Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll.. To Mod or not to Mod, and Why?

Poll..To MOD or not to MOD.. and WHY?

• NO MOD: It'll be a collector car in 25 years.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zormecteon

for myself it's bolt on only, collector car future, but I'm curious about how others feel

I say bolt ons and keep the stock parts, because if you can have a little more fun and change it back why not? What's the consensus though from those of you who know about collectors cars... Will this really be a collector in 25yrs?

OP
Zormecteon

Zormecteon

Thread Starter #4
I say bolt ons and keep the stock parts, because if you can have a little more fun and change it back why not? What's the consensus though from those of you who know about collectors cars... Will this really be a collector in 25yrs?
It really is a seminal moment. I believe it will rank up there with the Ford Lotus Cortina, Lotus Elan, Bug Eye Sprite, etc. Finding a pure stock one (with low miles) will be worthy of BIG $$$.

JasonHaven

Sticking to bolt ons, myself. Mostly because I don't need much to have fun, and I got zero technical skills, and a limited budget!

My biggest priority is paying it off as quickly as possible , with a lot of principle reduction payments , after I have title in hand and no more payment , then it will be diecision time , stay stock , mod , or trade in .(not my daily) on a different note
I drooled over the special edition bullet mustang when it came out , have those increased in value over the years ? I would put the ST in that kind of class .

Light mods focused on handling for the next 2-3 years. I love the car a ton right now, but that can change and if I don't love it in 2-3 years I don't want to have a ton of money sunk into it. My current payment plan has me breaking even on depreciation and whatnot about 15 months in and from there I'll only gain "equity", so even though I have a traditional note I could easily get out of it in 2 years breaking even and probably get out of it with a decent no-cash downpayment on something else via trade in at 3 years. If at the 2-3 year mark I'm still loving it I'll further ramp up the payments and be note-free asap and then go to town - big turbo, full bolt on stage 3, etc.

Honestly, the Focus RS has my eye and that's the big thing. I had a Focus ST for a bit and I really didn't like it all that much for a variety of reasons, but the RS is a different beast entirely and if it lives up to the hype the good could easily outweigh the things that made me not like the FoST. I'm watching to see how badly dealers mark them up, keeping an eye out on first year problems, and also paying attention to what Ford's plans are on how long they are going to produce it. If they are selling at sticker and it's still around in 2-3 years, that may very well sway me away from the FiST. I'm also keeping eyes on Subaru for what they do with the BRZ once the official partnership with Toyota is over.

I don't like non reversible mods. I did the RMM and want to do the boomba short shift kit. Keeping my stock RMM and will keep the stock shifter stuff. I made the mistake of selling off the stock parts on my old car and it cost me more money in the long run because I could have used those stock parts to replace parts or return to stock and sell off the aftermarket. Overall the FiST is pretty good in stock form so I won't be doing anything major.

It is all in the eye of the beholder. This car being a collector car is like saying a CRX Si should have been a collector car. Yeah, they're cool. I don't think the Fiesta ST could possibly reach collector's car values financially, though I think it has settled into the small niche of true driver's cars that will always be appreciated. It's a hot hatch, in a time where hot hatches are popular. Something better will come along.

As far as modifications go... I don't plan on getting out of life alive, and I'm certainly not going to piss and moan about keeping my car clean and not doing any modifications so as to maintain the value. All you're really doing is keeping your car nice for the next guy. It's your car. Do as you wish. If you want pink catzkin leather seats, have at it. If you want a wide body kit and Ken Block Snot rims, more power to you. If you relish in its virgin pure stock loveliness, glad your happy. But for the love of all that is good and just in this universe, don't NOT do what you want.

-Travis

I think I hit 1k miles this morning... and you can see the mods in my signature.

If you ain't modding, you ain't driving. [deviltail]

Deli

I just installed the stage 1 map from cobb yesterday and I'll be putting on their RMM this weekend. This car is just to easy to mod for very little money. I just wish I had a garage to do even more stuff and not have to go to my in-laws house every time I want to work on the car.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Depends on how long they make it. I'm happy with pro tune , Rmm. Probably get FMIC as soon as the one I want is available.

DaveG99

I want to mod it so bad but I don't want to void my warranty. I'll probably do the mountune stage 1 AP and then do some bolt ons. At least the mountune is warranty friendly and the bolt ons can be removed and put back to stock. Once I get past the warranty time or milage I will upgrade the turbo.

If its used as normal transportation or is a lease, there is simply no point to modify it. If you plan to own it for more than five years and have notions of track events or autocross or maybe you want to take a kyak on vacation, you will need to add equipment or parts.

In 20 years you might not be able to buy a car with a steering wheel.

It seems like a large portion of the younger generation has no interest in driving so I'm not hopeful that there will be a big collector car market and what there is might only be the exotics.

My Fiesta ST might be my last shot at owning a driver's car, I'm going to try to magnify that as much as I can. This year its big power, next year might be big brakes or coilovers.

I'm at about the 1 year mark with 12,000 miles and still stock. I might get an AP in the future, and even lower priority is a FMIC, DP, or catback. This car is really great as is, but in the end it's a FWD hatchback so my preference is to save money for an upgrade car in ~4-5 years.

OP
Zormecteon

Zormecteon

Thread Starter #20
I'm at about the 1 year mark with 12,000 miles and still stock. I might get an AP in the future, and even lower priority is a FMIC, DP, or catback. This car is really great as is, but in the end it's a FWD hatchback so my preference is to save money for an upgrade car in ~4-5 years.
Interestingly, for the amount of $$$ put into mods, most people could have just bought the FoST instead. Sometimes its about how much we have (or are willing to spend)for the initial purchase, but then later we the bucks to spend for mods. Sometimes it's that we love the car but just want to make it a little better. .. and a little better.. .. and a little better.... .. the FMIC won't give you any more power, it will just keep you from losing power to heat soak.