Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone want guess on what a future big time fist issue will be?

rexdriver85

Alrighty. In for this one. Glad I stopped by the forum today. Let's keep this well documented guys.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23

Lets take an "in-depth" look at direct injection...

"Rest Neo... The answers are coming"

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Could this have anything to do with high heat and high cylinder pressures that are inherent to tiny turbos? Granted Ford should take that kind of thing into account. But that could be why they did an ECU adjustment.

On the stock turbo I used to have issues with my coolant temps while going over passes. At one time my coolant temps were so high it took the car into limp mode. The readout from the AP was 260+. The mods on the car at that time were Cobb RMM, Boomba BPV Spacer, and Mountune e30 tune. I had taken the car into Ford at one point because the car was leaking oil. They replaced the inlet pipe on the intake stating it was causing the issues. I ended up getting under the car and looking at it after this and I realized that the oil was coming out of the Boomba BPV spacer. Removed the Boomba BPV spacer and didn't have an issue with oil leaking, but my coolant temps would still skyrocket on passes.

Fast forward to now and I am no longer experiencing these issues. When the issue went away I did several things, replaced the intercooler with the DHM Race Intercooler(opened up the honey comb on front of the car allowing more air to pass), installed the DHM GTX450r kit, and got tuned by DHM. There are more mods on the car now, but this was the point I noticed the car was no longer overheating.

1) The front grill is open allowing more air to pass to the intercooler and radiator
2) Charge temps are way down due to more efficient turbo and intercooler setup.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Could this have anything to do with high heat and high cylinder pressures that are inherent to tiny turbos? Granted Ford should take that kind of thing into account. But that could be why they did an ECU adjustment.
I'm no expert by any means. I wouldn't think this would be the issue is most scenarios show that it's been scape that has the issues and typically these vehicles are not pushed nearly as hard as our FiSTs and stock boost as far as I know typically only sees19psi under super cool conditions while flooring it. Most people that own these vehicles drive them like appliances. Point A to B. Not as enthusiastically as we drive our FiSTs. Just what I'm thinking.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm no expert by any means. I wouldn't think this would be the issue is most scenarios show that it's been scape that has the issues and typically these vehicles are not pushed nearly as hard as our FiSTs and stock boost as far as I know typically only sees19psi under super cool conditions while flooring it. Most people that own these vehicles drive them like appliances. Point A to B. Not as enthusiastically as we drive our FiSTs. Just what I'm thinking.
While they are primarily utilitarian vehicles, Ford has stated that localized heat is one of the gremlins... In my head that means insufficient cooling (coolant and oil passages).

Hey, for all we know, the heads weren't torqued properly on the engines that have seen this issue.

It's also interesting to me that on both heads Sour has, it's cracked between cyl 1 and 2. Because cyl 1 is usually the worst and cyl 2 is usually the best.

twolf

Aaaaand threads like this are why we love SS. Such an asset to the community.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
While they are primarily utilitarian vehicles, Ford has stated that localized heat is one of the gremlins... In my head that means insufficient cooling (coolant and oil passages).

Hey, for all we know, the heads weren't torqued properly on the engines that have seen this issue.

It's also interesting to me that on both heads Sour has, it's cracked between cyl 1 and 2. Because cyl 1 is usually the worst and cyl 2 is usually the best.
All I was trying to say is that it's seems to be primarily isolated to the 1.6 ecoboost in the escape. Our FiSTs have been out for 2 years already and as far as I know, Sourskittle is the only FiST on the forum that we know of with this issue (oil leaking). I just figured of it was a heat issue, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that our motors should run hotter than the Escapes, especially since
We mod our cars an they typically see higher boost for prolonged periods in comparison to the Escapes. Again just my train of thought. Subscribed.

If I'm reading that head code right, it looks like your Fist's head was cast on Jun 25 2013, which is after the Escape build recall (to June 3 2013).

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
If I'm reading that head code right, it looks like your Fist's head was cast on Jun 25 2013, which is after the Escape build recall (to June 3 2013).
I bought the car in Nov off a dealer lot, so June sounds right.

The fact is... No cylinder head should just crack. Its clearly a cooling issue that is designed into the head. The fact it did it on an old lady on her way to bingo and in my car both in the exact way shows its a built in issue.

My best guess is that somehow the pressure difference is being equalized in that one spot on the head causing the coolant to sit still and over heat instead of flowing.

I already have some ideas for my 3rd cylinder head purchase to help with this issue.

Waterfan

SS 4 PREZ

(seriously, if there's such a thing as "FiST MVP" Sourskittle is a lock)

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-ford-escape-recalled-for-fire-risks.html

Unbelievable.

"The affected vehicles may experience localized overheating of the engine cylinder head which may cause cracks that could allow oil to leak," said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "Leaking engine oil may come into contact with a hot engine surface potentially resulting in an engine compartment fire."
ummm unreal.. [unbelieveable]