Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified Flash Tune Review

Trader history for commonplatypus (0)

grnmachine02

Ethanol really becomes an issue on older stuff. Most of the older vehicle fuel lines were not intended for use with such a corrosive fuel. Working in the power equipment industry (AKA I fix lawn mowers and chain saws for a living) ethanol is still a huge problem for equipment. Gas with Ethanol starts to attract water right around the 30 day mark. Even quicker in humid climates.

That being said, I ran E85 in my Volvo when the holset and megasquirt went on. It made for a very fun car. 10.5:1 compression and 25psi is neat.

It's interesting that many people were concerned about ethanol being added to gasoline but now it has proven to improve fuel quality and performance in many cases.

Theoretically speaking if in one local area you have E10 93 and pure 93 is there any benefit in using the ethanol free fuel?
In my experience the E0 fuel will have a noticeably lower knock resistance than the standard E10.

Ethanol isn't evil, and the ST's were designed to run on blends of it.

Update: Just installed the tune and took it for a test run. Took awhile to get the damn OAR to -1. Car felt great! Boost peaked just over 25psi, could only get timing correction to +4 on all cylinders (not sure if that's normal), all data within safe range, and 0 knock counts on 3rd and 4th gear pulls. Only question I have is about the Stratified TC. Should I disable the stock TC (hold the TC button), to get full benefit? Or, does the Stratified TC trump the stock system?

grnmachine02

Update: Just installed the tune and took it for a test run. Took awhile to get the damn OAR to -1. Car felt great! Boost peaked just over 25psi, could only get timing correction to +4 on all cylinders (not sure if that's normal), all data within safe range, and 0 knock counts on 3rd and 4th gear pulls. Only question I have is about the Stratified TC. Should I disable the stock TC (hold the TC button), to get full benefit? Or, does the Stratified TC trump the stock system?
You have to disable the stock TC. If you don't, you'll be using both the stratified and stock TC all at once.

Based

Can someone explain to me what corrections are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grnmachine02

Can someone explain to me what corrections are?

Timing corrections. In a nutshell, you will see positive corrections when the ECM detects no knock, and will add timing. Negative corrections are when the ECM detects knock, and pulls timing to stop said knock.

I'm genuinely interested in that clarification. I currently fill 91 that is E-free, then I dump in about 2.5 gallons of E-85. It usually takes a day or so to drain down room for the ethanol, so I do randomly see knocks register on straight 91. But once I put the E-85 in, it pulls hard with no knocks and +6 on timing corrections.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I'm genuinely interested in that clarification. I currently fill 91 that is E-free, then I dump in about 2.5 gallons of E-85. It usually takes a day or so to drain down room for the ethanol, so I do randomly see knocks register on straight 91. But once I put the E-85 in, it pulls hard with no knocks and +6 on timing corrections.

Your tune is obviously way to aggressive for just 91, especially if your adding that much ethanol to a non ethanol tune. Maybe Alex can clarify

TUX15ST

WELL HE IS ALSO SAYING HIS 91 HAS NO ETHANOL (TYPICALLY HAS 10%) SO HIS 91 IS PROBABLY MORE LIKE 89 REALISTICALLY, WHICH IS PROBABLY HIS ISSUE. i WOULD TRY MAYBE ADDING 1 GALLON OF THE E85 TO YOUR FULL TANK OF E-FREE 91 (WOULD BE ABOUT THE STANDARD 10% THEN) AND SEE IF THAT GETS YOU CLOSE TO NO OR VERY LITTLE NEGATIVE CORRECTIONS IN WHICH CASE YOU CAN DEFINITELY BLAME YOUR CRAPPY GAS LOL

Sorry, I should clarify. The post above was asking about how it might compare to stage 3. I'm using the ots 91 stage 3 map currently. I'm considering the E30 strat tune, but would want a switchable map set up in a non-standard way. Would seem silly to buy the E30 tune, then need someone else to set it up the way I want.

Sorry, I should clarify. The post above was asking about how it might compare to stage 3. I'm using the ots 91 stage 3 map currently. I'm considering the E30 strat tune, but would want a switchable map set up in a non-standard way. Would seem silly to buy the E30 tune, then need someone else to set it up the way I want.

Contact us directly with how you want the slots setup. I am almost certain we can accommodate what you want. I assume you are looking for the combo tune option in the flash tune to combine E30 and pump gas on the same file and switch between them using the cruise control:

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_123&products_id=296

Alex@Stratified - just orded an AP with your flash tune! Super stoked after following this thread since it started and FINALLY stepping from stockish to tuned. Man I bet this is going to feel like a diff car lol [burnout]

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey folks,

I thought I'd post a few thoughts here again.....a member recently asked me a few questions about my Strat tune....even though I'm on a custom tune I still have the Strat tune on my Accessport, and it was fresh on my mind so I thought why not and loaded the old Strat tune on my car for the day.

So here are a few thoughts going from a full custom tune back to this one for a day at least - this is a great tune still. Despite it having a bit less torque and hp than the custom tune (as to be expected), this tune is outstanding. It's super smooth. My reason for posting was I casually driving around not thinking about anything and noticed my Cobb AP estimated tq was 291. Obviously that number isn't completely accurate, but now that's crazy good for a stock turbo with all the bolt-ons but without E30 or meth. My Strat tune was $120 and included the base tune ($50), the one-time datalog review and upgrade ($50), and Strat traction control ($10) and Strat pops and crackles ($10). Temps were in the 40s this morning when I took the picture below.

Anyhow if you're contemplating this I'm gonna say this is the best $110 (less the pops and crackles) you can spend on your car, period. The tune is super smooth, has great response, and really feels more like a V6 than a blown 4-cyl.