Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified Flash Tune Review

Trader history for commonplatypus (0)

The TC setting that is default on ours is 1 but this is very close to the middle of the range (4). We can setup any of the modes you want as default if you specify this when you purchase the feature or add it.
Thanks Alex. I unfortunately already purchased the tune but I haven't gone through my revision yet. Would it be possible to do this when I send in the datalogs for revision?

AzNightmare

Alex, I'm trying to get a hold of someone at Stratified. Sent a few emails over the past few days and have not received a reply yet... Should I continue emailing more? I'm not really sure what to do.

Loved the power and almost everything about the Stratified flash tune, except I could not shift smoothly for the life of me driving around town, especially lower gears. I would always jerk it going from 1-2, and sometimes 2-3. I went back to the Cobb OTS tune and it feels much easier to drive smoothly. I guess maybe it's the throttle mapping or rev hang adjustments, or maybe it's just me. I guess I just need to do a custom tune with Stratified to get exactly what I want. Anyone else experience this?

Loved the power and almost everything about the Stratified flash tune, except I could not shift smoothly for the life of me driving around town, especially lower gears. I would always jerk it going from 1-2, and sometimes 2-3. I went back to the Cobb OTS tune and it feels much easier to drive smoothly. I guess maybe it's the throttle mapping or rev hang adjustments, or maybe it's just me. I guess I just need to do a custom tune with Stratified to get exactly what I want. Anyone else experience this?
The throttle mapping annoys me too. I switched to a custom tune primarily to address it.

I know they’ve started offering an option for less aggressive throttle mapping on the FoST Flash tune, maybe they’ll do the same for Fiesta soon.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The throttle mapping annoys me too. I switched to a custom tune primarily to address it.

I know they’ve started offering an option for less aggressive throttle mapping on the FoST Flash tune, maybe they’ll do the same for Fiesta soon.
Is it so bad that just barely touching the pedal, the throttle plate is opened half way or more??

Is it so bad that just barely touching the pedal, the throttle plate is opened half way or more??
No, it’s just makes it harder to get a smooth start from a stop and harder to maintain a sensible parking lot speed. You get the hang of it after a while but I prefer the feel of the stock mapping. Plus with the added power, a more linear throttle map will help in keeping traction under control.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Alex, I'm trying to get a hold of someone at Stratified. Sent a few emails over the past few days and have not received a reply yet... Should I continue emailing more? I'm not really sure what to do.
He patrols the forums regularly.... but don't colour me surprised that you're not getting an immediate reply. They're not the quickest at Stratified.

Not sure what everyone is complaining about with the throttle mapping, I don't have a problem with it and I installed the tune and my wife didn't even notice.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can send me an email directly at tmiddleton@stratifiedauto.com if you want, I may be able to help out.

KKaWing

Is it the throttle opening up more than the accelerator input or just the boost / torque limiter taken off? I mean the little turbo spools very quickly and peaks just under 26psi around 2500-3500 rpm-ish. The throttle feels pretty linear once past that "super boost" range. At least that's what it feels like to me.

He patrols the forums regularly.... but don't colour me surprised that you're not getting an immediate reply. They're not the quickest at Stratified.
Unfortunately it makes things much more difficult if I drop what I'm working on to switch to another customer every time a post is made. It would be nice if it were that easy, but it's not unfortunately.

It's much more streamlined to work on a first in first out model. Even knowing that, I and others still try to take care of the small inquiries where we can.

I'm well aware of your criticisms as I've seen the many posts of yours recently. They are duly noted.

Throttle mapping is a complex situation actually. With drive by wire vehicles such as the Fiesta and pretty much all modern cars the driver input on the pedal goes through multiple translations before it results in a response from the engine. Here's a summary.

Accelerator pedal position -> translation in a torque request per gear -> Torque request translates into a load request -> Determine if we are reaching any limits or trims -> Translates into an airflow request -> Goes through the engine VE and turbocharger model -> Determines camshaft, throttle, wastegate, spark timing, fueling targets to achieve airflow and torque -> APPLIES these to actuators (wastegate, coil packs, fuel injectors/pump/ throttle plate, camshaft solenoids) -> Reads back boost, AFR, knock, camshaft position -> Determines if it has reached current torque request -> Adjusts all parameters as necessary -> Loop repeats.

Before drive by wire, the ECU was reactive. The driver moved the throttle and the ECU scrambled to deliver the ingredients needed to make the engine run at the requested throttle opening by the driver.

Now, we want to create a natural response from the vehicle but the driver input goes through a lot of filters and processes instead of the ECU simply reacting to it - it dictates it.

Because of this we spend a lot of time refining this driveability aspect. By the same token different calibrations can feel very different. Some will be pleased by one calibration and others not so much. The whole system also relies on the human driver actually adapting to the calibration as well - getting used to it. That doesn't mean we don't try our best to have as good of a response as possible (not too harsh, adjustable, flexible, sporty).

Anyways, just wanted to give some insight into what goes on behind the scenes to achieve the "feel" of the calibration. I plan to offer a few more choices (less and more aggressive similar to what the Focus ST has on offer) to help cater to a wider range of preferences.

I will also say that after calibrating a lot of drive by wire cars, Ford vehicles are some of the most natural in response - while not perfect, the Ford ECU and implementation is much more seamless than many others.

You go to their website and follow their instructions for purchasing a tune. They go through their process and email you a tune. You load the file onto your access port. Exactly like Stratified.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Good things take time! Even tho Strat may take time with the revisions, the revisions are truly revised every time. Just ask me how I know, as my first pro-tuner was a joke!

In addition, I haven't sent Strat a log in over a month because of my busy schedule, and Im sure they will fully tune me and have me on my merry way. That alone goes to show they wait for the customer as well.

Furthermore, I don't get why someone would want to be tuned within a week and be done, you're putting a lot of money into this car, don't you want it to be safe, reliable, drivable, fast? I know I would!

No complaints about Strat over here, we must just be more laid back on the WestCoast!

Sent from my CIA monitored device

Dude you're hurting and hurting bad. P.m. me your address, I'm going to send you a Starbucks gift card to help make it better. Seriously.

Stratified is quite awesome! Though I'm on a custom tune now from another tuner, I did use their log review and adjustment option and must say it is a fantastic tune.
LOL, but seriously guys, don't engage him. Every time you do it just gives him another reason to clog up the thread by restating the same opinions which he has made clear on numerous occasions in at least 3 different threads.

Back on topic: I think the main issue with the throttle mapping is just that it comes on very quickly, and because the car has so much torque down low, it can create a rough shift or lurching if you get on the throttle too quickly/heavily in lower gears. It requires a more delicate touch to get right, so it is an adjustment coming from other tunes. I would personally prefer it be less aggressive down low for getting around town, or for maintaining fine throttle control in a corner. I figure once you are getting towards the high end of the throttle map, you are probably just going WOT anyway, so you don't need to be quite as precise/linear up there (at least if the TC is doing its job).

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Word is photobucket is trying to do a cash grab before they pull the plug in 6 months or less.