Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My review of ATP downpipe and MBRP exhaust.

Sound: Loud. Drone is not bad at all below ~3k rpm, however my commute to work is 30 mins on a highway with a 75mph and 85mph traffic and is full of hills. This leads to the car sitting at 3.2-3.5k and revving frequently to get up and down hills. I am going to try to adjust the exhaust a bit and see I can't get it to quiet down but I'm thinking about selling the MBRP to someone wanting a loud car and going with the Cobb catback. However, the noise it makes is great. The turbo whistle is very pronounced outside the car but not in the car. I really enjoy it when I'm driving around town but the constant drone on the highway at higher RPM is difficult for me.

Install: An absolute nightmare. I had the top bolt closest to the front of the car be cross threaded from the factory. I got it about 1/2 way out before I slipped off using a breaker bar and completely rounded the bolt. I used heat, penetrating oil and a bolt extractor socket. I turned it about another half turn before it stripped going back the other way. I had work the next day and it was 10 degrees out. I rented a car for a week and started on it again Sunday. I ended up cutting off part of the bolt (not easy as space is insanely tight), leaving the cross threaded stud in the turbo housing and put on a nut that fit. It works just like the stud given by ATP but is kind of rigged. I plan to go bigger turbo in the next few months anyway so I'm not worried about it. Next complaint? The heat shield on the manifold. Not only is it hell to get the bolts out of but once you do it's damn near impossible to just remove from the engine bay. Other than those two issues the downpipe isn't bad. The catback was cake.

Overall: Had I known about the stud issue and noise I would have just bought a Cobb catback until I went bigger turbo.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Can you share some videos?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The stud issues are well known as well is the MBRP drone. You should of searched a little more or asked around. Hope you find the solution you're looking for

OP
N
Thread Starter #4
The MBRP exhaust I got for a good deal on BF and it's easy to change out. I also really enjoy it's sound. If it wasn't for my "less than normal" commute it would be a non-issue. Drone is not bad at all unless you are over 3kish and I really doubt many people do that in 6th gear. Worst case I'll call up Real Street Performance and get a Cobb catback.

To add, who the hell invented these headlights? They are miserable to take in and out.

I will get some video once I get things adjusted the way I want them.

3" ATP catless with my non-resonated no muffler 2.5" Magnaflow on my 2013 Abarth was "cool" sounding coming from a little Fiat. And usually in that small car it was just me. I would hate that same sound coming from my Fist. Catless and unresonated = loud and drone....
no way around it.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The MBRP exhaust I got for a good deal on BF and it's easy to change out. I also really enjoy it's sound. If it wasn't for my "less than normal" commute it would be a non-issue. Drone is not bad at all unless you are over 3kish and I really doubt many people do that in 6th gear. Worst case I'll call up Real Street Performance and get a Cobb catback.

To add, who the hell invented these headlights? They are miserable to take in and out.

My injen catback also drones big time while on the highway. Luckily I have a work vehicle I get to take home so commuting is a non issue. Speaking of those damn headlights.. I broke a tab off the drive side headlight taking it out the other day. I was so pissed. They either come out super easy or give you a hell of a time. I plan on using some jb weld to put the tab back on. Light is steady with one screw holding it in though

twolf

frankie, elaborate on the stud issues? I'm getting a 2j downpipe and really don't want to break a bolt off in my turbo...

OP
N
Thread Starter #8
frankie, elaborate on the stud issues? I'm getting a 2j downpipe and really don't want to break a bolt off in my turbo...
The stud on the top closest to the front of the car on several cars was cross threaded when the cars were built. Just make sure to try to take it off first, if it's impossible to turn after you "break" it loose then you've got one with problems.

There was an MBRP exhaust for sale on here earlier that had a vibrant resonator welded in. Maybe that will solve the problem

I think I messed up the turbo coolant line bango bolt trying to wiggle out my heat shield this weekend.
I can smell burning coolant and it appears to be slowly leaking from there

I have the same set up on my car now and I absolutely love it. Install of the downpipe was a pain. Worst downpipe I've ever installed. I've been hearing that a downpipe doesn't offer to much for this car but after installing this I feel a huge difference. It pulls and keeps pulling! Very happy with the car not missing my WRX at all.

Young L

Vibrant resonators are great, 12" should be plenty, any muffler shop can weld one in for you.
a few people have tried resonators and adding mufflers, it doesn't help the drone. Ive concluded that's its a issue with the metal they use in the piping, the harmonics are just way too off.

a few people have tried resonators and adding mufflers, it doesn't help the drone. Ive concluded that's its a issue with the metal they use in the piping, the harmonics are just way too off.
Would it matter on which type of metal you would go with? Because they offer the aluminum, 409, 304. I have the 304 it sound great.

Young L

Would it matter on which type of metal you would go with? Because they offer the aluminum, 409, 304. I have the 304 it sound great.
I have the t409 and its the one with the most problems but it apparently happens with all of them. I have for now decided to just tough it out and spend money on the car elsewhere rather than get a new exhaust. when I get the car back to the states I think im going to get more extreme with it so having a loud exhaust is going to be the least of my worries.

DaveG99

What's BF?

I just installed my mbrp and i Love how much it woke up the car. I have drone because it got dark and the tips are hitting the valance but im sure after adjusting it , it wont be so bad I usually drive by myself with the FiST so its no problem. I have my ATP sitting till my next day off. What can i expect? Ive never gone catless. Right now im doing some pops when downshifting. Will they become more often or spit flames with catless? And should i add crackles or go without crackles.