Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST on SSR SP1

Well not quite yet but the wheels are here. Wheel specs are 18x7.5 +42. The centers are 17s so may downsize at one point or another but gonna get them on first. Centers will probably be painted to match the car. Any recommendation on tire size? Car will soon be lowered on coilovers

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Any tire you use unless very tall will likely result in a very harsh ride and rim damage sooner or later, not much room for 18's under this car, sorry.

I have a set of 17x7 16.8lb wheels with 205/45/17 MIchelin PS-3 tires and they ride like solid wagon wheels compared to the 15x9 wheels with 225/45/15 Rival S tires that stick like glue. I am selling that setup to go to 16's since no 15x7 or 8 will fit over my BBK, just to get a better ride.

Of course if a harsh ride is OK with you go for it but you might want to think about it a bit, harsh ride means far more wear on the car and too tall of a tire, rubbing, etc....

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Like [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] stated you're going to need a very low profile tires so that it won't rub. The good thing about coilovers is that you can adjust them so that they won't rub lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I did find some 205/40/18's that will fit under the car if not lowered to much, they are generally pretty expensive, what do you want from your tires.

Ultimate grip
Long life
All season
Summer only

More info will help in finding the best tire for your needs including some ride a bit better than others but all are going to be pretty stiff in that department.

---------------

Sometimes I come across as a bit of a know it all ass but in reality I now a lot but far from it all and am just a performance oriented guy above all else, sorry if offended in any way, not meant in the least, just want to help as have paid the price in years and wasted money going in the wrong direction.

I was "sponsored" by a wheel company years ago and talked into running 19's on a project car and hated them absolutely so went down to far lighter 17's and it transformed the car. Not only lower weight but proper diameter and the weight is also moved further in on some applications which means less effect of the rotational mass.

SSR wheels are generally very low in weight but in an 18 far more weight than a decent 15 or 16" wheel, tires are pretty close to the same weight per width and diameter but lower profile tires put the weight out further which is not a good thing.

Another point, can you find a spare wheel if you damage one beyond repair?

OP
DRock
Thread Starter #5
Thank you for the comments and concerns. I totally understand the concern with 18s. I'm going to split the wheels and add some to the 8ip. Either try and stuff an 18x8.5 and roll the fenders (which I have 0 problems with) or just put an 18x8 in there with a 215/35/18.
[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] I totally apreciare the comments and do not take that bad at all. You have been around and know your stuff. My mustang had been sponsored by a few wheel companies and I do know that nonsense that follows. Car is a DDOand won't be tracked. Have the other car for that.

And no! Finding another wheel is next to impossible. At that point I get new ones and make a table out of these

OP
DRock
Thread Starter #6
An entire year later (having a kid puts a stop to things) finally got the wheels done and taken care of.

The wheels were originally 4x100 but were an option to be drilled into 4x108 back in the 80s (4x108 is stamped on the back), so had them drilled out and plugged! Also had the wheels taken apart and polished the lips and clean up all of the curb rash from the previous owners.

Test fit:

OP
DRock
Thread Starter #7
Then moved on to tires. Not a lot of solid options in 215/35/18, and honestly, really wish I would have went wider. Wheels are only 18x7.5 but these 215s are kinda stretched.

Decided on Federal SS 595. Decent tire so far. Noiser than stocks for sure. Grip is still to be determined. Been a Toyo guy all my life so going out on a limb here.

Car now needs more lowwwwwww bad.

Then a shot from the SoCal ST Day put on by Ford performance:

Waterfan

Then moved on to tires. Not a lot of solid options in 215/35/18, and honestly, really wish I would have went wider. Wheels are only 18x7.5 but these 215s are kinda stretched.

Decided on Federal SS 595. Decent tire so far. Noiser than stocks for sure. Grip is still to be determined. Been a Toyo guy all my life so going out on a limb here.

Car now needs more lowwwwwww bad.
I'm not a fan of increasing wheel diameter for the FiST (because performance), but these look sexy as F___!
[rockon]

OP
DRock
Thread Starter #10
I'm not a fan of increasing wheel diameter for the FiST (because performance), but these look sexy as F___!
[rockon]
Well thank you! It just looks right to me. I'm gonna run it soon at the local autocross track and see how my times are affected.
These look really good! Any idea how much each wheel weighs?
Never got a chance to weigh them. I will weigh a stocker and these tomorrow. I will tell you my bet is on them being lighter than stock.

Appreciate it!

Waterfan

Never got a chance to weigh them. I will weigh a stocker and these tomorrow. I will tell you my bet is on them being lighter than stock.
2 pc. SSR? Yeah, package is most likely lighter. Definitely lighter if forged.

Rotational mass sits farther outboard and might feel slightly more sluggish as a result. FiST low end torque is awesome so it may be hard to feel a real differnce (if one exists)

Stock Wheel 22.5 lbs, OEM RE050A 19 lbs = 41.5 lbs
SSR Wheel ???, 215/35-18 595 22 lbs = ?

Main thing is that you like it, everything else is immaterial...

OP
DRock
Thread Starter #14
2 pc. SSR? Yeah, package is most likely lighter. Definitely lighter if forged.

Rotational mass sits farther outboard and might feel slightly more sluggish as a result. FiST low end torque is awesome so it may be hard to feel a real differnce (if one exists)

Stock Wheel 22.5 lbs, OEM RE050A 19 lbs = 41.5 lbs
SSR Wheel ???, 215/35-18 595 22 lbs = ?

Main thing is that you like it, everything else is immaterial...
I love it. Car isn't a dedicated track slut so it works.

They are 2piece. the barrels and lips have been welded together, since that's how they sold them back in the day. Will get weights. Just this socal rain is killin me again.
I can appreciate the work and solid branding of SSRs, just not a fan of 18's on the FiST.
Totally understand. I know everyone isn't keen on the FiST running big wheels.

Props for doing something different
Thanks. Wanted to stand out a lil