Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How did you start tuning?

OP
T
Thread Starter #21
I have not changed the Cobb tune at all. For the obvious reason that I don't know why it does what it does 99.9% of the time haha. It'd be like sighting in a gun without putting a target up. I'm pretty much just going to reset my train of thought and disregard this log because I ran in sport mode. With ESC off, and sources logged, there should be more clarity as to why it's closing the throttle.

-Travis

OP
T
Thread Starter #22
I relogged on a better road with ESC off. Here's the results.

http://datazap.me/u/timebomb572/throttle-closure-esc?log=0&data=3-5-6-7-16

ST193_V0 by TJMihm, on Flickr

The ETC Source is in Torque Control at the throttle closure, and there appears to be no other sources that are attempting to close throttle other than that LSPI Torque source. Any suggestions as to where to go first? Have you heard any better explanation from Cobb about what the VCT is targeting when it goes into Mode 5 on the log even though it's not supposed to be using Optimum Power mode?

-Travis

I just wanted to stick my head in here and say that so far this is a brilliant thread. I have some past experience with aftermarket tuning [old UNIchip piggyback, and currently Megasquirt 3 in my turbo Miata], but not with the Cobb, so I look forward to learning a new platform. I just ordered my Accessport and then will DL the Accesstuner Race software, and look forward to learning about this FiST ECU and how it operates.

I will say that sitting down and trying to wrap your head around all the various maps and algorithms is very important to envision the big picture of the strategy. Basic stuff like the Megasquirt can even be daunting to remember which correction tables affect what and when. Datalogging and observation are super important. Hopefully I can add something more useful in the future.

Cheers,
Ryan

koozy

3000 Post Club
I just wanted to stick my head in here and say that so far this is a brilliant thread. I have some past experience with aftermarket tuning [old UNIchip piggyback, and currently Megasquirt 3 in my turbo Miata], but not with the Cobb, so I look forward to learning a new platform. I just ordered my Accessport and then will DL the Accesstuner Race software, and look forward to learning about this FiST ECU and how it operates.

I will say that sitting down and trying to wrap your head around all the various maps and algorithms is very important to envision the big picture of the strategy. Basic stuff like the Megasquirt can even be daunting to remember which correction tables affect what and when. Datalogging and observation are super important. Hopefully I can add something more useful in the future.

Cheers,
Ryan
Welcome. Are you Ryephile on the Abarth forums who also had a Lotus?

koozy

3000 Post Club
Awesome, welcome to the darkside, lol. I'm kinda surprised you picked up a FiST, I recall you being in different about the FiST and kind of considered it bland IIRC when it first came out and heavily favored the Abarth. Do you still have the Abarth?

Awesome, welcome to the darkside, lol. I'm kinda surprised you picked up a FiST, I recall you being in different about the FiST and kind of considered it bland IIRC when it first came out and heavily favored the Abarth. Do you still have the Abarth?
If it's a fun car, I want one no matter what badge is on it. LOL

Admittedly I was pretty stoked about getting the MINI JCW, so I didn't give the FiST a fair shake the first time I drove it. Of the trio, the Abarth and FiST are the raw ones [for different reasons] and the JCW is the Gentleman's Hot-Rod. I don't have the Abarth anymore, unfortunately. That was a fun car for what it was, and the community made it a great experience. It seems like the ST community is really great too, which makes it icing on the cake. :)

OP
T
Thread Starter #28
I'm hoping this weekend I can make some ground up on the tune and at least figure out why/where in the tables it's closing throttle. I've been busy at work and the weather has been nice out in SW MI so I've been doing more shooting and playing with the remote controlled rock crawler than looking at a laptop haha.

I will have an update Saturday on what I find. Last I looked I was about certain that I was having LSPI tables kick in and hitting their torque limit. Gonna upload a tune that bumps those up just a tad to test my theory and see what happens... Not a huge fan of trial and error though, so if anybody wants to take a look at my tune/log just PM me or something. I'll see it faster haha.

-Travis

I look forward to seeing what you can find.

In other great news, I finally got my ATR! Time to bury my face in the screen and soak it all in.

OP
T
Thread Starter #30
It's taken me a good amount of time just to get used to which tables are where in the ATR software haha. I still forget which folder has which ones, all the time.

I got back to my shop today to start cleaning my car and looking at the last few logs, and realized my laptop is AT HOME. ... So, tomorrow. Tomorrow I will have some semblance of an answer for the throttle closure. I hope.

-Travis

OP
T
Thread Starter #31
No progress was made this weekend. Due to a series of unfortunate events, a puppy dog put a scratch in the Fiesta's door and I adopted a snake. Tuning was put on hold.

I didn't kill the dog OR the snake yet, though, so that's always good.

-Travis