blower resistor is usually all or nothing. Is this on auto or max settings?

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Hmm blower resistor is usually all or nothing. Is this on auto or max settings?
It's most noticeable on auto. I haven't used the Max a/c or defrost settings to test what they will do. If I manually adjust the fan speed, it's still just cold air when it should be hot.

It's most noticeable on auto. I haven't used the Max a/c or defrost settings to test what they will do. If I manually adjust the fan speed, it's still just cold air when it should be hot.
Hey siberiankiss,

Congrats on your new ST - let's see how I can help bring that new car excitement back. Send over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll take a look.

Ask Nick with ford. [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] maybe he can help?
Thanks for looping me in, Vince62! :)

Nick

Mine does a similar thing. The heat really only is noticeable at HI. You'd think 85 would be warm? For the record I have '16 with 2k miles.

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
Mine does a similar thing. The heat really only is noticeable at HI. You'd think 85 would be warm? For the record I have '16 with 2k miles.
85 should be very warm. I drove a 14 ST as a lease for 2 years, and bought this one when I returned that one. In the winter 85 should always blow hot air. The three rentals I've had thus far work correctly, and anything over ~77 I get too warm.

The dealer has somehow managed to totally break mine now. It's only pulling in outside air even on HI. I drove with it on HI for 30 minutes this morning, and the cabin temp never went above 71F (I live in Houston, and luckily it's been warm this month).

Sorry for the thread jack but...My 2015 ST, WHY does it default to blowing cold air through the VENTS whenever the climate control is turned on or off? Lets say it gets warm inside, too warm so I decide to turn the system OFF, and when I do, it starts to blow cold air through the VENTS (even if my setting was set to the FLOOR) for a few seconds then actually turns OFF. Then when I go to turn it on again (hitting the floor button), it again blows cold air through the VENTS for a few seconds then revert back to my FLOOR setting on whatever temperature i has set previously. This REALLY bugs me! IS this normal or is there an update to improve this "logic"?

To the OC, I've stopped using the Auto feature a week into owning this car...it's really NOT accurate and seems very clumsy compared to other ACC I've used!

Mine works perfectly...? However I have discovered the chassis grounds are not cleaned of paint when the car is assembled. It causes many (seemingly) weird problems. My dealer didn't discover it, I did after they swapped all the parts they were allowed and then wanted to "tear into it" to find problem. I declined their warranty paid destruction and tracked it down myself in about 30 minutes of actual troubleshooting vs parts swapping. Your results may vary. BTW the dealer I bought from sold out to another dealer chain.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Same here. I cleaned off all the grounds on the chassis and coated them with dielectric grease. It helps with corrosion.

I have a 2016 with 1k miles and am having similar issues with the climate control as well. Mine will usually work the first drive of the day. The next time it is started up, the climate control doesn't work correctly anymore. Auto will blow full ac in a cold car if the temperature is set to anything less than HI. Manual control will only give heat if the control is set to HI as well. I took the car into the dealer today and was mostly dismissed. They put the climate control on HI and declared it was working fine. I had explained the issue to the service adviser and it seems something didn't make it to the tech. They agreed to take the car in next Monday and give me a rental while they troubleshooted the issue for a few days. Your post makes me not want to go through the effort if it won't yeild any results.

They are fixing a window they scratched while removing the window sticker anyway. Between the ac, the window, the notchy shifts, and trouble getting into first gear, I am not very impressed with this car. The dealer told me it shifts "fine" and there is nothing wrong with it.

I've noticed I've had to turn the temperature up higher than I should have to after the car is warmed up to get heat to come out and other times something around 73 feels way too hot. That's the only issues I've seen with my climate control. I never have set it on auto.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
.... Mine will usually work the first drive of the day. The next time it is started up, the climate control doesn't work correctly anymore. Auto will blow full ac in a cold car if the temperature is set to anything less than HI. Manual control will only give heat if the control is set to HI as well.... .
I made an account so I can state that the ST I purchaced new this weekend is exhibiting the same behavior. It is making it very hard to drive comforably in this cold winter. I really wish that I could just set it to a temperature like 72 and have it actually maintain it. PM'ed The Ford Service guy.

My auto climate control is now not functional at all as of today. There are only two modes now, full ac or full heat. I'm probably going to have the dealer hold off on tearing into it since I feel like this will be a recall very soon. Well I hope it will be anyway. I'd rather them not take everything apart and lose screws and make dash rattles at this point. I have been leaving it on high and using the windows to control the temperature for now. :/

I made an account so I can state that the ST I purchaced new this weekend is exhibiting the same behavior. It is making it very hard to drive comforably in this cold winter. I really wish that I could just set it to a temperature like 72 and have it actually maintain it. PM'ed The Ford Service guy.
My auto climate control is now not functional at all as of today. There are only two modes now, full ac or full heat. I'm probably going to have the dealer hold off on tearing into it since I feel like this will be a recall very soon. Well I hope it will be anyway. I'd rather them not take everything apart and lose screws and make dash rattles at this point. I have been leaving it on high and using the windows to control the temperature for now. :/
Hey, folks!

I'm Crystal; I'll be helping out here while Nick is out of the office this week. I responded to both of your PMs; be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out.

Crystal

OP
S
Thread Starter #18
So I guess my problem is not a one off!! As of today my car has been at the dealer a total of 27 days. There have been 4 repair attempts, all of which have failed. The dealer claims to be in contact with Ford engineers, and are awaiting a reply to see what they should do next. It's now been a week since there's been any progress made.

I decided to get a lawyer last week, and will be pursuing lemon law on the vehicle. God only knows the things that have been broken tearing my dash apart over and over again.

Good luck to anyone having similar issues.

Great, I think mine has the exact same issue. I've only driven it home from the dealer so I haven't played with it much yet but I turned it on auto and it just blew cold air at me. It was about 40 degrees outside. I turned the heat all the way to hi and then it did get warm. I will check more as I begin to drive it but please keep us all informed. It sounds like this is a large scale problem.

OP
S
Thread Starter #20
I'll definitely keep everyone updated as to what's going on.

The 4th part that was replaced was another temperature sensor. Ford instructed the tech to test all of the sensors on a cold start the next morning, and if all sensors read the same they were supposed to have an answer as to what part to look into next. The cold start was Tuesday, and all sensors read as expected, but now they still have no idea what they're supposed to do. I'm hoping to hear an update tomorrow.