Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Exterior appearance: Sleeper vs. Rally look

I guess it seems to be depending on color; I see more flashy rally style with people who pick up the more flashy colors (molten orange, green envy) i'm going rally since I got a green envy. :)

Brura22

How is me calling you a ricer, which you already admitted you are, in some self proclaimed thread, make me young and new.

Is everyone here supposed to know of your god awful rice thread. Are you famous or think you are??? Lololol i love it.
Calm down man, I post in jest. Take the hate to the CT facebook section. I just like bright colors and junk.

Brura22

Calm down man, I post in jest. Take the hate to the CT facebook section. I just like bright colors and junk.
Oh goodness you must have misunderstood me. I apologize, i didn't mean to confuse you.

I wasn't being hateful, i just thought you were funny!

Just have the STOA badges, tint, Eibach springs, and MBRP system. I have an Envy Green one so mine can never be a sleeper.....I prefer to say mine is an obnoxious sleeper.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The car does not even have a wing, it has a spoiler and this part highly likely upsets the costly wind tunnel effort Ford put into designing what the car came with stock:(

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Everybody calls it a wing; arguing the semantics is a bit pedantic. Just like everyone that freaks out over requiring the use of the terms 'roll resistor' or 'wheels', it is pretty lame to quibble over such nonsense. The parts are called 'wing risers', not 'spoiler risers that upset the costly wind tunnel effort Ford put into design'.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
A wing and a spoiler are completely different in design and function. Putting parts under a spoiler and calling it a wing are quite misleading as rising a wing up into cleaner air makes it more effective, when done right of course. Pushing a spoiler up and letting air under it can make the car unstable at speed which could lead to a catastrophic result;)

The company that makes those parts is not doing less informed individuals a great service, the same company makes many fine parts and could make many more, I hope they do.

It seems many do not know the difference between an engine and a motor but in that case it does not generally create a potential safety hazard so I tend to not say much about it.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I can honestly say that I have not heard of a single crash that was attributed to wing risers, lol.

GAbOS

The car does not even have a wing, it has a spoiler and this part highly likely upsets the costly wind tunnel effort Ford put into designing what the car came with stock:(
We talked about this in person, Rick. There needs to be, even just a skin, a way to seriously effect airflow over the beck. It' goes completely dead otherwise we wouldn't need out rear wipers. ;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is my point, it will undermine stability to some degree:)

At least if a yarn test was done it could show the effects to a certain degree and it does make sense that it would stall the air and cause lift.
It would be nice if the manufacturer actually did some basic testing before offering such parts for sale.

The car was designed with a rather loose rear end to make it more fun, at very high speeds taking away more grip could end up if not causing at least contributing to lose of control and a very serious crash.

It is not to likely we will ever see a crash attributed to the risers due to the fact it will not be looked at that way, only in hard core racing does such analysis of crashes take place. Public road crashes at higher speeds are nearly always just noted as being due to excessive speed, lose of control, etc, accident investigators are not even trained to look much beyond that and maybe a blown tire.

Most drivers are not going to push their car to that level and most should not be doing so unless on a track and have some real experience but we have in our midst some that have not shown enough self restraint and tragic results followed, it could happen at lower velocities due to less rear grip using such a mod.

----------------

My posts are about a specific part, not the overall company product line as they build many excellent parts, this one they got a bit off course on unfortunately and they are not the only ones making parts that destabilize the rear of the car aerodynamically.

I have discussed these maters with somebody that knows more about this subject than all of us combined on this forum, it is a real issue that might only come into play on certain and rare occasions but those are the occasions where life can be on the line.

GAbOS

So you've heard of crashes attributed to wing risers? Or nah?
Nope, but a lightened rear causing an accident is well within the realm of possibility at speed. I was merely pointing out the theory behind my reasoning.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
That is my point, it will undermine stability to some degree:)

At least if a yarn test was done it could show the effects to a certain degree and it does make sense that it would stall the air and cause lift.
It would be nice if the manufacturer actually did some basic testing before offering such parts for sale.

The car was designed with a rather loose rear end to make it more fun, at very high speeds taking away more grip could end up if not causing at least contributing to lose of control and a very serious crash.

It is not to likely we will ever see a crash attributed to the risers due to the fact it will not be looked at that way, only in hard core racing does such analysis of crashes take place. Public road crashes at higher speeds are nearly always just noted as being due to excessive speed, lose of control, etc, accident investigators are not even trained to look much beyond that and maybe a blown tire.

Most drivers are not going to push their car to that level and most should not be doing so unless on a track and have some real experience but we have in our midst some that have not shown enough self restraint and tragic results followed, it could happen at lower velocities due to less rear grip using such a mod.

----------------

My posts are about a specific part, not the overall company product line as they build many excellent parts, this one they got a bit off course on unfortunately and they are not the only ones making parts that destabilize the rear of the car aerodynamically.

I have discussed these maters with somebody that knows more about this subject than all of us combined on this forum, it is a real issue that might only come into play on certain and rare occasions but those are the occasions where life can be on the line.
Your argument falls apart with the majority of individual parts and being pedantic about a name does nothing but come off as petty. A bigger turbo can cause a driver to go faster on their already light chassis, causing an accident. Increasing any amount of performance, removing limiters, adding boost, etc., can cause a high-speed accident that wouldn't have occurred when unmodified. Not surprisingly, none of these 'because racecar' modifications are condemned in such a personal manner with meager attempts at using physics as the supposed backbone.

Let people like whatever they like, it's their money and their car.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It has been quite some time since we have had one of our little debates which is not the intention of my posts in this thread in the least. I have no further comments on the matter.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
It has been quite some time since we have had one of our little debates which is not the intention of my posts in this thread in the least. I have no further comments on the matter.
Yeah, I haven't been on the forum much lately, too much life going on.

You're passionate about your car and mods and I can respect that. I, personally, would rather just support the car community as a whole. People do things that I don't like or I think is dumb, but our community is small enough that the constant criticism doesn't really help. People grow into and out of 'stages' of what they do/don't like, I just wish that people would embrace the culture more as a whole than just their own individual preferences.

Whether someone does something that could ultimately affect safety is their choice but, realistically speaking, there is a much larger chance that any accident will be caused by driver error than any one mod, cosmetic or because racecar, can cause without an individual being behind the wheel.