Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Service manuals?

What options are available for a service manual? I bought the Helm manual, but it's useless for me because I can't put it on my tablet. For that price I can pay for the Ford subscription a few times and still come out ahead, but I'd rather have something I can check whenever I need.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Rod... Where did you buy yours from again? I super
Def have to buy one now...

Also.. Rod PM me and tell me how fast your golf
r is.. I experienced one at the track last week

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Rod... Where did you buy yours from again? I super
Def have to buy one now...

Also.. Rod PM me and tell me how fast your golf
r is.. I experienced one at the track last week
The Link above at Helm Inc.
as for the Golf its stock yet and never had that one on a big track only a lil cone crushing as per its primary driver .. lol But its plenty fun in a great fit and finish package ;)

OP
G
Thread Starter #6
I bought the Helm manual, but since it requires the CD in the drive I can't use it on a tablet I can bring into the garage.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I was just wondering... I met a golf R driver that seemed like he knew almost nothing about cars or his car. Said it had an "APR stage1". And it had a FMIC, intake, 93oct tune. But it had a stock DP because he said it had to be cut out to replace it.

Anyway.... It was DSG and went 12.0 EVERY SINGLE RUN. EVERY SINGLE TIME. My buddies Fost that makes 370whp went a fastest of 13.3@111 and best mph of 114mph at 14.4. So to watch a "almost stock" golf R go 12.0-12.0-12.0-12.0 all night, was very impressive. I told the guy to put 1 gal of race gas in it and it would go 11.9 and he said, "nahhh, I want to do it on pump gas".

He couldn't even tell me what the stock turbo was, I heard they are now TD04's. But I read something that made me question that...

I was just wondering... I met a golf R driver that seemed like he knew almost nothing about cars or his car. Said it had an "APR stage1". And it had a FMIC, intake, 93oct tune. But it had a stock DP because he said it had to be cut out to replace it.

Anyway.... It was DSG and went 12.0 EVERY SINGLE RUN. EVERY SINGLE TIME. My buddies Fost that makes 370whp went a fastest of 13.3@111 and best mph of 114mph at 14.4. So to watch a "almost stock" golf R go 12.0-12.0-12.0-12.0 all night, was very impressive. I told the guy to put 1 gal of race gas in it and it would go 11.9 and he said, "nahhh, I want to do it on pump gas".

He couldn't even tell me what the stock turbo was, I heard they are now TD04's. But I read something that made me question that...
From what I've seen, I'm super impressed with the Golf R. I think that is going to be my next car. Minimal mods breaking into the 11s... Pretty crazy. I also like the luxury factor when compared to something like a Focus RS.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club

Those DSG trans are impressive

From what I've seen, I'm super impressed with the Golf R. I think that is going to be my next car. Minimal mods breaking into the 11s... Pretty crazy. I also like the luxury factor when compared to something like a Focus RS.
I dunno man, I feel like the RS is going to still be the better driver's car and from what I've read it has the superior AWD system (if that matters to you). Yeah, the VW is going to have more of that "almost an Audi" feel, but they are also pretty notorious for their later in life issues when the warranty is long gone. I never had a GTI or any of the R's, but I did have a regular ol' Golf back in the day and had more warranty repairs on that thing than any other car I've ever owned and I only had it for like a year. It was a 2004 model so things may have improved since then, but it definitely made me nervous to ever buy another VW.

OP
G
Thread Starter #12
If you don't have wifi for a laptop get an air card
It's not a lack of internet, it's that they require you to leave the cd in the drive all the time. My laptop doesn't have a CD drive and hauling around an external drive is a pain in the butt. I have a tablet I can load stuff on, but it also doesn't have a CD drive.

They've made a manual that cannot easily be accessed while working on a car and it looks like there aren't any alternatives.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Depends on what something thinks "better" is in an AWD system. I've never liked VW. But I've always championed there AWD system because "back in the day", when the evos and STi's were all vomiting there $40K drivelines up all over the track on 12.80 cars, companies like APR had VR6 swapped turbo AWD bugs that ran high 10's with no driveline failures. One article I read, made it a point to mention they launched the car at the drag strip 52 times that day and it never missed a beat with a 6-speed manual. At the sametime, John Shepard was going really fast in a DSM, but changed his transfer case after every other run, and changed his trans every track event ( dsm/evo, same crap at that race level ).

Kinda showed me that while VW was incapable of building an AWD car that had power, it def had a stout awd system.

A personal friend of mine had a twin turbo 2.7L V6 S4 and it actually pulled the front wheels off the ground one night on the street. They sold it because the turbo's were too small to live and it was crazy expensive to repair/replace them. Again... Crappy engine stuff, but awesome AWD. Seems like maybe they got there heads out of there butts and built a motor that can really make some power now though. And the DSG is... Well... Its the best in its class by..... INFINITE.

The RS ??... Well... Its yet to be seen, but I worried about the reliability of its fancy pants techno super club GSK AWD setup. Being "better" based on your performance with stock parts on stock tires with a stock clutch is one thing, but think it will be able to go 10.80 52 times in a day at the drag strip without failing ?

My worries were compounded when I read in Spain they were over heating the rear diff on the focus RS.

I'm sorry.... Maybe I expect too much. My "duty cycle" expectation is "100% DC". Essp on a bone stock car. "Ohhhh, you drifted it too much". Wait...? I'm sorry, wasn't it in DRIFT MODE !!!? When its in "cruise control" mode, is it going to over heat the motor on the free way?

Anyway... Blown away by the Golf R if its true that car goes 12.0 with a damn filter, cooler, and a 93tune. You guys realize that means it would go 11.50 on better tires and a custom E30-E50 tune on a cold night... With a cat and stock down pipe... Wow.... Way to make me eat all the bad things I've said about you VW !!

Depends on what something thinks "better" is in an AWD system. I've never liked VW. But I've always championed there AWD system because "back in the day", when the evos and STi's were all vomiting there $40K drivelines up all over the track on 12.80 cars, companies like APR had VR6 swapped turbo AWD bugs that ran high 10's with no driveline failures. One article I read, made it a point to mention they launched the car at the drag strip 52 times that day and it never missed a beat with a 6-speed manual. At the sametime, John Shepard was going really fast in a DSM, but changed his transfer case after every other run, and changed his trans every track event ( dsm/evo, same crap at that race level ).

Kinda showed me that while VW was incapable of building an AWD car that had power, it def had a stout awd system.

A personal friend of mine had a twin turbo 2.7L V6 S4 and it actually pulled the front wheels off the ground one night on the street. They sold it because the turbo's were too small to live and it was crazy expensive to repair/replace them. Again... Crappy engine stuff, but awesome AWD. Seems like maybe they got there heads out of there butts and built a motor that can really make some power now though. And the DSG is... Well... Its the best in its class by..... INFINITE.

The RS ??... Well... Its yet to be seen, but I worried about the reliability of its fancy pants techno super club GSK AWD setup. Being "better" based on your performance with stock parts on stock tires with a stock clutch is one thing, but think it will be able to go 10.80 52 times in a day at the drag strip without failing ?

My worries were compounded when I read in Spain they were over heating the rear diff on the focus RS.

I'm sorry.... Maybe I expect too much. My "duty cycle" expectation is "100% DC". Essp on a bone stock car. "Ohhhh, you drifted it too much". Wait...? I'm sorry, wasn't it in DRIFT MODE !!!? When its in "cruise control" mode, is it going to over heat the motor on the free way?

Anyway... Blown away by the Golf R if its true that car goes 12.0 with a damn filter, cooler, and a 93tune. You guys realize that means it would go 11.50 on better tires and a custom E30-E50 tune on a cold night... With a cat and stock down pipe... Wow.... Way to make me eat all the bad things I've said about you VW !!
Haha, you win :D. Might have to give the R another look when/if the time comes, especially now that you can get it in manual. I know the DSG is awesome and faster, but I love me my manuals and I simply don't get paid to race so that .3-.5 seconds isn't the end of the world :).

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My mom's dry clutch dsg in her fiesta sFe makes me wish we had a dsg option. But the ford DSG is the worst POS trans ford has ever produced. And just like ford.... They completely refuse to take responsibility for their mistake. No different than there fost engines I guess.

Anyway, her fiesta loves to be driven semi-aggressive. It bangs off gears and revs the motor, lol. They car is made by the steering and the trans in that car. She is lucky though, most fiesta/focus owners have mad issues with them. Most people also hate them because they are not very smooth. "Not Smooth", "sporty" what's the difference, lol.

If ford made a DSG wet clutch that could handle power, I DEF GET ONE. From my jeeps to my diesel truck to street bikes to cars, I have owned nothing but manual trans cars. And its been fun. But my ole lexus LS400 sure it nice to relax in. Dsg is the best of all worlds. I very much do get how a car like the fiesta def should be manual for maximum driver involvement, where the stop watch isn't as important as "smiles per gallon". And I bought the fist over the foct because the fiesta was a lunatic vs the focus felt like a fast cough... So... Man it would be hard to pick... Either way I'd regret either choice, lol

I've never been a VW fan, but the R seems like an awesome car. The fact that the RS's rear diff already overheats in stock form is worrisome to say the least. When info about the RS first came out, I thought it was going to be the ultimate tunner car. Now, I wouldn't risk modding it to have it spit out EXPENSIVE drivetrain parts. I've already been there with Subaru back in 04-06. To this day, I will never own another Subaru again and I HATE the brand because of it. Obviously this is just speculation at this point, time will tell...

Sekred

1000 Post Club
My wife has a 2012 Focus with the twin clutch trans (DSG), the clutches have already been replaced once under warranty. My wifes car was shuddering because of a transmission leak contaminating the clutch plates, a common problem. Ford Australia has extended the warranty from 3 to 5 years because of the transmission problems.
Just out of interest a diesel engine Focus is available over here and in Europe too. I was told by a Ford Tech that it has a wet clutch DSG and does not suffer the same problems as the dry clutch does. He went on to say that he had replaced the clutches in some vehicle 2 or 3 times under warranty. The slower you drive like in heavy traffic the more the clutches slip and the hotter they get.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My wife has a 2012 Focus with the twin clutch trans (DSG), the clutches have already been replaced once under warranty. My wifes car was shuddering because of a transmission leak contaminating the clutch plates, a common problem. Ford Australia has extended the warranty from 3 to 5 years because of the transmission problems.
Just out of interest a diesel engine Focus is available over here and in Europe too. I was told by a Ford Tech that it has a wet clutch DSG and does not suffer the same problems as the dry clutch does. He went on to say that he had replaced the clutches in some vehicle 2 or 3 times under warranty. The slower you drive like in heavy traffic the more the clutches slip and the hotter they get.
Yep. I agree with everything he said.
But we don't get the oil burner here,
Because we are poo-nanners.

I didn't know
About the wet clutch dsg

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I just ordered the CD manual at the begining of the thread.... rod's old posts sold me.

twolf

It's not a lack of internet, it's that they require you to leave the cd in the drive all the time. My laptop doesn't have a CD drive and hauling around an external drive is a pain in the butt. I have a tablet I can load stuff on, but it also doesn't have a CD drive.

They've made a manual that cannot easily be accessed while working on a car and it looks like there aren't any alternatives.
You should be able to download a program which emulates a CD drive and then clone the ISO and mount it virtually.

Ford Community Posts