Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Laguna Seca Cyborg FiST 1/30/16

Hey Everyone!

I want to share my experience with my FiST at Laguna Seca this year. If any of you guys remember, I was at Laguna Seca last month and oh boy was it a crappy day for a track event. It was windy, cold, and extremely rainy! Thankfully enough, not even a month later, I was blessed by the car gods and got a PERFECT Turbo Weather day to fun my FiST. It was a Solid 55 degrees ambient, cloudy, and DRY. Perfect conditions to beat the crap out of my little tiny car. The car preformed exceptionally well, even with the TCS off. It was able to hug all the corners just perfectly without any hint of oversteer and understeer. It felt perfectly composed in all areas, and whereever I would turn the wheel, it would just shoot. I was able to keep up with Lexus ISF's, E92 and E46 M3's, Track Prepped 4.6L Mustang GT, Tuned Pontiac GXP, and many others. Not bad for a little 1.6L [driving]

I probably pushed my car the hardest at this event than any other events. Even with that added stress the car kept on trucking. My coolant Temps never went over 230 degrees and oil floated around 245-250. That is with a 25/75 coolant/distilled water and water wetter mix plus the new Mishimoto Oil cooler. What did show the most wear are my brakes. I previously toasted 1 set of the Wilwood Spec37 GT rotors on my car, they lasted about 5 track days. After toasting those I decided to go with the plain ULT rotors for my car. They were $28 a piece as opposed to the "stronger" GT rotors which retail about ~$100 a piece. These were the ones I ran on the track and to my Amazement, after 3 track days I completely cooked these, which quite frankly exceeded my expectations. I'll be getting another set and will never get another Spec37 GT set ever again, the cheapo plain rotors are much more cost efficient. I paired these with the Wilwood PolyMatrix E compound and they preformed so so. They tend to lose their bite after a few hot laps and for whatever reason chunks of the pads started to fall off as if the compound was getting brittle, I don't think they were able to take the heat. That was with my Porsche 997 Brake Air Dams installed. I would recommend going with the HAWK DTC60 compound as I liked those pads more and they seemed to bite harder. I also installed some SVT Caliper brackets and bigger 280mm rotors in the rear, these helped a ton under hard braking. I feel like it made the brake bias more neutral and the rear didn't feel as floaty under hard braking as before. A must do upgrade for those that can find some old salvaged SVT parts. My Dunlop Star Specs took a thrashing too, this is my 5th track day on them and they are still holding up beautifully, despite the chunks missing out of the rubber, I still have about 30% life left on them. Even after 5,000 DD miles they still look good! [hihi]

As far as the Cyborg performance on the track. I ran the car the first 2 sessions on E30 and oh man did it make a difference. I was able to stay on a ISF's tail all the way up to the corkscrew on E30. He couldn't pull away from me. For those that don't know, that segment of track up to the corkscrew is uphill, and the ISF couldn't outrun me. Also those that don't know, ISF's are FAST. I used to own one before my Z06 and the way those are geared and with their 5.0L V8, they haul ass. So it was nice knowing I can keep up with one of those with a E30 Cyborg. Unfortuately my first two sessions I was not pushing the car 10/10, more like 8/10 as I was getting more comfortable with the other cars in my group and trying to catch a groove on the track. After my second session I ran out of E30 and had to fill up with Junk-O 91 Octane. My impressions of the Cyborg with 91 octane were not that great. The car does not pull any different than a Stage 3 FiST. Even though I see boost of 22-21 psi all the way to redline, it did not feel any different. [MENTION=1536]LeonardSkeonard[/MENTION] can testify to this as he was at the event with me, and we were hitting the SAME exact top speeds at the ends of each straight and the top of the corkscrew. Even on our way home, we decided to do a quick 3rd gear drag race and we were dead even from 30 mph up to 100 mph. I emailed Adam from Tune+ if he could offer some insight and we are currently working on a solution.

Overall I had a great time and I hope to track with many of you in the months to come!

Now for photos and video!

The FiST

Passenger Side Tire after the track day:

Driver Side Tire

Rotors

Passing Video
[video=youtube;GpFBD8afMmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpFBD8afMmo[/video]
Fastest Lap Video
[video=youtube;gDb1u6q64gg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDb1u6q64gg[/video]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thanks for the info !!!
If nothing else, I think you can validate the durability of the cyborg at this point. Maybe next time bring (2) 5gal cans of E85 with you ;) but either way, don't make too much sense for a stock turbo car to be keeping up that close to you on a big straight away on equal gas. Hopefully, something can be done tune wise about that.

Great info on the SVT brakes too, so its just a SVT caliper bracket, rotor and.... That's it?

I'm also impressed with the wear on thise star specs. I've been scared to buy real tires for my car because I'm afraid of spending a ton on tires and having to replace them in 8k miles like I used to with drag radials on my srt4.

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the info !!!
If nothing else, I think you can validate the durability of the cyborg at this point. Maybe next time bring (2) 5gal cans of E85 with you ;) but either way, don't make too much sense for a stock turbo car to be keeping up that close to you on a big straight away on equal gas. Hopefully, something can be done tune wise about that.

Great info on the SVT brakes too, so its just a SVT caliper bracket, rotor and.... That's it?

I'm also impressed with the wear on thise star specs. I've been scared to buy real tires for my car because I'm afraid of spending a ton on tires and having to replace them in 8k miles like I used to with drag radials on my srt4.
Yeah hopefully, Adam is going to pull boost and add more timing to see if that helps. And yeah, it is just the bracket and rotor. I got my rear brakes and calipers off of a parted out SVT on craigslist for $80. Our piston/caliper slides over the SVT bracket and the rotor just slides on, same pads too. Easy Peazy

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Nice... Well.... Ford doesn't sell the bracket or the rotors ( to save you guys time, lol ).

Siestarider

Cyborg sure looks and sounds good on big end in the videos, thanks for posting. Looking forward to the HPDE community reaction when we drive up to an event for drivers meeting. Oh shit, another Fist. Where are these things coming from?

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
Nice... Well.... Ford doesn't sell the bracket or the rotors ( to save you guys time, lol ).
Yeah I looked forever for the brackets for months, finally found a part out on craigslist. Maybe we can get someone to CNC them *cough* [MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION] *cough*

Siestarider

Yeah, as one of the searchers, I applaud your find. Good price too. I agree on track rear does not feel like its doing its share of braking with stock setup.

My oil Temps never went over 230 degrees and oil floated around 245-250. That is with a 25/75 coolant/distilled water and water wetter mix.
Just to make sure we're correct here, the oil temps were in the 230*F range, and coolant was around 245-250*F?

That's on a 55*F ambient day?

Stock oil cooler and radiator I assume.

Looks like a great time!

mishimoto1

Yeah I looked forever for the brackets for months, finally found a part out on craigslist. Maybe we can get someone to CNC them *cough* [MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION] *cough*
We appreciate the suggestion! At this time there is nothing in the works, but that sounds like something worth looking into.

Thanks for the tag!
-Sara

OP
J
Thread Starter #11
Just to make sure we're correct here, the oil temps were in the 230*F range, and coolant was around 245-250*F?

That's on a 55*F ambient day?

Stock oil cooler and radiator I assume.

Looks like a great time!
Oh nice catch! It is acrually the other way around. That is with the Mishimoto Oil cooler and the water wetter mix. Oil never went over 240 and coolant never went over 230 at 55Ā° Ambient outside.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Nice... The 2JR intake is ridiculous. Your videos are the poster child for how loud it is.

Siestarider

I agree with Hijinx, I did not know you were running the 2J intake until I watched video, unmistakable, and really cool sound.

I could not run it, have just learned my exhaust notes reasonably well, would have to either read tach or learn new intake notes to shift.

OP
J
Thread Starter #14
Nice... The 2JR intake is ridiculous. Your videos are the poster child for how loud it is.
I agree with Hijinx, I did not know you were running the 2J intake until I watched video, unmistakable, and really cool sound.

I could not run it, have just learned my exhaust notes reasonably well, would have to either read tach or learn new intake notes to shift.
Actually guys I don't have the 2JR intake. All that noise is my exhaust. I ran a microphone from my go pro out to my rear bumper right above the muffler tips. That would be a crazy induction noise though! I currently am using the injen intake.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Actually guys I don't have the 2JR intake. All that noise is my exhaust. I ran a microphone from my go pro out to my rear bumper right above the muffler tips. That would be a crazy induction noise though! I currently am using the injen intake.
Dang. Because that's pretty much what it sounds like inside the car lol.

Siestarider

Hells bells, wrong again. Now I am going to have to replay. I assumed that was intake by the rpm onset, my 3" goes from loud at 3500 to shriek at 6500, but not so suddenly or loudly to my ears.