Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY Boost Gauge

FYI - This is a re-post of a thread I started over on fiestast.org (here).

This project came about as I was researching boost gauges for the FiST. I had looked into a COBB Accessport, but wasn't ready to drop the $$$ for a tune/risk my warranty. After watching a review for the new WRX, I noticed that Subaru included a digital boost gauge in their software. It got me thinking - "How hard can it be?".

Then I remembered reading about a custom OBD-II/Raspberry Pi project on a blog (check it out here) and thought it would make a great end-of-summer project (I started this back in July). In addition, I'd have access to whatever vehicle data I wanted. The plan was to output this information to a 2x16 character LCD (example) for simplicity, and also because I managed to find one that matched the FiST's dash LCD pretty darn well.

In summary, the goals for this project are:
  • Learn how to code in Python
  • Learn how to output data from Raspberry Pi to LCD
  • Display diagnostic data from OBD-II (mainly boost pressure)
  • Don't electrocute myself
  • Don't start anything on fire

Helpful links (running list):

FAQ:
"Why not use Torque Pro? (OBD-II Android app) There's already been lots of development on that."
Since originally responding, I've actually utilized Torque Pro a bit and found it to be very useful! However, it was a bit "busy" for my tastes, and I use my phone for calls/music when driving. In addition, I have a 5" Nexus 6P, which I don't really feel like mounting to the windshield. Finally, I'm a software engineer by day, so the opportunity to learn a new programming language is a great opportunity to expand my skill set

"It would be cool if you could interface a pressure transducer to the Raspberry Pi and design a digital display without the need to occupy the OBD-II port!"
There are already quite a few projects I've found where this had been done. Also, I'm interested to see if there's any latency issues with utilizing the OBD-II interface.

Update 8/27/15:
Working Python script to grab the engine RPM:

[video=youtube;JbrFzkmqNC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbrFzkmqNC4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Update 9/10/15:
Supplies from Amazon arrive:

Everything wired up (attempt #1):

Unfortunately, this attempt resulted in a fried OLED display. Some wiring adjustments were necessary.

Update 9/21/15:
New display arrives, testing:

Python code working on Raspberry Pi:

[video=youtube;USFfg1GxvGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USFfg1GxvGw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Update 2/7/16:
I updated my Python scripts to utilize the python-OBD library due to it's excellent documentation and expansive features/functions (i.e. RPM's, throttle position, boost pressure, etc.).

These scripts are running on the Raspberry Pi, outputting data successfully to the OLED display. I am now looking into wiring the Pi's power into the FiST, and am exploring the Mausberry 2A Car Supply/Switch.

Due to the way the Mausberry switch works, I need to tap three locations in the glovebox:
  • Fuse with a constant 12V supply (even when car is off)
  • Fuse with switched 12V supply (relies on ignition/accessory)
  • Ground
I'd welcome advice from anyone familiar with the 2014 FiST fuses as to which will work. I should note that I've already tapped the rear wiper fuse for my dash cam. It should be fairly easy to test the fuses myself, but I am concerned about a separate ground point. I'm currently using the screw located to the top right of the fusebox for my dash cam ground (seen here).

Update 6/29/16
I've got a blog post together here chronicling the entire project!

OP
Manuel
Thread Starter #5
Well, almost a year later and I've got something to share!

[video=youtube;kVyh6FTyh9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVyh6FTyh9E[/video]

I've been running a working version of the code in my car for a few weeks now with no major issues. There is still plenty of room for improvement (I've already started a list...), but I'm happy with how it's come together so far.

A publicly available copy of the code is available on my Github (here) along with some documentation to support the setup/usage of the project files.

I'll be working on a full blog/forum post to highlight the project start to finish, but for now feel free to share your comments/criticisms/suggestions!