Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone want guess on what a future big time fist issue will be?

JasonHaven

So how many FiST owners have a cracked cylinder head? Is this a common problem, or a 1 out of 10,000 sort of thing?

This reminds me of the Honda civic fiasco. Poorly manufactured engine blocks were cracking, leaking oil to the point were a piston would go thru the side. there solution was to extent the warranty on
all the civics with the known problem to 100k. Of course they would give you a new shortblock but reuse everything esle.

Another piece of crap design was the RX8 I purchased. Lifetime warranty on those motors. Seems they didn't make it much past 80k without needing a replacement. I traded it in before that.

Now to the present and I have to worry about another freaking poorly designed engine block. I will definitely keep my eye on this as all the cars on the road start getting up on mileage including mine.

V_2

Think this thread has convinced me to not wrap my manifold. Just not worth the risk, imo.

I think this thread has convinced me to check that part of my engine daily I'm at 90,250 kilometers.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
This worries me if you have a wrapped manifold. Oil+heat wrap+heat=fire? :O
The escapes didn't have manifold heat wrap. Their heads cracked. Not only did their heads crack; but their cars burnt to the ground.... My car just smoked for 2 weeks while I was still driving it trying to find the leak, lol.

Being as I was going 135-140mph when the smoke started, if that didn't cause a fire, but 36 escapes burnt to the ground going slow with no heat wrap, then I think that's a sign the heat wrap could have saved the car. And the fact the escapes had no heat wrap and cracked the head while driving to bingo and burnt to the ground tells me the wrap wasn't the cause on those engines, why would it be he cause on ours ?

That's just me... I'm sure other points could be made in the other direction as well. The bottom line is they are bad cylinder heads. Ford admitted it ( even if they didn't fix it ), so to put the blame on just about anything else other than poor design is sort of an excuse for ford. Wonder if the focus guys are still making excuses for ford as to why their pistons coming apart on stock cars...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The escapes didn't have manifold heat wrap. Their heads cracked. Not only did their heads crack; but their cars burnt to the ground.... My car just smoked for 2 weeks while I was still driving it trying to find the leak, lol.

Being as I was going 135-140mph when the smoke started, if that didn't cause a fire, but 36 escapes burnt to the ground going slow with no heat wrap, then I think that's a sign the heat wrap could have saved the car. And the fact the escapes had no heat wrap and cracked the head while driving to bingo and burnt to the ground tells me the wrap wasn't the cause on those engines, why would it be he cause on ours ?

That's just me... I'm sure other points could be made in the other direction as well. The bottom line is they are bad cylinder heads. Ford admitted it ( even if they didn't fix it ), so to put the blame on just about anything else other than poor design is sort of an excuse for ford. Wonder if the focus guys are still making excuses for ford as to why their pistons coming apart on stock cars...
I hear ya I was just bringing up a valid point. I'm still keeping my manifold wrapped because if that bitch is gonna burn, let it burn. Haha

The escapes also supposedly had bad fuel lines and malfunctioning cooling system software. The cracked cylinder heads are definetly something to keep an eye on.

Wow.. glad you found this, SS.. I think the way the exhaust manifold/turbo is at the back of block with no way for the hot air to escape (pun) caused excess heat build up making it crack.. I'm mounting my WRC heat extractors soon now that the temps are rising here in El Paso.. I've been thinking of mounting some 5" fans behind the extractors to keep pulling hot air out long after car has been shut down, use something like a turbo timer to run them because of the heat here.. reading/seeing this thread just confirms that I will do this..

On another note, the Cyborg hit 32psi with cool air at sea level blowing my intake manifold up!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Wow.. glad you found this, SS.. I think the way the exhaust manifold/turbo is at the back of block with no way for the hot air to escape (pun) caused excess heat build up making it crack.. I'm mounting my WRC heat extractors soon now that the temps are rising here in El Paso.. I've been thinking of mounting some 5" fans behind the extractors to keep pulling hot air out long after car has been shut down, use something like a turbo timer to run them because of the heat here.. reading/seeing this thread just confirms that I will do this..

On another note, the Cyborg hit 32psi with cool air at sea level blowing my intake manifold up!
Do you have an upgraded TMAP?

Ah, ok. Well, at least it was the manifold vs lifting the head, or bending a rod. That's a lot of boost to push on the stock manifold and stock turbo frame.
Adam has my car tuned perfectly, I just think this last trip down (4700ft elevation) to see the folks (at sea level) and the cool (48*) evening just let the engine push more when I ran against a 370 Nismo.. I have an extra 1.6 ecoboost engine that I have apart getting the darton sleeves done soon to it so I have a manifold to put on it just haven't yet...

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Adam has my car tuned perfectly, I just think this last trip down (4700ft elevation) to see the folks (at sea level) and the cool (48*) evening just let the engine push more when I ran against a 370 Nismo.. I have an extra 1.6 ecoboost engine that I have apart getting the darton sleeves done soon to it so I have a manifold to put on it just haven't yet...
So... Leaves me curious as to your numbers.

So... Leaves me curious as to your numbers.
I was stuck at the 240whp for a while, seemed perfect for what I wanted. But after changing to the 2JR intake and fixing the boost reference to the EWG it's more powerful for sure.. I've been back and forth out of the country so I haven't had the chance to dyno it.. I have a lot more things to do

You weren't logging that were you Dusty?
No, I wish I did though, you'd see 32psi then drop to 11psi.. it won't go over 11-ish.. so now I drive it slow, keep the boost in the -0.xx to keep it good until I change it out...

Dang Dusty !! You
Been busy !! Lol.
Yeah, in between traveling everywhere though...

I spoke with the techs at Darton and they seem to think that the sleeves for the Honda B16 would work, then using the pistons and rods for the 2.7 ecoboost to keep the DI piston design, offset grind the crank, get the piston tops thermal coated and sides coated for durability..

DHM did a stroker 2.0 ecoboost using the crank from the 2.3 ecoboost and making an upper cylinder girdle reinforce the deck; the Darton sleeves do same but hold more boost because I am determined to compound boost mine...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #60
PS my next cylinder head shipped today :)

I could have gotten a new one from ford for $650, but it would have to be taken to the machine shop to shim the buckets ( along with 16x $2.50 shim buckets ). So it was looking like $850 for a bolt on solution, not counting head gasket and head bolts times 10x and a new timing belt tensioner ( may as well do it ). $100 in special tools I already owe. And a day of labor...

Anyway... There will be bracing... I will post pics. The bracing will not be cnc machined dyno numbers proven type bracing and it maybe in vein, but.... This isn't the first ford part I've have to re-engineer because they were too busy building F150's to do simple things right the first time..