Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Let's talk Fiesta ST hitches

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Trailer is probably 200lbs. Tires are probably 150lbs. Another 100lbs for your fuel can, jack and jack stands, and that's with grossly underestimated weights lol. "Misc crap" adds up especially if that includes your tools. EZup is another 20lbs... Prepare to be surprised.

Btw, Pro Tip: if you're only talking 1 quick fill jug, you probably shouldn't say "fuel jugs" as in plural.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Woods247

2000 Post Club
100lbs of fuel for a trackday?? Anyway, I’m about to build a little HF tire trailer because I’m tired of replacing soft tires and I’d be pissed if I flatted on the way to the track. I looked at buying a small car hauler to pull with my truck but poor fuel economy, trailer price and trailer storage don’t make since. I have many great tracks within a resonable drive. My car is street legal and will likely achieve mid 20s mpgs pulling the trailer to the track, so why not just drive it? The trailer is 150lbs, VP 5gal is 30lbs, wheels are 150lbs, straps and tools and shit are probably 100lbs so my setup shouldn’t be 500lbs. I’m okay towing 500 though. I’m actually pulling a leaf out of the trailers spring pack because it’s rated for 1075lbs. I can always put stuff in the car to lighten the trailer if needed too. I’m not concerned about my brakes though lol.

I’m still trying to decide on a hitch. Curt looks to be the least fugly other than the custom hidden deal that was posted earlier. Not sure if I could pull with that design though. I can’t stand the look of a hitch on a car. I’m sure it’ll drive me nuts unless I come up with a hidden design.

Jerickson88

100lbs of fuel for a trackday?? Anyway, I’m about to build a little HF tire trailer because I’m tired of replacing soft tires and I’d be pissed if I flatted on the way to the track. I looked at buying a small car hauler to pull with my truck but poor fuel economy, trailer price and trailer storage don’t make since. I have many great tracks within a resonable drive. My car is street legal and will likely achieve mid 20s mpgs pulling the trailer to the track, so why not just drive it? The trailer is 150lbs, VP 5gal is 30lbs, wheels are 150lbs, straps and tools and shit are probably 100lbs so my setup shouldn’t be 500lbs. I’m okay towing 500 though. I’m actually pulling a leaf out of the trailers spring pack because it’s rated for 1075lbs. I can always put stuff in the car to lighten the trailer if needed too. I’m not concerned about my brakes though lol.

I’m still trying to decide on a hitch. Curt looks to be the least fugly other than the custom hidden deal that was posted earlier. Not sure if I could pull with that design though. I can’t stand the look of a hitch on a car. I’m sure it’ll drive me nuts unless I come up with a hidden design.
I have the drawtite. Not a bad set up. I bolted it over the heat shield and wrapped two zip ties around the rear hanger and it dropped the exhaust a pinch. No banging unless I hit huge bumps. Carried our luggage to the beach on a cargo basket. Just need a heat shield on the basket by the exhaust!

Literally installed in 30 minutes or less.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I installed a Curt hitch but is was not for going to the track.

There is still room for fuel, floor jack, and tools.

Dave

Woods247

2000 Post Club

Dave
I have no interest in piling tires and fuel into my car. People do it. Not me.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Some people are financially challenged and cannot afford a truck and trailer (like me). :)

Dave

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Some people are financially challenged and cannot afford a truck and trailer (like me). :)

Dave
I know what you mean. My Wife has a hitch on her Mazda 3. We put the seats down and use it as a truck kind of.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Trailer is probably 200lbs. Tires are probably 150lbs. Another 100lbs for your fuel can, jack and jack stands, and that's with grossly underestimated weights lol. "Misc crap" adds up especially if that includes your tools. EZup is another 20lbs... Prepare to be surprised.

Btw, Pro Tip: if you're only talking 1 quick fill jug, you probably shouldn't say "fuel jugs" as in plural.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You can tow 500LBs easy I did 300 miles with this setup, only problem was I was overheating bought a mountune radiator and it took care of that problem. I have the Curt hitch, trailer + bike is right around 500lbs, cab was filled with camping gear as well and two 5 gallon gas cans.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
My Curt hitch says to use support straps from the receiver to the top of the hatch, if the receiver is being used for a cargo rack or bike carrier. Ha! As if! My rack weighs 5lbs and my bike is 25lbs. Max tongue weight is 200lbs. I think it'll be alright Mr. Curt.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I used the Kurt hitch a few times when I was down to one vehicle for a few months and towed a couple of loads of around 600lbs up over the Sierras quite easily, towed much better than expected. I now have a 4runner rated for 7k and a bigger trailer I would not tow with the ST so I should list the hitch and associated parts for sale.

As my cars got faster, more built, more chance of a crash, broken parts I started trailer towing. One time I cracked brand new higher grade rotors all the way to the hats and had a 75mile drive using the manual trans and parking brake, truck and trailer were at home. The next time out, different car project, 5 holes in the block, off track in my own oil over 100 MPH, on fire...I was glad I used the trailer.

I normally build my own hitches for autocross, track, etc for towing tires, fuel, etc....as can make them much lighter, at least half the weight of off the shelf units. Best one ever was under 6lbs for a C6 Vette that was inspected by a highly regarded custom hitch shop, even offered a job on the spot, fiesta would of been more like 10-12lbs.

For those short on funds for a trailer and tow vehicle I would advise finding a neighbor, friend, co-worker, etc that has tow setup you can get help from if needed.

Rick

neeqness

1000 Post Club

Dave
What did you use as your flooring here?

I really like how you set this up in the back. I don't plan to track my car but I do go on-road trips and this will definitely free up more room for stuff to take with me. Besides I rarely have people in the back (it's too tight for most of my friends and they mostly have their own cars and we all tend to prefer to drive them anyway). As a bonus, my FiST gets a bit leaner and meaner.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
What did you use as your flooring here?
The tires are setting on the rear seat backs.
I trimmed the hatch floor board to set flat on the metal floor and than added the Ford rear mat.

Dave

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
These cars were never meant to be towed with.....its a performance vehicle. There is no good way to Cool the Transmission fluid either since it's not a Automatic Trans.....Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
TF,
I agree with most of what you say, most of the time, and partly this time:)

Though not designed for towing I believe limited towing weight with a good hitch and proper driving techniques, etc it is perfectly fine as not with big loads, perhaps not in really hot weather, etc....most manual trans vehicles do not have coolers as well.

With upgraded suspension, and engine cooling, gear lube, etc....mine towed very well but I never intended to tow a lot with it, just needed to use it a few times but I would have no qualms with others in more regular use for track days, autocrosses, etc.

I have towed hundreds of times using small cars up to 2.5 ton trucks, 400lbs to over 30,000lbs and never had but one issue when a dumb ass sideswiped a small trailer I was towing, a wild ride I drove through safely without hitting anybody as cars all around me and the trailer was tail wagging like made going into lanes beside me until I got it under control. I take towing very seriously so always have good brakes, tires, hitches, lighting, etc...

These cars were never meant to be towed with.....its a performance vehicle. There is no good way to Cool the Transmission fluid either since it's not a Automatic Trans.....Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Our cars in Europe have a 1500lb tow rating, It is only in the US that they dont get this.

Jerickson88

Come on!

The least you can do is match the wheels...

p.s. I realize the trailer is 5-lug and the FiST is 4 lug.

[twothumb]
Trailer is a work in progress lol. Previous owner made it a non-tilter, so I made it back into a tilt, and he welded the sides on. That’ll be fixed in a few weeks!