Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Regarding fitment and rubbing for 205/45/17 tires

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #42
I'm quite fond of the PSS as a daily driver tire. As mentioned above, they're noticeably slower in competition to me. The height, increased weight, larger diameter, etc all increase the gearing to a point where it's less efficient enough to be noticeable when pushing the car. Totally absent if you're just bombing around town, however. You'll sooner notice that the increased ride comfort, reduced tire noise, and improved longitudinal grip from the PSS is much more prominent than the negative factors compared to something like the RE050A the car comes with. Also they will seemingly last forever.

We just installed 205/45 Continental DW tires and get minor rubbing on the biggest bumps. However, this is my wife's car and it's on the softer Ford Performance suspension so there is more compliance in the shocks and springs than most drivers here will have or want. The two together have transformed the ride quality - it's VERY comfortable and quiet now even though I'm running 37PSI all around on the tires. Only now is my wife saying it's a little softer than she prefers, but I get the impression it's not THAT much of a complaint. I guess I'll get around to getting pictures of this setup since I doubt anyone else out there is running this combination, not that I think there are a lot of people aiming to do this kind of set up.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #47
We just installed 205/45 Continental DW tires and get minor rubbing on the biggest bumps. However, this is my wife's car and it's on the softer Ford Performance suspension so there is more compliance in the shocks and springs than most drivers here will have or want. The two together have transformed the ride quality - it's VERY comfortable and quiet now even though I'm running 37PSI all around on the tires. Only now is my wife saying it's a little softer than she prefers, but I get the impression it's not THAT much of a complaint. I guess I'll get around to getting pictures of this setup since I doubt anyone else out there is running this combination, not that I think there are a lot of people aiming to do this kind of set up.
When you describe "the biggest bumps" is that the same territory as bottoming out the suspension? My PSS were similar dimensions and I autocrossed the hell out of them with nary a single rub.

When you describe "the biggest bumps" is that the same territory as bottoming out the suspension?
I would say so, yes. It wasn't a violent bottoming out of the suspension though - it was a slight dip with a bump in the middle hit at about 55 MPH. Tire pressures were 39 PSI at the time, though, before I caught how high they were and brought them down. I tried to replicate the rubbing @ 37 PSI and couldn't. My wife reported rubbing on a turn but it's difficult to get the details of what happened so I hesitate to mention it. Tires are still at maximum tread depth too. It seems like it will be a very minor issue so far.

Got to take the car on some legit twisties - oh yeah, we got rubbing. On the tightest hardest corners the car would emit a constant rub. It varied a little depending on how much forward weight was being transferred, but it was not subtle. This was with my wife and I and a full tank of gas + some stuff. And to review, this is on Ford Performance Handling Pack suspension, 205/45-17 Continental Sport Contact DW tires @ 37PSI on stock wheels and a conservative alignment.

My wife wont drive the car that hard, but I was a little disappointed with the amount of rubbing. Took pictures, but none of them are any good - lighting wasn't ideal. Good pics will have to wait a little while.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #51
And to review, this is on Ford Performance Handling Pack suspension, 205/45-17 Continental Sport Contact DW tires @ 37PSI on stock wheels and a conservative alignment.
That is your issue right there. These tires won't fit on a lowered car very nicely. I had enough room to autocross on mine with no issues, but am on stock suspension. You'll destroy your fender liners running tires of this size with a lowered car.

Well, I don't think it's that dire. In daily driving we nearly never have an issue. In the twisties you don't have an issue until you are at about 9/10ths. This is all OK for our usage but for people to autocross or hit the twisties often yes, you will have a significant problem. Also, my spring rates are softer than stock - something to keep in mind.

Oh, forgot to mention that I don't think the handling pack lowers the suspension. It lowers the standard Fiesta just a bit. I think it's the softer-than-stock spring rates that are leading to the rubbing on our particular car.

Stock springs, Cooper Zeon RS3, 205/45/17 - No rubbing with up to three people in the car. With four, I might have heard a very slight rub in the rear, but I haven't heard anything in the front. Street experience only, no track events or off-roading.

I have the RS3 in 205-40-17 and was about to pull the trigger on the 205-45-17 when I noticed they were SL rated instead of XL rated. Does this matter on our cars?