Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any interest in Rota Slipstreams 16x8, 4x108?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I recommend reconsidering the 225/45/16 SS due to the actual specs of the tire as the stated size is not often the real size and does not include some very pertinent information.

Stock tire diameter is 23.4" the SS is 23.9 which changes the gearing a bit and adds a bit more clearance issue on lowered cars.

More importantly is the weight at 23lbs each, a very heavy tire for it's size.

The section width is 8.9" and tread width is 8.5" so it is a very wide tire and would have better turn in response, feedback, and sidewall control keeping the tread on the ground more evenly, it would be better on a 9" wide rim.

Sometimes a certain tire for certain applications may be the fastest if you are autocrossing on them but the rest of the use might not be optimal.

---------

This tire is better suited for an 8" wide rim.

205/50/16n SS, a bit taller than the 225 above at 24.1", shorter would be better.
21lbs, saving 8 lbs of unsprung rotational mass which is significant, 8.4 section and 7.5" tread, it will simply have better overall feedback and control and also less tendency to hydroplane in the rain.

I like the specs of the Hankook RS-3 in 205/45/16 better than either of those tires.
20 lbs, 12lbs less unsprung weight than the 225 SS, 8.1 section, 7.5 tread which is very good on an 8" wide rim, 23.2" diameter which is very close to stock, more clearance, etc....

The Rival S in 215/45/16 has some good numbers, a very sticky tire but a bit less feedback than some, I like my 15's, good for autocross and a quick canyon run, would overheat on a race track a bit too quickly.

20lbs, 23.6" diameter, 8.4 section, 7.3 tread, my 15s ride very well and have low noise.

I run the 225/45/15 on 15x9 as it was proven to be much quicker and easier to drive than on an 8" wide wheel, just as a point of reference this is mentioned, I have had hundreds of sets of wheels and tires and learned to really dig in and work out the best setup for my particular needs. I like to help others look at this a bit more in depth to make better choices to maximize the fun of driving this cool little car we get to use:)

Rick

Thanks for the suggestion, I may drop down to 215 in this case.
Have you tried the Falken Azenis RT615K?

If so, what are your opinions on them?

Thanks again.

I recommend reconsidering the 225/45/16 SS due to the actual specs of the tire as the stated size is not often the real size and does not include some very pertinent information.

Stock tire diameter is 23.4" the SS is 23.9 which changes the gearing a bit and adds a bit more clearance issue on lowered cars.

More importantly is the weight at 23lbs each, a very heavy tire for it's size.

The section width is 8.9" and tread width is 8.5" so it is a very wide tire and would have better turn in response, feedback, and sidewall control keeping the tread on the ground more evenly, it would be better on a 9" wide rim.

Sometimes a certain tire for certain applications may be the fastest if you are autocrossing on them but the rest of the use might not be optimal.

---------

This tire is better suited for an 8" wide rim.

205/50/16n SS, a bit taller than the 225 above at 24.1", shorter would be better.
21lbs, saving 8 lbs of unsprung rotational mass which is significant, 8.4 section and 7.5" tread, it will simply have better overall feedback and control and also less tendency to hydroplane in the rain.

I like the specs of the Hankook RS-3 in 205/45/16 better than either of those tires.
20 lbs, 12lbs less unsprung weight than the 225 SS, 8.1 section, 7.5 tread which is very good on an 8" wide rim, 23.2" diameter which is very close to stock, more clearance, etc....

The Rival S in 215/45/16 has some good numbers, a very sticky tire but a bit less feedback than some, I like my 15's, good for autocross and a quick canyon run, would overheat on a race track a bit too quickly.

20lbs, 23.6" diameter, 8.4 section, 7.3 tread, my 15s ride very well and have low noise.

I run the 225/45/15 on 15x9 as it was proven to be much quicker and easier to drive than on an 8" wide wheel, just as a point of reference this is mentioned, I have had hundreds of sets of wheels and tires and learned to really dig in and work out the best setup for my particular needs. I like to help others look at this a bit more in depth to make better choices to maximize the fun of driving this cool little car we get to use:)

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have not used the new version of the RT215, the original version was great when it came out but better tires came along and fell behind for quite some time, the new version might be pretty good and some like it quite a bit but one has to verify the experience of those that like or dislike a tire to be sure they are getting the right feedback on it.

I would likely lean towards the 205 instead of the 215 when looking at actual specs which again is always more important than posted generic sizes.

--------------

Some tires have a stiffer sidewall thus can be a bit wider on a given rim size and work quite well but mostly a bit wider than factory wheel width specs show works better.

--------------

Another way to look at tires is to see what the rules are for a given class if into autocross, time trials, etc but also look into who is fastest on what tires in the class. Sometimes the fastest tire is a bit wide for the rim but the driver knows how to exploit the extra grip and either deal with less feedback or the tire just works really well even if the specs would not suggest so.

-----------------

For a car I drive mostly for my own fun out in the canyons, etc....I want a tire with the ultimate feedback as the speeds capable on the top tires are so high they are not always safe to push to the edge or near it on public roads. I would rather have a tire and wheel combo with a bit less grip than one with more grip but less overall control of that grip.

-----------

General but good rule of thumb, a little stretch is a good thing, to much stretch is not a good thing, too much sidewall flex is not a good thing but a well supported sidewall always is.

Another one to consider, is the mod for the fun of actually driving the car and making it better or making it "look better", I personally like making it better well before looks though I do like looks, when I know it does not make the care worse.

-----------------

Comp 2 AS seems to be a great choice for those needing to run an all season tire.

From what I have been able to work out the NeoGen is likely the best performing AS tire but I have not found much testing to prove it though I know those that know more than I do and asked and they recommended it to me:)

I have not used the new version of the RT215, the original version was great when it came out but better tires came along and fell behind for quite some time, the new version might be pretty good and some like it quite a bit but one has to verify the experience of those that like or dislike a tire to be sure they are getting the right feedback on it.

I would likely lean towards the 205 instead of the 215 when looking at actual specs which again is always more important than posted generic sizes.

--------------

Some tires have a stiffer sidewall thus can be a bit wider on a given rim size and work quite well but mostly a bit wider than factory wheel width specs show works better.

--------------

Another way to look at tires is to see what the rules are for a given class if into autocross, time trials, etc but also look into who is fastest on what tires in the class. Sometimes the fastest tire is a bit wide for the rim but the driver knows how to exploit the extra grip and either deal with less feedback or the tire just works really well even if the specs would not suggest so.

-----------------

For a car I drive mostly for my own fun out in the canyons, etc....I want a tire with the ultimate feedback as the speeds capable on the top tires are so high they are not always safe to push to the edge or near it on public roads. I would rather have a tire and wheel combo with a bit less grip than one with more grip but less overall control of that grip.

-----------

General but good rule of thumb, a little stretch is a good thing, to much stretch is not a good thing, too much sidewall flex is not a good thing but a well supported sidewall always is.

Another one to consider, is the mod for the fun of actually driving the car and making it better or making it "look better", I personally like making it better well before looks though I do like looks, when I know it does not make the care worse.

-----------------

Comp 2 AS seems to be a great choice for those needing to run an all season tire.

From what I have been able to work out the NeoGen is likely the best performing AS tire but I have not found much testing to prove it though I know those that know more than I do and asked and they recommended it to me:)
Yea. NeoGen does seem to be better. Just not much info on how they are in the rain. Whereas bfg comp 2 a/s seem to be excellent in the rain as well. But idk. Maybe I should do more searching.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The NeoGen has been around for quite some time and compounds get better all the time so the Comp 2 AS might be pretty dang good but the tread pattern sure makes me doubt that..

Comp 2 AS should be better in the rain and likely light years better in snow, I would not buy snow tires I am sure if I had them in snow country but I drove all over in the snow for many years and only used snow tires twice for a short period of time.

I just hope I like the NeoGen enough so I can just have track wheels and tires and the NeoGen so less to haul around in the RV as would sell the Rival S summer only setup or at last try to make myself do it:)

LILIKE16ST

I had those neo gen on my svt focus....they are good tires for the money they handle decent are great in the rain and terrible in the snow. I switched up for a set of those bridge stone blizzak ws80 and was blown away anyone should consider these in the snow. Best to run summer tires 3 seasons give or take and once temps drop consistantly below 35-40 switch to winters for a few months that's what I've begun to do if one can do it that's what's best IMO....all season do everything OK whereas summers do their thing great and dedicated winters do their thing great....never underestimate how important tires are on a vehicle

^^^Yeah, extra rim with extra tire and the same offset seems like a bad idea in general. If you plan to stretch 205's on it then it will probably be fine, but a 225 would be a better fit on a 8" wide rim.

I think we had it switched over to et38 per the e-mails I exchanged with the rep. Anyone have any current shipment updates?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
As I have posted dozens of times one must look at the actual specs, not sidewall size listings, only the wheel diameter is correct, the rest can be quite different one tire to another including of the same brand.

Some 205s are super wide, some 225s not so wide, matching up section width and tread width are what we need to look at when picking tires. For winter tires more sidewall, more flex, more rim protection, great way to go.

For all out handling is is nearly always best to have a slight stretch and has been proven in testing and used a great deal on race cars. An article in Grass Roots Motorsports with Andy Hollis showed the 225 Rival S to be a full second faster on a 45 second road course on 9" wide wheels instead of the normally considered 8" wide wheels, part of why I run 9's on mine.

Sometimes it is best to go the wider tire, autocross rules cause this to happen often as the added grip is enough to offset the less precise feedback and control. Autocrossers often want a taller than stock tire to keep off the rev limiter or prevent having to dip in and out of third gear on some courses as well but to tall can cause a need to have to use 1st, the more shifting the slower the results quite often in such events.

If the sidewall is stiff enough to handle well on narrower wheels as designed by the engineers, etc....., big HP cars need more grip to accelerate......I just recommended the 225 RS-3 on 8" wheels for one particular car setup, use, etc though I generally recommend 205's.

We also want to look at tire weight because a pound or two saved there is a big performance improvement for the money.

It is almost always best to pick the lowest weight wheel and tire package one can afford as well since unsprung rotational weight has a major impact on all aspects of performance, ride, wear and tare on the chassis, and smaller diameter wheels is where to save the weight and money on wheels and tires both nearly always.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
As I have posted dozens of times one must look at the actual specs, not sidewall size listings, only the wheel diameter is correct, the rest can be quite different one tire to another including of the same brand.

Some 205s are super wide, some 225s not so wide, matching up section width and tread width are what we need to look at when picking tires. For winter tires more sidewall, more flex, more rim protection, great way to go.

For all out handling is is nearly always best to have a slight stretch and has been proven in testing and used a great deal on race cars. An article in Grass Roots Motorsports with Andy Hollis showed the 225 Rival S to be a full second faster on a 45 second road course on 9" wide wheels instead of the normally considered 8" wide wheels, part of why I run 9's on mine.

Sometimes it is best to go the wider tire, autocross rules cause this to happen often as the added grip is enough to offset the less precise feedback and control. Autocrossers often want a taller than stock tire to keep off the rev limiter or prevent having to dip in and out of third gear on some courses as well but to tall can cause a need to have to use 1st, the more shifting the slower the results quite often in such events.

If the sidewall is stiff enough to handle well on narrower wheels as designed by the engineers, etc....., big HP cars need more grip to accelerate......I just recommended the 225 RS-3 on 8" wheels for one particular car setup, use, etc though I generally recommend 205's.

We also want to look at tire weight because a pound or two saved there is a big performance improvement for the money.

It is almost always best to pick the lowest weight wheel and tire package one can afford as well since unsprung rotational weight has a major impact on all aspects of performance, ride, wear and tare on the chassis, and smaller diameter wheels is where to save the weight and money on wheels and tires both nearly always.

I think most of us get that, but in general a 205 is stretched on a 8" rim and a 225 is not. I get that every tire is different, but in general a 205 < 225 < 245. In general a 205 is just not a good fit on a 8" rim at all, maybe an odd one will but most will not.

Regardless, a stock offset with a wider rim is probably not a good idea. Moving to a 38 - 40mm offset is a good idea given the clearance.