Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified Flash Tune Review

Trader history for commonplatypus (0)

I have had the Stratified flash tune on my car for about 2 weeks now and am very satisfied. Throttle response and power are improved, the car overall just feels great. I have provided some VDYNO graphs below. These VDYNO graphs were done on the exact same stretch of road, with the exact same mods, wheels/tires and a full tank of gas to ensure consistency. You should concentrate on the differences between the tunes, although I do believe these numbers are fairly accurate and would not be too far off an actual dyno. I could not figure out how to change the names, but have provided a key below:

MODS:
CP-E Intake
CP-E Intercooler
MBRP Hotside Charge Pipe
93 Octane

RED: Cobb OTS S1
BLUE: Cobb OTS S2
GREEN: Stratified Flash Tune (1st revision)

Cobb v. Strat.jpg

Strat Flash Tune
+12whp +17wtq over Cobb S1
+9whp +11wtq over Cobb S2

Pretty pleased with these results, and I can definitely feel it. I believe Aaron was my tuner, as he sent me the tune file. This is also my first revision, so these numbers can only go up, although I wouldn't expect a drastic increase.

Anyways, two thumbs up for the Stratified team, very happy that I chose them as my tuner.

J2FoRS

Should make an option on the site for switching to $CAD. Since youre a Canadian company you could help us northern folks out. That way my bank/CC don't charge me exchange rates when its actually all this side of the border anyway.

Im going to call on Monday I think to try to talk about the Tune as I don't fully understand the options etc on the product page, and also to clarify the Economy slot. I use Cobbs Economy Slot alot, and I like that the boost is limited so low ~5PSI but on your page it states your equivalent type dealie is limited below 15PSI which would just be normal in town driving anyways for me. Id like a 91 slot, and a true economy slot like the Cobb one (or better?) for best KM/100L. [dunno]

KKaWing

They do have it in CAD, it's in a dropdown box on the left side under all the makes/models.

Here's my take on their flash tune on basically a stock car (Ramair inlet tube w/ KN filter). Creeping through traffic in 1st is so smooth and easy, even better than the factory tune believe it or not. Just need to stay out of boost for 1st in the rain... wheel hop like a bunny if I give it the boot like it was stock 😅 That took a bit of getting used to. Even with the warning from the local FB group, I spun the wheels like a maniac in front of my neighbours lol (my excuse is: it was wet). The "Seattle-like" weather where I am lately got me to drop money on a RMM. Basically it feels like they took out the boost limit on 1st and 2nd gear. Now if the rain and traffic will just let up, I haven't been able to go full throttle since I got the tune last week [like]

J2FoRS

They do have it in CAD, it's in a dropdown box on the left side under all the makes/models.

Here's my take on their flash tune on basically a stock car (Ramair inlet tube w/ KN filter). Creeping through traffic in 1st is so smooth and easy, even better than the factory tune believe it or not. Just need to stay out of boost for 1st in the rain... wheel hop like a bunny if I give it the boot like it was stock ?????? That took a bit of getting used to. Even with the warning from the local FB group, I spun the wheels like a maniac in front of my neighbours lol (my excuse is: it was wet). The "Seattle-like" weather where I am lately got me to drop money on a RMM. Basically it feels like they took out the boost limit on 1st and 2nd gear. Now if the rain and traffic will just let up, I haven't been able to go full throttle since I got the tune last week [like]
Awesome thanks for the info bud. Guess I'm just special I couldnt find that option. Appreciate it. Look forward to hearing your further review of it. Its been raining here too for days. Flood city. The water has swallowed up most docks etc so far.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just need to stay out of boost for 1st in the rain... wheel hop like a bunny if I give it the boot like it was stock ?????? That took a bit of getting used to. Even with the warning from the local FB group, I spun the wheels like a maniac in front of my neighbours lol (my excuse is: it was wet).
^^^This is even the case with the Cobb/Strat traction control enabled? [dunno]

KKaWing

^^^This is even the case with the Cobb/Strat traction control enabled? [dunno]
Well the Cobb TC just pulls timing so there's less power to the wheels, which lets you regain traction easier when you let off the throttle a little bit. In that sense it works perfectly. It doesn't take away wheel hop though. Mounts, bushing, and braces is needed for that purpose.

Are there plans to implement the new changes that cobb made to their ots tunes into stratified's tune?
Yes, tunes going out from this Monday forward will be built on the new COBB software and therefore will allow you to change FFS and LC on the fly. Keep in mind that these changes are reset as soon as you change a map slot or cycle the key.

What changes did they make?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Hi everyone as you know there has been a big cobb firmware and software update and there are some teething issues. I will get to those later. Now let's talk feature changes.

Some of the interesting features include a rewrite of the speed density algorithms that can make things like stroker and cammed motors easier to dial in. This won't affect the vast majority but will make those more exotic builds easier to tune.

For most people this update will allow you to adjust launch control and flat foot shift via the Cobb AP. The change is temporary and will go back to the map default once the key is cycled or map slot changed. So it's really not a huge update from this perspective. However to be able to do this you need a map update along with the firmware update. So don't just do the firmware update.

We do now have full 2017 support for the Focus and Fiesta and that's pretty awesome!

The bug right now is that if you do JUST the firmware update your car will run fine in all map slots but you will lose the ability to adjust your stratified spark based traction control via the AP. So my suggestion is to hold off on the firmware update if you are not doing a map update to go along with it. Cobb is working on a fix to address this.

All new tunes sent out from now on will be on the latest software so you will be ok updating the firmware.

I personally always caution on jumping on a software update the first day as most often with software there can be bugs. Hope this clears up the confusion!

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Awesome thanks for the info bud. Guess I'm just special I couldnt find that option. Appreciate it. Look forward to hearing your further review of it. Its been raining here too for days. Flood city. The water has swallowed up most docks etc so far.
They still base their tunes on the USD so if it fluctuates, we in Canada get shafted.

Really not a fan of that - these tunes get really pricey fast and if the Canadian dollar doesn't help me then they should be happy they're one of the best tuners as otherwise I would have no problem shopping elsewhere.

That and their tune revision turn over seems to have slowed considerably. A friend is sitting on two weeks without a tune revision...

Last edited:

J2FoRS

Does anyone use their economy slot? Hows fuel economy? Is it possible to have one of the on the fly map alots to be the regular cobb eco tune but have the Strat 91 tune?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Some of the interesting features include a rewrite of the speed density algorithms that can make things like stroker and cammed motors easier to dial in.
These engines are already technically 'strokers' (well 'under-square') right from the factory.

Just how much further can anyone extend the stroke on the 1.6? [dunno]

For most people this update will allow you to adjust launch control and flat foot shift via the Cobb AP. The change is temporary and will go back to the map default once the key is cycled or map slot changed. So it's really not a huge update from this perspective. However to be able to do this you need a map update along with the firmware update. So don't just do the firmware update.

The bug right now is that if you do JUST the firmware update your car will run fine in all map slots but you will lose the ability to adjust your stratified spark based traction control via the AP. So my suggestion is to hold off on the firmware update if you are not doing a map update to go along with it. Cobb is working on a fix to address this.

All new tunes sent out from now on will be on the latest software so you will be ok updating the firmware.

I personally always caution on jumping on a software update the first day as most often with software there can be bugs. Hope this clears up the confusion!
Alex,

I got a flash tune from you guys two weeks ago, and also did the Cobb firmware update before I saw this, so it seems I am the cautionary tale. I don't need to modify the TC setting on a daily basis, but I'd like to have the option. Is it possible to get a version of my tune compatible with the new firmware (i.e. with no revisions to the tune itself)?

WAM

I'm going through older posts on this thread and the discussions on gas brand quality caught my eye. I've previously seen claims that all gas was the same except for proprietary additives. One day I had the opportunity to nail the fuel tanker driver at a station and asked what he knew.

He said all refineries ship product through a common pipeline system, it's received at distribution centers and stored jointly in huge tanks. That generic gas is pumped into his truck and the dispatcher sets him up with a container of additive which the driver himself adds. So the only thing Shell about Shell gas is their additive package. Additives do vary in quality, but they mostly have to do with detergents etc -- nothing to do with BTUs per pound or even octane which is cracked into the fuel.

That guy distributed gas from San Diego. I found another delivering tanker driver who distributed from Los Angeles and he gave me nearly the same story. But at his distribution center, companies have their own "racks" and the additives are mixed in at the racks and then dumped into the tankers. Those racks still feed off of common un-branded storage tanks, filled from various refineries.

I can only be sure of what I was told. Can't vouch for its accuracy, but I believe it as it came from two horse's mouths. :) Be interested if anyone knows otherwise, but please quote your sources.

Last edited:

J2FoRS

I'm going through older posts on this thread and the discussions on gas brand quality caught my eye. I've previously seen claims that all gas was the same except for proprietary additives. One day I had the opportunity to nail the fuel tanker driver at a station and asked what he knew.

He said all refineries ship product through a common pipeline system, it's received at distribution centers and stored jointly in huge tanks. That generic gas is pumped into his truck and the dispatcher sets him up with a container of additive which the driver himself adds. So the only thing Shell about Shell gas is their additive package. Additives do vary in quality, but they mostly have to do with detergents etc -- nothing to do with BTUs per pound or even octane which is cracked into the fuel.

That guy distributed gas from San Diego. I found another delivering tanker driver who distributed from Los Angeles and he gave me nearly the same story. But at his distribution center, companies have their own "racks" and the additives are mixed in at the racks and then dumped into the tankers. Those racks still feed off of common un-branded storage tanks, filled from various refineries.

I can only be sure of what I was told. Can't vouch for its accuracy, but I believe it as it came from two horse's mouths. :) Be interested if anyone knows otherwise, but please quote your sources.
I think everyone is aware where fuel comes from and is distributed. The difference is in fact the additives as you say, and the individual companies own testing practices combined with federal regs and testing. Where alot of the issue comes in is the added ethanol. More ethanol = less fuel economy. Higher ethenol = increased performance often. I use shell Shell Nitro due to it NOT containing/adding ethanol to its mix. And while their proprietary blend may very well be "snake oil" I'm a believer in its engine cleaning properties.

To each their own. But yes gas all comes from the same place, the ground. If its sitting in farmer joes rusted leaking barrel for months between refills, and hundreds of miles from government inspections, or on a reserve, it could very well be full of ethanol/water/monkey piss. In a well regulated/headoffice visited/government tested big company that empties its tanks multiple times weekly, i believe I'm getting good fresh ethanol free juice for my little snot rocket.
Also can't forget that for me and the wife using Nitro accounts for multiple round trip flights per year with Air Miles. Haha.
My 2 cents.

I think everyone is aware where fuel comes from and is distributed. The difference is in fact the additives as you say, and the individual companies own testing practices combined with federal regs and testing. Where alot of the issue comes in is the added ethanol. More ethanol = less fuel economy. Higher ethenol = increased performance often. I use shell Shell Nitro due to it NOT containing/adding ethanol to its mix. And while their proprietary blend may very well be "snake oil" I'm a believer in its engine cleaning properties.

To each their own. But yes gas all comes from the same place, the ground. If its sitting in farmer joes rusted leaking barrel for months between refills, and hundreds of miles from government inspections, or on a reserve, it could very well be full of ethanol/water/monkey piss. In a well regulated/headoffice visited/government tested big company that empties its tanks multiple times weekly, i believe I'm getting good fresh ethanol free juice for my little snot rocket.

My 2 cents.
Interestingly enough doing tuning of my personal car has shown that ethanol free gas from a variety of places has an enormous dip in power potential.

I've had situations (more than one) I've had to quite literally pull over and adjust my tune in a parking lot due to the amount of knock I was experiencing from ethanol free gas.

This could definitely be an area specific thing but I refuse to run ethanol free gas in my car at this point.

J2FoRS

Interestingly enough doing tuning of my personal car has shown that ethanol free gas from a variety of places has an enormous dip in power potential.

I've had situations (more than one) I've had to quite literally pull over and adjust my tune in a parking lot due to the amount of knock I was experiencing from ethanol free gas.

This could definitely be an area specific thing but I refuse to run ethanol free gas in my car at this point.
Yes as I said. It gives performance but less fuel economy. I get 100+km more to a tank of shell 91 nitro than i get wirhth petro 94. I drive this car for its blend of fuel economy/practicality/driveable performance.

I guess ill have to hope Alex can still provide me with a tune on 91 Nitro.

Yes as I said. It gives performance but less fuel economy. I get 100+km more to a tank of shell 91 nitro than i get wirhth petro 94. I drive this car for its blend of fuel economy/practicality/driveable performance.

I guess ill have to hope Alex can still provide me with a tune on 91 Nitro.
We don't have much ethanol free gas in my area, just a few stations offer it I was just bummed I was having dial out 5+ degrees of timing which was effectively the same timing as the OEM tune :-/

I feel like there is certainly better ethanol free gas available in other areas. I just think my location is a poor example.