Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mishimoto Oil Cooler Install Tips

Chuckable

Had the opportunity to install a Mishimoto Oil Cooler (with thermostat) over the New Year's weekend and thought I'd post up a few tips for the next person to do an install:

1) Make sure you have a 12mm hex socket which is long enough. Or, go to Home Depot and all the local parts stores all afternoon looking for one.
2) Buy extra insulation for the steel braided hoses. It's useful to cover them where the hoses route around the front crash structure, around the radiator support, and into the engine bay.
3) Take extra care in watching where the lines route inside the engine bay. They can come very close to the radiator hose and AC hard lines.
4) If you're going to open up the grille at all, plan on it taking longer than expected. A Dremel tool with a cut off wheel comes in handy.
5) The OEM radiator has a bleed port at the top center. This is so much easier than other cars.
6) When you first start the car after the install, hold down the accelerator and clutch pedals at the same time, then push the start button. The car will crank but not fire. Push the button again to disengage the starter. Don't overheat the starter. This will help build up some pressure and fill the new oil cooler lines with oil so that there is less chance of starvation upon initial start-up.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps someone in the future.

After the install, did you drive around to get the oil up to temp so the thermostat opens up and then check and fill the oil back up a bit? Going to tackle this in the next few days. Thanks for the tips!

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #3
We added about 3/4 of a quart of oil, and then started the car and let it run to come up to temp. The oil filter still had some oil in it as well, so I take that into account when Mishimoto says to add about 1 quart. While letting it come up to temp I also bled the cooling system. Very little coolant was lost because we clamped the factory oil cooler coolant hoses.

Good luck with the install [wrenchin]

mishimoto1

Had the opportunity to install a Mishimoto Oil Cooler (with thermostat) over the New Year's weekend and thought I'd post up a few tips for the next person to do an install:

1) Make sure you have a 12mm hex socket which is long enough. Or, go to Home Depot and all the local parts stores all afternoon looking for one.
2) Buy extra insulation for the steel braided hoses. It's useful to cover them where the hoses route around the front crash structure, around the radiator support, and into the engine bay.
3) Take extra care in watching where the lines route inside the engine bay. They can come very close to the radiator hose and AC hard lines.
4) If you're going to open up the grille at all, plan on it taking longer than expected. A Dremel tool with a cut off wheel comes in handy.
5) The OEM radiator has a bleed port at the top center. This is so much easier than other cars.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps someone in the future.
After the install, did you drive around to get the oil up to temp so the thermostat opens up and then check and fill the oil back up a bit? Going to tackle this in the next few days. Thanks for the tips!
We added about 3/4 of a quart of oil, and then started the car and let it run to come up to temp. The oil filter still had some oil in it as well, so I take that into account when Mishimoto says to add about 1 quart. While letting it come up to temp I also bled the cooling system. Very little coolant was lost because we clamped the factory oil cooler coolant hoses.

Thanks for posting up these tips Chuckable! Enjoy the oil cooler system and let us know what you think once you've logged some mileage.

-John

Didn't do it this weekend, heh. When you clamped the coolant hoses, did you just go ahead and install the bypass piece? Seems easier than having two vice grips hanging around ;)

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #6
Yes, just went ahead and installed the pipe then. Didn't want to leave the hoses clamped for that long out of fear that it may cause them damage. You'll still have plenty of room even with the pipe installed.

Did it this weekend. After trying to hunt down a long enough 12mm hex I got it all done. Hopefully I have enough room around the AC lines. I put the sheathing around the lines there so it should protect them.

I did notice a little more noise inside the cabin now. Anyone else notice that? It's a little bit of a hum that follows rpm.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #8
Yes, a whining-type noise that is more prominent at lower speeds and before the engine is warm. Mishimoto say its normal.

koozy

3000 Post Club
No weird noises noticed here after the install and doesn't make sense why there would be from an oil cooler install.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
No weird noises noticed here after the install and doesn't make sense why there would be from an oil cooler install.
+1 to this. I was very ocd with insulating all the hoses on my kit when I did my install. I actually still check my oil cooler weekly for leaks.

Only thing I can think of is the factory oil cooler block was acting as a noise insulator. Everything else checks out so I'm not concerned.

AZST

Interesting find, guys...
Couldn't find a long enough 12mm socket for this at the hour I was working. Strangely enough, a 3/8" extension works just as well.