Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

pelotonracer2's valve cover breather modification

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
As requested, here is some detailed information on the valve cover breather modification that I added to my FiST. First, I went to a local Pep Boys and found a nice blue anodized aluminum plug to screw into my new FSWERKs intake inlet tube. This replaces the 5/8ths or 1/2" black plastic elbow that comes pre-installed into the intake tubing. I used some thread tape on the threads to insure a good seal. I also bought a white Spectre breather filter http://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=3998 at the same time (which you can also find at Autozone, O'Reily's, Pep Boys, or most other auto parts stores). I chose white so that it would be easy to visually check for oil leakage. I then headed to Home Depot to source a 5/8ths elbow with threads and 3/8ths brass barb which threaded onto the plastic elbow perfectly. Once home, I removed the clamp that holds the rigid hose that goes to the inlet tube, screwed the brass 3/8ths garden hose adaptor onto the plastic elbow and inserted the barbed side 5/8ths nipple into the remaining rubber hose. I ended up having to cut away a very small amount of the hose so that when fitted, the breather cap would not touch or vibrate against the intake tube. I then used a zip tie to secure. I plan on using a clamp so that I can position the breather and then tighten down but a zip tie works for now. The end results is below. This modification keeps hot, oily air (or gasses) from flowing into your intake which can in theory elevate intake temps significantly. Even with an open element air filter, IATs never seem to go above 10 degrees above outside air temps, even at long sustained idle and or heavy use. Is this what you were after MKVIIST? heh [wink]

Attachments

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
This is perfect, thank you!

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I like it, the screw on thing is neat. Let us know how it goes over a period of time, I would be interest if the breather oils soaks and drips.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I like it, the screw on thing is neat. Let us know how it goes over a period of time, I would be interest if the breather oils soaks and drips.
Nothing so far after around 250km... [like]

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Thanks pelotonracer2, another repped added.

TheStig

PR get us a damn sound clip of that intake! I wanna hear woosh woosh noises!

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
PR get us a damn sound clip of that intake! I wanna hear woosh woosh noises!
I will if someone can tell me how to reformat my video uploads so that my 1 minute videos don't take an hour to upload to youtube! bwahahaha. [facepalm] The Scorpion exhaust video took like 30 minutes to upload to youtube and it's lass than 2 minutes of video. Doh! [dunno][screwy][:0]

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
What do you use for a editor ? and no it should not take that long unless you are on dial up then nevermind...

Grab a program called handbrake. It's free, and pretty easy to use. You choose the video to encode, tell it where to go, set it to mp4 format, check the box for web friendly, and hit go. It compresses it to something much more usable in size. Shoot me a pm if you try this and get stuck.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Grab a program called handbrake. It's free, and pretty easy to use. You choose the video to encode, tell it where to go, set it to mp4 format, check the box for web friendly, and hit go. It compresses it to something much more usable in size. Shoot me a pm if you try this and get stuck.
Thanks, I'll have to look into it... [like]

sorry to bother... What is the main purpose of this mod? o_O
Basically the combustion process forces some gases past the piston rings into the crank-case, and there needs to be a way for those gasses to escape, which is the PCV system. By default the crank case ventilation vents back into the intake. There's usually an oil separator that separates most of the oil from the air, and then pushes the air back into the intake. Some kind of system is required by law on every car.

Unfortunately like pelotonracer2 stated, this can raise your intake temps or even send some oil spittle into your intake, neither of which are good! This method filters the oil from the air, vents it to the atmosphere, and being at a slight upward angle should let the oil just drain back into the valve cover area.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Basically the combustion process forces some gases past the piston rings into the crank-case, and there needs to be a way for those gasses to escape, which is the PCV system. By default the crank case ventilation vents back into the intake. There's usually an oil separator that separates most of the oil from the air, and then pushes the air back into the intake. Some kind of system is required by law on every car.

Unfortunately like pelotonracer2 stated, this can raise your intake temps or even send some oil spittle into your intake, neither of which are good! This method filters the oil from the air, vents it to the atmosphere, and being at a slight upward angle should let the oil just drain back into the valve cover area.
Yes, no oil had dripped out of the filter. It is still relatively clean, despite being white. [like]

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Why not install an air/oil separator? Then you don'y need to worry about oil dripping, and you have a receptacle to catch the oil.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured this may help shed some light for those going big turbo, routing blow off valve lines and this line where [MENTION=241]pelotonracer2[/MENTION] installed a breather filter. Concerning this line, there were some changes in the 2016 models, because mine has a sensor in it. This makes adding a breather filter nearly impossible, not without possibly complicating the sensor or the reading it sends to the ECU. I originally wanted to put a breather filter on this line like the OP did and route the upper blow off valve line to the intake port where the valve cover line routes to but the sensor could create a potential problem.

As such, I came up with a pretty clever method that should work well once I go big turbo and use my Turbosmart external blow off valve. I didn't want to modify my Mishimoto intake by adding another port to it.

The 2016 line with the sensor, then goes to the intake port above.

The Turbosmart blow off valve (Kombact Plumb Back recirculated)

The charge pipe where one inlet goes into, the other has to go to the intake, but the line above creates a problem. The other outlet circled, needs to go to the intake somehow.

My solution. I will be using a 3/4" vacuum tee off the valve cover, running the line from the blow off valve outlet circled above to the top of the tee and leaving the rest of the line with the sensor to remain connected to the intake.

If anyone has questions let me know, I hope this makes sense.

felopr

Mother of resurrected thread incoming [hihi]
So, [MENTION=241]pelotonracer2[/MENTION] , how has the breather filter help up after all this years, if you still are running it
Still clean? any unforeseen problems?