Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going with 16x7 wheels. 205/50 vs 205/45 vs 225/45

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #81
Nice! They seem pretty equal in terms of size. If this 16x8 slipstream deal doesn't work out. I'm going with those and 15x7.5 slipstreams.

MPA

Any noticeable difference in hight of the tire?
the 1st pic shows the height difference, I didn't attempt to measure though. Their wesite shows 23.2" tall for 205/45/16, Tire Rack shows 23.4" for the stock RE050As.

I just installed a set of the Sport Edition P5s with BFG Comp-2 A/S 205/50-16s, in preparation or moving up to PA. Ride is noticeably improved over the stock setup, bumps are soaked up by the larger sidewall and the car feels less twitchy. On the 7.5" wide rims the 205s mount up fairly square, and look much beefier than stock. The 42mm offset plus extra width puts them much more flush to the fender.

Overall I am happy for such an affordable set of what I consider winter/all weather beaters. And they weigh about 3#s less a corner overall.

Though I am going to have to do something with the shiny center cap, it doesn't work that well with the anthracite wheel and black Gorilla lugs I have.

Edited to add: my speedometer is now actually closer to matching my GPS speed than before, even with the slightly taller tires.
I just got my new '16 FiST which came with stock Potenza summer tires. I'm considering the exact tire/wheel setup that you have. I do a lot of highway commuting and occasionally need to get on dirt roads. My only worry with the 205/50 16s is that they may be too spongy in the corners. Also, do you get any rubbing with this taller size? I'll be on stock height. My other option would be to go with the 205/45 16s, but not sure that would smooth out my ride noticeably enough.

Thanks.

** Edit. I'm actually looking at the BFG Comp A/S 205/50-16 -- need a year 'rounder.

I just got my new '16 FiST which came with stock Potenza summer tires. I'm considering the exact tire/wheel setup that you have. I do a lot of highway commuting and occasionally need to get on dirt roads. My only worry with the 205/50 16s is that they may be too spongy in the corners. Also, do you get any rubbing with this taller size? I'll be on stock height. My other option would be to go with the 205/45 16s, but not sure that would smooth out my ride noticeably enough.

Thanks.

** Edit. I'm actually looking at the BFG Comp A/S 205/50-16 -- need a year 'rounder.
I am very happy with these so far. They look beefier than the stock tires just because of the wider rim and better offset, but ride great. I toss them into corners with no worries, as they seem to have given up little traction over the stock tires. No rubbing or other issues, much better ride on bumpy roads. Going to leave them on all year round for now.

DaveG99

My brain hurts from the past few days of researching the best tire/wheel size for performance and looks. I want light weight and decent looking black wheels with plenty of grippy under 200TW tire options. I think a 16" wheel might be a good compromise. I really wanted to stay in the 17" wheel size but the options for tires in that range suck. Im not too fond of a 15" tire because a 50 series tire is just too much side wall for my taste. I do not care about harshness/stiffness or noise as I dont daily this car.

Why doesn't anyone make a 16x8? SERIOUSLY!

My brain hurts from the past few days of researching the best tire/wheel size for performance and looks. I want light weight and decent looking black wheels with plenty of grippy under 200TW tire options. I think a 16" wheel might be a good compromise. I really wanted to stay in the 17" wheel size but the options for tires in that range suck. Im not too fond of a 15" tire because a 50 series tire is just too much side wall for my taste. I do not care about harshness/stiffness or noise as I dont daily this car.

Why doesn't anyone make a 16x8? SERIOUSLY!
You just reminded me to post this, check this out http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15468

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^IF those become a reality, I would definitely put one of the wider 225/45-16s on them, rubbing (AND stretch) be DAMNED! ;)

DaveG99

^^^IF those become a reality, I would definitely put one of the wider 225/45-16s on them, rubbing (AND stretch) be DAMNED! ;)
A rival S 1.5 in a 215/45/16 would be PERFECTION on a 16x8. Thats what I would get. I really hope these come out soon.