Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GB Disklok group buy

Trader history for Synergist (0)

After my ST was stolen, I've bought a disklok for my new motor. Yesterday I emailed Disklok out of curiosity to ask group buys -- I'm considering organising one for my street!

Their response is that yes, Disklok offer a 15% discount off their RRP for orders of 10 units or more, and a pretty healthy 20% discount for an order of 20 units or more. Their RRP for the Small size (in Silver or Yellow) which fits the ST180 is £99.99, so £85 for orders of 10-19 and £80 for 20+.

They also sell their velcro-backed storage case for £8.99 which I suspect would also be included in the discount if you bought at the same time.

Diskloks weigh ~15 KG and measure 41.8 x 41.4 x 8.2 cm. I live in the West Midlands but courier prices (at least on parcel2go) seem to be coming out between £7 and £9 (cheapest seems to be DPD via Interparcel). Chances are if there was enough interest they may even offer a bigger discount for a larger order.

A bulk order would involve me ordering in one go and shipping to people, I'm definitely happy to coordinate this but I'd need the cash in the first place from people to place the order (easiest I suspect would be Paypal). I'd probably courier them or drop them round if people are in the area and it would cost less for petrol.

The woman at Disklok who I emailed said that individual orders from their site can benefit from a 10% discount code. I didn't ask more about that at the time but I can follow up with her if there's only a trickle of interest. (They do offer free shipping on their web site.)

Any interest?

Edit: if you're on the FiestaSTOC forums, there's a Members-only group buy discount thread from February which has an active 10% off code.

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Discussion:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=947485&i=20

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/disklok-steering-wheel-lock-review/

One of a couple of aftermarket car security products which is Thatcham Category 3 approved: http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/disklok-approved-by-thatcham-security/

Thatcham, which does testing for the car insurance industry, recommends only two aftermarket locks for cars — one of which is the Disklok. To win that endorsement, which should be recognised by any car insurer, it must be capable of withstanding a two-minute power-tool attack and a five-minute assault by a thief armed with hand tools.
http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?page=75&c=cat3

KKaWing

Or just get a brake lock anti-theft device and hook it to the clutch for something around $25 bucks on amazon. Can't start the car in the first place...

MOFiST

After my ST was stolen, I've bought a disklok for my new motor. Yesterday I emailed Disklok out of curiosity to ask group buys -- I'm considering organising one for my street!

Their response is that yes, Disklok offer a 15% discount off their RRP for orders of 10 units or more, and a pretty healthy 20% discount for an order of 20 units or more. Their RRP for the Small size (in Silver or Yellow) which fits the ST180 is £99.99, so £85 for orders of 10-19 and £80 for 20+.

They also sell their velcro-backed storage case for £8.99 which I suspect would also be included in the discount if you bought at the same time.

Diskloks weigh ~15 KG and measure 41.8 x 41.4 x 8.2 cm. I live in the West Midlands but courier prices (at least on parcel2go) seem to be coming out between £7 and £9 (cheapest seems to be DPD via Interparcel). Chances are if there was enough interest they may even offer a bigger discount for a larger order.

A bulk order would involve me ordering in one go and shipping to people, I'm definitely happy to coordinate this but I'd need the cash in the first place from people to place the order (easiest I suspect would be Paypal). I'd probably courier them or drop them round if people are in the area and it would cost less for petrol.

The woman at Disklok who I emailed said that individual orders from their site can benefit from a 10% discount code. I didn't ask more about that at the time but I can follow up with her if there's only a trickle of interest. (They do offer free shipping on their web site.)

Any interest?

Edit: if you're on the FiestaSTOC forums, there's a Members-only group buy discount thread from February which has an active 10% off code.
I'm curious how your car was stolen or if you know?
There was talk that immobilizers on our cars can be bypassed through the OBD2 port.

[video=youtube;dvmSOEKfkug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmSOEKfkug[/video]

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I'm curious how your car was stolen or if you know?
There was talk that immobilizers on our cars can be bypassed through the OBD2 port.

[video=youtube;dvmSOEKfkug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmSOEKfkug[/video]
Exactly that. OBD remains active to the ECU even with ignition off. With cheap preprogrammed dongle, thieves can plug in, disable the immobiliser then program a new keyfob. They stole mine within 2 minutes. Problem has affected many BMW, Audi, Volkswagen, Ford etc for a few years now.

I got to the front door just in time to see them reverse off my drive...

Worryingly the Fiestas also seem to have a black spot in the interior sensors and they can't detect a small hole being punched in the side window - all thieves have to do is reach in with their arm and plug straight into the OBD.

There's other vids on youtube showing the dongles close up that they use. They have a cheap RFID keyfob programmer and a blank key ready to go, plug in, push the run button and key is made.

There's pictures online showing broken windows too, I'll dig one out if I find it. They smashed my driver's window and the alarm didn't go off! All that was left is broken glass.

MOFiST

It boggles my mind why this isn't a bigger issue.
Perhaps our cars aren't "highly prized" by most thieves who are looking at the top end.
When I heard about this issue I dusted off my old "long arm" steering wheel lock.
Just then I looked for reviews on that item and low and behold I found this comparison.
http://www.ovat.be/Artikels/Steering%20Locks%20test%20by%20AutoExpress.pdf

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thieves prob can't find one to steal, lol.
Same thieves prob have 85 focus ST's in there hide out, lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have $1800 in the alarm in my dually but $600 was to control the windows and a few hundred for another part I do not post much about. Normal cost would be more like $3k but I helped a bit and it was a buddy doing the job, dealer cost on parts.....it $60k truck with a lot of expensive mods done so well worth it and our dogs are in it so protecting them as high value purebreds.

The system we just put in the FiST, no idea on the cost yet but around 20 hours labor, higher end unit, upgrades....remote start and one other aspect not yet finished and not doing the window controls as it would cost as much as the truck window setup and I found I can live without it. I have not decided yet to do the same not mentioned bit on the truck install, in the end it would still be around a $2500-3k system due to so much labor, how well integrated and hidden. Doing what I can as full time RVing I have no way to redo the hundreds if not a thousand or more hours of custom tweaks my car has been through.

Nothing is fool proof of course, just doing what I can.

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
For anyone late to the thread, the group buy didn't happen due to lack of interest, but you can now use code LRO16 to get 10% off on their online shop. [like]

MOFiST

So I did stumble on this youtube vid.
I guess a pro thief will likely be carrying a portable angle grinder.

[video]https://youtu.be/X4jbXkqEKMk?t=9m5s[/video]

SteveE

For anyone late to the thread, the group buy didn't happen due to lack of interest, but you can now use code LRO16 to get 10% off on their online shop. [like]
Thanks for the heads-up on the discount code.

I'm collecting new ST this Friday and was planning to get a Disklok for the car anyway, so the 10% is a welcome bonus.

Cheers
steve

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are the STs a high theft item in Jolly 'Ol England (like the Cossie RSes/WRCs were in the past, and I'm guessing the last gen Focus RS was)??

On this side of the pond the thieves probably don't even know what they are, let alone have any desire for them, and concentrate on the 'rolling appliances' (Camrys, Accords, etc.), and maybe the Civic SIs almost exclusively, besides all SUVs/trucks. [wink]

Car parts must be in demand for thieves to even want to steal a car. In America there isn't that demand for FiST parts.

Would the access port anti-theft map defeat this OBD attack?

So I did stumble on this youtube vid.
I guess a pro thief will likely be carrying a portable angle grinder.

[video]https://youtu.be/X4jbXkqEKMk?t=9m5s[/video]
The guy I want testing my security is the dude with with the neck tattoo of Jesus, hands down.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wonder if the thieves over there carry around Vise Grips to steer the cars with which have QD steering wheel setups, and which the owners take the steering wheel WITH them when they leave the car somewhere? [dunno] [histerical]