Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dp and exhaust size test results

GAbOS

OT: I'm with MadFiesta. If I were to get any exhaust and not do it myself, it would be the MAPerformance unit. Keeps the best stock engine sound without being obtrusive.

OT: I'm with MadFiesta. If I were to get any exhaust and not do it myself, it would be the MAPerformance unit. Keeps the best stock engine sound without being obtrusive.
Like GabOs said, any custom shop could build an adequate exhaust aluminized with Vibrant resonator and Magnaflow for $400. I prefer to support vendors. The MAP is resonated and has a rear muffler. Trust me a downpipe is usually the second best mod not to AP tune not only for power but turbo spool time.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Not many exhaust shops will build a proper mandrel bent exhaust but will gladly take your money to make something with crush bends, aluminized steel that is more prone to rust, often very questionable quality materials, poor flowing mufflers and or resonators....simply not worth it when for a bit more you can buy a very well made SS system.

------------

Comparing the gains on a big turbo Supra to a tiny turbo FiST just does not equate.

Stock exhaust is fine for most owners, Cyborg can use a bigger setup and a 2.5 might be better than a 3" but only real testing would prove which is best, big turbo, 3" most likely best but not absolutely, it could depend on many other things to a particular setup.

OP
F
Thread Starter #25
Not many exhaust shops will build a proper mandrel bent exhaust but will gladly take your money to make something with crush bends, aluminized steel that is more prone to rust, often very questionable quality materials, poor flowing mufflers and or resonators....simply not worth it when for a bit more you can buy a very well made SS system.

------------

Comparing the gains on a big turbo Supra to a tiny turbo FiST just does not equate.

Stock exhaust is fine for most owners, Cyborg can use a bigger setup and a 2.5 might be better than a 3" but only real testing would prove which is best, big turbo, 3" most likely best but not absolutely, it could depend on many other things to a particular setup.
The article also says they saw a 30hp gain on a 300hp car going from 3 to 3.5in and we're talking about smaller then that 2.5 to 3in which sounds like that would be equivalent to our car (240hp 2.5-3, 300hp 3-3.5in) but yea I understand the small turbo might change that

------------

Thats why I stated to OP that it would be aluminized, Vibrant resonator $80_90$ Magnaflow 18521 I think is about $100. Are exhaust has very few places to require a mandrel bend, 90" prefabbed turns would be adequate. Again I am going off the general consensus that our factory exhaust is good with stock turbo/ tuned anyway.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Any bend needs to be a mandrel or it is compromised.

Using pre bent mandrel bends would make it much better but that is going to take a lot of labor driving up the cost.

Alumanized and welded also means rust at each weld and most welders leave a bit of slag inside the piping disrupting flow.

I have had a lot of custom exhaust systems and in later years built all my own in the decades of modding cars I have done and it is best to just bite the bullet and buy a good system, get it on sale or used, etc....

with the DI setup on the fiesta we run higher afrs than old school turbo cars which in turn is less exhaust gases. it has been tested over here and with a decat on the stock exhaust with the big efr turbo going to a 3" exhaust barely made any gains.

MBRP is a great deal for a versatile exhaust (2.5in flange to 3inch so its perfect for big turbo) that sounds awesome. You cannot go wrong in my opinion. I also looked at the nice sound Cobb but the price wasnt right. The MBRP is aluminized(I think?) and weighs about 14lbs less I believe due to deleting the resonator. But Its NOT Stainless if you need that for your area.

MBRP is a great deal for a versatile exhaust (2.5in flange to 3inch so its perfect for big turbo) that sounds awesome. You cannot go wrong in my opinion. I also looked at the nice sound Cobb but the price wasnt right. The MBRP is aluminized(I think?) and weighs about 14lbs less I believe due to deleting the resonator. But Its NOT Stainless if you need that for your area.
MBRP offers 3 levels of their exhaust, cheapest is aluminized, mid range is stainless 409 which is a low quality stainless that can rust, top tier is stainless 304 which is the best and will not rust.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I've had my aluminized for two Southern Illinois winters and it looks fine. Aluminized might get a little rusty on the outside but shouldnt rust through very quickly as long as it's taken care of. It won't look pretty, but it's under the car. Now, if you live somewhere much farther north, with heavier snowfall and much more salt exposure, YMMV. But, i can't imagine exhaust piping on every stock car is falling off left and right up there after a couple winters. Aluminized is what you get from the factory, if I'm not mistaken. Or is it the 409?

OP
F
Thread Starter #34
yea I'm lucky where I live my car will never see temps bellow freezing, or snow so I think alum. is fine

Hello,

Time to revive this machine; how loud will I be with a catless depo DP, resonator delete to a stock muffler?

Thank you in advance!

- JR