Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going with 16x7 wheels. 205/50 vs 205/45 vs 225/45

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I found 14.3 lbs for 16x7 - but either way, they're about 4 lbs lighter that the SE-17s then. About $150 difference in the set. I may have to get used to black wheels as the setup would be about 3.5 lbs less than stock
What tires are those? And the black and red will look good. Good contrast.

MPA

What tires are those? And the black and red will look good. Good contrast.
Federal 595RS-Rs - 21.4lbs per tire according to their site, but they shipped to me at 36lbs for 2 tires.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That would be very cool if just 18lbs per tire, easy to weight on a bathroom scale when you get them, best to pick one up and weigh with yourself on the scale then without the tire to see the difference, more accurate that way.

MPA

That would be very cool if just 18lbs per tire, easy to weight on a bathroom scale when you get them, best to pick one up and weigh with yourself on the scale then without the tire to see the difference, more accurate that way.
That's what I plan to do. I'll drag the scale to the basement tonight and see what they weigh.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That would be great, the more actual info we know the better choices we can make:)

I am looking at all the highest performance AS tires for my new 16x8 RPF1 wheels since no 15x8 wheels fit over my BBK and have been recommended the NeoGen as the best way to go but cannot get all the specs I want on them, weight and tread width missing.

I think I will just have to give Nitto a call, not the first time I had to call a tire company to get what I needed.

MPA

I ended up ordering the 16x7.5 SE-17s - my #s were off earlier based on an incorrect stock wheel weight.

Stock is 41.5lbs (22.5 wheels/19 tire), these should be 39.4lbs (18 wheels/21.4 tire).

As much as I liked the Rotas light weight, I'm not crazy about the all back wheels, and think the SE-17s will look better.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I will like the look better as well, not a big fan of the Rota wheel style, at least you saved 8lbs of unsprung rotational weight which to me is easy to feel and appreciate:)

You also gained a bit more sidewall support which will aid in feedback as well as lateral grip.

My wheels showed up yesterday and I put in an order with TireRack for the 195/55/15 Comp-2s that should be here tomorrow. My new TPM sensors for these wheels won't be here until next Monday or Tuesday so I won't have them mounted right away, but it's all pretty moot since we aren't reliably staying over 40 degrees and I'm not putting these on the car until the lows are no longer dropping below 40, at least not regularly. I weighed one of the wheels on my bathroom scale and they came in at 15.2lbs which is disappointing because they were advertised as 13.7lbs. I'm not sure if it's acceptable variance, or if the 13.7lbs is before paint, or if my scale is just off by a pound or so, but really in the end it isn't that big of a deal.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
My wheels showed up yesterday and I put in an order with TireRack for the 195/55/15 Comp-2s that should be here tomorrow. My new TPM sensors for these wheels won't be here until next Monday or Tuesday so I won't have them mounted right away, but it's all pretty moot since we aren't reliably staying over 40 degrees and I'm not putting these on the car until the lows are no longer dropping below 40, at least not regularly. I weighed one of the wheels on my bathroom scale and they came in at 15.2lbs which is disappointing because they were advertised as 13.7lbs. I'm not sure if it's acceptable variance, or if the 13.7lbs is before paint, or if my scale is just off by a pound or so, but really in the end it isn't that big of a deal.
Which wheels did you end up going with again?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Weigh yourself and the wheel at the same time then just yourself and subtract your weight, it will be far more accurate;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
They are great wheels and PCA is a great vendor on the site but we run into an issue with TD posting weights of the lightest wheel in a bolt pattern/offset per size that can change quite a bit in different configurations.

Also your scale might be one with mid range errors so trying a different scale or two might be a good idea as I do not think the wheel should weigh that much more than listed as.

It does make a difference but when you look at the total weight saved you are so far better off than stock and what some pick that are even heavier it will still make a huge difference:)

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I just got same wheels other day. They felt heavier than thought should. I'll try and dig one out tomorrow and get on scale

They are great wheels and PCA is a great vendor on the site but we run into an issue with TD posting weights of the lightest wheel in a bolt pattern/offset per size that can change quite a bit in different configurations.

Also your scale might be one with mid range errors so trying a different scale or two might be a good idea as I do not think the wheel should weigh that much more than listed as.

It does make a difference but when you look at the total weight saved you are so far better off than stock and what some pick that are even heavier it will still make a huge difference:)
Absolutely. I'm not really upset about it even if the weight I got is legit. PCA was awesome to deal with and I'm still shaving off quite a bit of rotational mass. My new tires are going to be 2lbs heavier per corner because of, I assume, sidewall reinforcement, but even with that I'm saving ~27.2lbs total, or 6.8lbs per corner. There are other tires out there that are lighter as well, I just wanted to give these a shot first so my next tire might save me even more weight.

I just got same wheels other day. They felt heavier than thought should. I'll try and dig one out tomorrow and get on scale
That'd be cool, let us know what you find.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You will love the increase in all areas of performance and the better ride, you are making one of the absolute best mods possible:)

Yeah man, I'm excited. Woke up to the tires on the porch and I'll edit this post with pictures unmounted compared to stock in a bit.

So here they are.

Stock = 8.4" section width (measured on a 7.5" rim), 23.4" diameter, 7.6" tread width, 19lbs
Sport Comp-2 = 7.9" section width (measured on a much smaller 6" rim), 23.4" diameter, 7.7" tread width, 21lbs (has to be in the sidewall, it is super stiff for a 55 series)

What it boils down to is, unmounted, the stock tires are a little bit wider, but when mounted on our stock 7" rims their effective section width is reduced a little and while different sources seem to claim different things, the general consensus is about 0.2" less for every 1/2" less rim, meaning the 8.4" reported by TireRack as measured on a 7.5" rim is more like 8.2" when mounted on the 7" wide rims our cars come with. The 7.9" section width on the 195/55 Comp-2's is measured on a 6" rim, however, and I'll be mounting them on a 7" rim which should add about .4" to the width, bringing them up to 8.3" section width and will technically end up a hair wider than the stock tires when all is said and done.

Regardless of appearance and section width, the skinnier 195's also have a slightly bigger tread width measurement, so there is that too. Moral of the story? They are really close to the same width when unmounted and are pretty much the exact same height (in reality, not just on paper via TireRack that puts them both at 23.4"), but mounted the "skinnier" 195s should end up a hair wider.

My basis for this information comes from TireRack's section width explanation page here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=200

Special thanks to my son for holding the tires steady for the pics :D.

Comp-2 in front

Comp-2 at top of photo

Comp-2 at top of photo