Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going with 16x7 wheels. 205/50 vs 205/45 vs 225/45

I have searched the forum and found a little info, but I need help deciding what size tire AND what tire for that matter when I get my new wheels (16x7).

The car will not be tracked or see any autox, just daily "spirited driving" around town. The roads are in crap condition around my neighborhood so I want a little more sidewall. I have no plans of messing with the suspension.

I love the way 225/45/16 looks, but I have concerns that I would lose a lot of the steering response with 225 on a 7" wide wheel. There are only a few options for that size tire and none are all that cheap. I would go with DIREZZA ZII STAR SPEC.

205/50/16 seems a little big although I know people have ran that size without issue. More options available in this size.

205/45/16 seems a little small. I don't want the tires to looks small in the wheel wells.

The BFG G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 tires seem like a great value for my needs. I am considering them, although they are not available in all the sizes I am looking at.

I could also be convinced to go with a 15" wheel. I love the rally wheel look and I like the idea of the wheel protection. Maybe 15x7 205/55/15 or 195/55/15.

What are your thoughts?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6848-15-quot-wheels-vs-16-quot-vs-17-quot-Wheel-for-hpde-autocross-daily-which-and-why/page4

This has been covered quite well on a few threads and a current one right now I am helping sort out tires for 16x7 wheels so please search:)

You cannot go by the size listed or on the tire, you have to go by real specs, tirerack.com is the best place to find them.

If you want a 225 wide tire then 15x8 is the best choice overall and the TD is the one available that bolts right on.

The 205/45/16 Comp 2 has an 8" wide tread, far to wide for a 7" wheel unless the tire was specifically engineered for a narrower wheel but it owuld likely ride quite stiff.

Best recommendation right now is the 205/15/16 Bridgestone RE71R, 7.1" tread width, 19's, a very nice way to go.

I am still looking at more specific tires to fit 16x7's but you have to pick, stickiest possible or summer only, very stick but lasts longer.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I ran a 225/45/16 starspecs on a 7 last year for autocross because others said to even though figured too big. I don't believe they ever felt right and would go 205 or maybe 215 if did again.

Waterfan

FWIW...

I have just received my 16x7 Maxxim Winners (smoking deal and free shipping via Amazon) and have recently gone through the extensive research to select 205/45-16 BFG SC2 (contrary to RAAMaudio's excellent advice).

I made this decision based on the balance of several factors (in order of importance):
-Matching the OEM 205/40-17 diameter (23.4") as closely as possible - BFG SC2 = 23.2"
-As much or more tread width as OEM (7.6") - BFG SC2 = 8"
-Low cost (~$80) and in stock at my favorite local shop (which is currently running a discount)
-Lightest (OEM 19lb, BFG SC2 21lb. Significant increase in tread width and very low cost seems worth the extra 2 lbs)

1st runner up is Hankook R-S3 V2, essentially the same as BFG SC2 except 1 lb lighter (20) and ~+$40 per tire (less conveniently accessible)

Other interesting choices:
205/45-16 Federal 595 RSR - wins on cost, loses due to weight (21.4), and less convenient accessibility
215/45-16 BFG G Force Rival S - wins on diameter (23.6) and weight (20), loses on cost (~$145), narrower tread (7.3") and less convenient accessibility
225/45-16 Direzza DII SS - loses on weight (23), tread (8.5" is "too wide" for 7" wheel) and diameter (23.9"). [Very disappointed this tire does not have 205/45-16 sizing (the 205/50-16 is lighter (21) but diameter is "too tall" (24.1")].

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #6
FWIW...

I have just received my 16x7 Maxxim Winners (smoking deal and free shipping via Amazon) and have recently gone through the extensive research to select 205/45-16 BFG SC2 (contrary to RAAMaudio's excellent advice).

I made this decision based on the balance of several factors (in order of importance):
-Matching the OEM 205/40-17 diameter (23.4") as closely as possible - BFG SC2 = 23.2"
-As much or more tread width as OEM (7.6") - BFG SC2 = 8"
-Low cost (~$80) and in stock at my favorite local shop (which is currently running a discount)
-Lightest (OEM 19lb, BFG SC2 21lb. Significant increase in tread width and very low cost seems worth the extra 2 lbs)

1st runner up is Hankook R-S3 V2, essentially the same as BFG SC2 except 1 lb lighter (20) and ~+$40 per tire (less conveniently accessible)

Other interesting choices:
205/45-16 Federal 595 RSR - wins on cost, loses due to weight (21.4), and less convenient accessibility
215/45-16 BFG G Force Rival S - wins on diameter (23.6) and weight (20), loses on cost (~$145), narrower tread (7.3") and less convenient accessibility
225/45-16 Direzza DII SS - loses on weight (23), tread (8.5" is "too wide" for 7" wheel) and diameter (23.0"). [Very disappointed this tire does not have 205/45-16 sizing (the 205/50-16 is lighter (21) but diameter is "too tall" (24.1")].
Thanks for the info. Post up a photo when you have a chance.

Waterfan

Thanks for the info. Post up a photo when you have a chance.
Forgot to mention: I was also debating 15 vs 16" wheel with myself. I almost went 15x7 because the very excellent Direzza DII SS is available in 205/50-15. I decided the Maxxim Winner is just too amazing for it's price point* (~$100, 16.7 lbs, nice multi-spoke "rally" look). My 15x7 wheel would have been the OZ Ultra (12 lbs, $200).

*Credit to RAAM for bringing to my attention.

Tires not mounted yet, but I will snap a pic after it's done :)

Waterfan

I typo'd the 225/45-16 DII SS diameter above, it's 23.9" not 23.0" (original corrected)

Waterfan

While looking at RAAM's RE71 suggestion (awesome, but pricey ~$160), I also found the Bridgestone RE760 fits my criteria:

21lbs, 7.4" tread, 23.3" diameter (VERY close to stock), ~$90 each and locally available.

The 215/45r16 BFG Rival S is not too wide on a 7" wheel. They feel great to me, good turn in, stick well, seem to wear well too.

The only problem is that they are noisy. Not a little, a lot. Highway speeds will make them annoyingly loud.

Great for a track tire but tiresome on the street.

Otherwise they seem perfect and I like the slightly taller but stiff sidewall, I am much less worried about bending a rim on a pothole.

Hopefully BFG's next big thing will be quiet Rivals.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Comment for later research.

I have the same exact questions. I just got 16x7 slipstreams and have until the spring to get tires. I just don't want it to look weird and not fill the wheel well because I also have no plans to go lower.

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #12
Comment for later research.

I have the same exact questions. I just got 16x7 slipstreams and have until the spring to get tires. I just don't want it to look weird and not fill the wheel well because I also have no plans to go lower.
We are in the same boat. I am going to order those same wheels here soon.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The reason I post as much as I do and keep going back and looking at specs, asking questions from each I want to help, just so damn many variables so it makes it hard to get it just right for everyone as this all has to be taken into account. Availability is one I forget to ask about and obviously hugely important.

A few things to consider:

Street, track and autocross can have conflicting priorities and thus one tire rarely can take care of them all.

Rival S is street/autocross tire that tends to heat up to quickly on a road race track if you go all out but should be great for time trials, etc.
I have 225/45/15 Rival S for street as I do not track them, I have dedicated track wheels and tires that will be faster and last longer.
My Rival S ride far better than the 205/45/17 Mich PS-3 AS tires and shockingly much quieter and really hook up in 60 degree weather in 2nd gear.

Quite often a wider tire on a narrower rim can be faster for autocross though you run more air and are not concerned with the ride but on the street that much air will make them pretty harsh and not wear as well. Let out the air and the sidewalls can be quite flexible which means less precision, more rolling over of the tread which means less grip at times but also more outside edge wear.

I do appreciate filling the wheel well look, love it as much as anybody but will not make it to high a priority, the 24.1" 205/45/17 Mich look much nicer from the side of the car than the 225/45/15 Rival S but from all other angles the wider tire on 9" wheels, mmmm, love it, not done for looks, just looks great to me at least.

In the end what works best for one can be totally wrong for another and some can use just one set of wheels and tires and some need two or more sets. Unfortunately for me, space and weight in the RV, fund$$$$.....I have three different needs and thus 3 setups.
6) 15x9 wheels with track tires
4) 15x9 wheels with summer tires(way to tempting to haul arse with as so much grip in all ways)
4) 16x8 wheels with Ultra high performace AS tires yet to be picked(I hope fun enough I can sell the 15x9 summer wheels and tires)

And, I have some I need to get sold.
4) 17x7 with Mich AS tires, just to damn harsh and noisy compared to my summer tires and hopefully new 16" AS tires.
(cannot fit 15x8 or 7 over my BBKs or I would have all 15" wheels which I prefer)
4) 15x9 wheels I no longer need as switched to all the same wheels in 15x9, Konig Helix

At the moment I have 22 wheels and 14 tires and will have 4 more tires soon, all in the RV so it would be great to go down to just the 16" AS set and six 15's for track.

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #14
The reason I post as much as I do and keep going back and looking at specs, asking questions from each I want to help, just so damn many variables so it makes it hard to get it just right for everyone as this all has to be taken into account. Availability is one I forget to ask about and obviously hugely important.

A few things to consider:

Street, track and autocross can have conflicting priorities and thus one tire rarely can take care of them all.

Rival S is street/autocross tire that tends to heat up to quickly on a road race track if you go all out but should be great for time trials, etc.
I have 225/45/15 Rival S for street as I do not track them, I have dedicated track wheels and tires that will be faster and last longer.
My Rival S ride far better than the 205/45/17 Mich PS-3 AS tires and shockingly much quieter and really hook up in 60 degree weather in 2nd gear.

Quite often a wider tire on a narrower rim can be faster for autocross though you run more air and are not concerned with the ride but on the street that much air will make them pretty harsh and not wear as well. Let out the air and the sidewalls can be quite flexible which means less precision, more rolling over of the tread which means less grip at times but also more outside edge wear.

I do appreciate filling the wheel well look, love it as much as anybody but will not make it to high a priority, the 24.1" 205/45/17 Mich look much nicer from the side of the car than the 225/45/15 Rival S but from all other angles the wider tire on 9" wheels, mmmm, love it, not done for looks, just looks great to me at least.

In the end what works best for one can be totally wrong for another and some can use just one set of wheels and tires and some need two or more sets. Unfortunately for me, space and weight in the RV, fund$$$$.....I have three different needs and thus 3 setups.
6) 15x9 wheels with track tires
4) 15x9 wheels with summer tires(way to tempting to haul arse with as so much grip in all ways)
4) 16x8 wheels with Ultra high performace AS tires yet to be picked(I hope fun enough I can sell the 15x9 summer wheels and tires)

And, I have some I need to get sold.
4) 17x7 with Mich AS tires, just to damn harsh and noisy compared to my summer tires and hopefully new 16" AS tires.
(cannot fit 15x8 or 7 over my BBKs or I would have all 15" wheels which I prefer)
4) 15x9 wheels I no longer need as switched to all the same wheels in 15x9, Konig Helix

At the moment I have 22 wheels and 14 tires and will have 4 more tires soon, all in the RV so it would be great to go down to just the 16" AS set and six 15's for track.
Raam, would you recommend the Rival S as a summer daily driver tire? How are they in the rain?

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #15
The 215/45r16 BFG Rival S is not too wide on a 7" wheel. They feel great to me, good turn in, stick well, seem to wear well too.

The only problem is that they are noisy. Not a little, a lot. Highway speeds will make them annoyingly loud.

Great for a track tire but tiresome on the street.

Otherwise they seem perfect and I like the slightly taller but stiff sidewall, I am much less worried about bending a rim on a pothole.

Hopefully BFG's next big thing will be quiet Rivals.
Do you have any photos of you car with the 215/45/16 setup?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The Rival S is not really a rain tire but I was in a huge down pore on a trip from Lake Elsinore to San Diego to go to Goodwin Racing and the tires would pull a bit when I hit standing water but never hydroplaned a bit though I did slow down a bunch at times just to see the road.

If you read this test report you will see they state the tires tested would not be the best bet in standing water which I would have to agree as at higher speeds than I was going I would not want to test them out.

If you get a lot of rain, especially standing water, you might best pick a different tire than any in this particular test.

Out of the four tested the RE71R did the best in the wet which the tread pattern would lead one to believe.

This is one of the tires I am considering for 16x8 wheels, only a 195 but has 7" wide tread and 19lbs to save some weight.
Mich PS A/S3, a very very good tire with great all around performance and great reviews. I have them in 17's now but ride to harsh so going to 16" wheels. They do make a 24.1" tall 205 version as well but the tread is only .2" wider and they are 2lbs heavier.

I will likely go with the Nitto Neo Gen instead.

I read all the reviews but also ask tire experts in the area I want the tires to work for me to get the best info I can to make the best choices. When I bought the 17" Mich tires they were the best all seasons made but I should of went to 16" wheels and tires.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Putting this out there for a little food for thought. The 205/50 and the 225/45 are nearly identical widths. The 215/45 rival s is almost as wide.
http://fiestast.net/threads/zii-vs-r1r.2064/page-7
I decided to go with 205/50 Sport Comp 2s. I don't want to lose turn in performance with going with the 225/45 series, although I do think it's looks better on stock suspension. I want to have turn in performance plus straight line, so 205/50 it is.

Deli

I decided to go with 205/50 Sport Comp 2s. I don't want to lose turn in performance with going with the 225/45 series, although I do think it's looks better on stock suspension. I want to have turn in performance plus straight line, so 205/50 it is.
Mind if I ask what wheels you are going with? I reached out to PCA as I was considering going 15x8 wheels and they said that on stock suspension, this doesn't look the best as it give it a bit of a 4x4 look. Now I'm considering going up to a 16x7 wheel size and doing the 205/50 to still get some extra sidewall while not ruining the look of the car. Once you have your setup, would you mind PMing me with a review?

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Mind if I ask what wheels you are going with? I reached out to PCA as I was considering going 15x8 wheels and they said that on stock suspension, this doesn't look the best as it give it a bit of a 4x4 look. Now I'm considering going up to a 16x7 wheel size and doing the 205/50 to still get some extra sidewall while not ruining the look of the car. Once you have your setup, would you mind PMing me with a review?
I'm going 16x7 Rota Slipstreams. I already have them, just needed to figure out my tire situation. And unfortunately I won't have them on until the Spring time. Should be ordering my tires soon though. Might be able to test fit then and get a photo up of that.