Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Let's talk Fiesta ST hitches

The fiesta st is a towing machine. Ended up going with the drawtide hitch. The muffler does hit the trailer hitch, I tried Cobb hangers and it eliminated most of the noise. I think I'm going to try the 3in mbrp exhaust in the spring. Let me just say the hill brake assist is awesome to have at the boat launch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
All I can say is.....NO......NO......NO......AND NO. This hitch crap is for Trucks and SUVs....not a FiST. If you want to tow....Buy a vehicle that can Tow and is meant for it. But then again people will do what they wanna do. But remember Towing puts a strain on vehicles that are not properly equipped. (Stepped off soap box).[lovest]

Yep, tow my bikes a few times a month on a Kuat rack and continue to tow bigger stuff with a 4x8 harbor freight utility trailer. I ended up keeping the hidden hitch and have completely eliminated any knocking with the three COBB exhaust hangers.

I recently towed 25 bags of mulch with the car, so thats 500lbs + trailer which is a new record for me. Probably wouldn't do it every day, but car did fine considering the weight of the mulch and the wheelbase of the car. I would say power wise the Fiesta feels better than my old Ford Ranger with that much weight. The only slight issue is that trailer kind of starts to disrupt the car a bit on big bumps but it was never out of control. I was surprised at how little the rear end sagged, so no issues with suspension travel. I generally keep the tongue weight pretty low, so that might have impacted the balance a bit.

Wife has a SUV with 2" receiver, but I still like being able to use my car from time to time and I also use the trailer to avoid putting anything smelly inside the car like gas cans, oil, mulch, lawnmowers, trash or other house project garbage or dump materials, etc. The trailer was $150 which is about half of the cost of property tax on a Ford Ranger for a year in VA so for me it's just more practical.

Every once in a while posters like to come on this thread and complain about towing with the car, but take it from someone who does it a few times a month. Towing so far, totally safe, no issues on Fiesta ST.

codestp202

The trailer hitch butthurt around here really is astounding.
I agree. I mean this is a fucking ford fiesta at the end of the day guys. Its a sub 25k car. It's not like we're putting a hitch on a 250k exotic (which honestly I would also be fine with). My buddies dad put a hitch on his 911. Why not use these cars for multiple purposes?

Ordered the Draw-Tite 24855. I really wanted to get the Curt since it's American made but I didn't care for the look.

Heads up: Draw-tite also has a new part 24916 number (it's also $15 bucks cheaper on E-trailer) that replaces the 24855 but that's not out for another few weeks (as of April 12, 2017). Draw-tite said they made slight modifications: the draw bar is slightly longer or something? Meh.. couldn't wait, I have some stuff to tow at the end of the month. I would be curious if it fits our STs any better.

BTW Etrailer has a 5% code that works so I saved a few bucks there. (google around for that)

** Correction the new Draw-Tite part number is 24961 **

Last edited:

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Not sure if posted this before but I made my own well hidden hitch for a C6 Vette because the brand name ones were so dang heavy, mine was around 6 lbs or may of been less and passed inspection as well as was offered a fabrication job at a long time well regarded custom hitch and trailer manufacturer:)

It would be easy if I had a lift and big bright shop like I had when I built up the car but now have to work on the ground outside in the RV park but they will let me do it at least.

I will work on one that is as simple as possible and passes through the rear fake grill to be high enough for our trailer and weigh much less.

My good Miller welder is in storage, buried, I bought a HF inverter stick welder for the RV and it works quite well but have to read up to ensure it can weld the gauge of metal I would want to use.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Not sure if posted this before but I made my own well hidden hitch for a C6 Vette because the brand name ones were so dang heavy, mine was around 6 lbs or may of been less and passed inspection as well as was offered a fabrication job at a long time well regarded custom hitch and trailer manufacturer:)

It would be easy if I had a lift and big bright shop like I had when I built up the car but now have to work on the ground outside in the RV park but they will let me do it at least.

I will work on one that is as simple as possible and passes through the rear fake grill to be high enough for our trailer and weigh much less.

My good Miller welder is in storage, buried, I bought a HF inverter stick welder for the RV and it works quite well but have to read up to ensure it can weld the gauge of metal I would want to use.
Now that makes sense, something that is not hanging under. If you get one organized I will steal you idea I think. Got an older 15kw welder genny that can weld anything.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If I do this and it turns out as expected, I might have to tack weld it then pay to have it fully welded if the little welder is not up to par, I will draw it up and pass on the info for others to have one made if they wish.

NOTE: This will not be DOT, etc... approved unless taken on by a pro shop, manf, etc and could end up weighing more due to set standards and it will take a bit more effort to install but it would not drag the ground or be way overly heavy like the production ones now available. It would also show but a red euro style fog light could be installed, etc...something functional for those not hauling bikes, towing all the time, etc.

the problem with the drawtite hitch that I have is with my bike rack and bikes, it bounces quite a bit.
I am thinking of sort-of copying what catbutt did and getting it bolted thru the spare tire pan.
basically welding a bar to the drawtite hitch, and bolting it to the pan in several places.

I would LOVE to have a nice hidden setup like his that doesn't bounce all over the place.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ordered the Draw-Tite 24855. I really wanted to get the Curt since it's American made but I didn't care for the look.

Heads up: Draw-tite also has a new part 24916 number (it's also $15 bucks cheaper on E-trailer) that replaces the 24855 but that's not out for another few weeks (as of April 12, 2017). Draw-tite said they made slight modifications: the draw bar is slightly longer or something? Meh.. couldn't wait, I have some stuff to tow at the end of the month. I would be curious if it fits our STs any better.

BTW Etrailer has a 5% code that works so I saved a few bucks there. (google around for that)
Where did you get this information about the new part number? Everything I see shows that hitch (24916) being for a Mitsubishi Mirage..

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You could probably do the job fine with some well placed straps but flattened ends on round tubing is easy to do and would be stronger and can be thinner gauge so not that much weight, bolt them on. Triangulation is always best, sheet metal where you can use it, etc but you would need it welded then. I might have to dig out my bench press and dimple dies when I make my hitch, it would be a fun project:)

Edit:
Another option that would work better overall is to add some bracing from the top most part of the bike rack frame to the top outer edges of the hatch under the spoiler so not really seen. Since you cannot really open the hatch when the bike rack is mounted, I would imagine at least that is so, it would not be a real issue and they can be made to come off easily.

Edit 2:
Most of the noise, etc, from hitches is the fitment of the receiver, I have a 2" version of a clamp that fits in that area to make it really solid, I would imagine a 1.25" version is available. If not then drill into the sides of the receiver, tap and then put in a bolt in the side and one on the bottom and tighten them up, I have done this mod and it worked great.

Last edited:
the 1up rack very easily drops down to access the hatch when loaded, so straps are a no go for me
I will figure something out soon, it is driving me crazy.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I dug out and brought my Miller 110/220/spool gun ready welder home from storage today and the big arse gas bottle that I barely made fit in the car so I can finish up another project a little HF inverter stick welder was having a hard time on. That said I will keep the welder here but trade the tank in for a smaller one I can carry in the RV, I might just do the hitch and if so I will do all the welding as well. Once done I will give away the specs, etc...to anybody wanting to build one for themselves or to sell to others.

I would hope to come out well below 10lbs, might be even less if one does not mind laying down, reaching up behind the bumper cover and pulling the pin to pull out the hitch ball mount.

If I did it this way it will barely show when not being used and weigh even less:)

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I dug out and brought my Miller 110/220/spool gun ready welder home from storage today and the big arse gas bottle that I barely made fit in the car so I can finish up another project a little HF inverter stick welder was having a hard time on. That said I will keep the welder here but trade the tank in for a smaller one I can carry in the RV, I might just do the hitch and if so I will do all the welding as well. Once done I will give away the specs, etc...to anybody wanting to build one for themselves or to sell to others.

I would hope to come out well below 10lbs, might be even less if one does not mind laying down, reaching up behind the bumper cover and pulling the pin to pull out the hitch ball mount.

If I did it this way it will barely show when not being used and weigh even less:)
If you do good welds you could probably find lots of buyers here... Myself being one =)