Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone want guess on what a future big time fist issue will be?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
So... My cylinder head started leaking oil and I take full responsibility for that. The oil leaks on the back side of the engine above the exhaust manifold.

Taking responsibility, I didn't bash ford or question them...

So... I had another donor engine ready to go from a salvage yard. Took the head off and spent a lot of time cleaning it up as the head came from an escape that was subject to an un-known engine fire issue.

So today, I'm out mocking up my next turbo setup ( which is why I bought the motor to begin with ), and I look up at the area on the escape head that my fiesta ST is cracked and find this...

So... Two heads. Cracked in the same spot. One beaten hard all its life, the other from a cushie escape life.

What caused the engine fire? Yea.... I think I know too. But not like engine fires are a threat to the safety of people in the car or anything.... Ford ford ford...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
So.... Looks like maybe we should be contacting our insurance companies and making sure in the event of an engine/car fire, we will be fully covered and the car be COMPLETELY paid off in full.

My car has 38k miles on it btw

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-ford-escape-recalled-for-fire-risks.html

Unbelievable.

"The affected vehicles may experience localized overheating of the engine cylinder head which may cause cracks that could allow oil to leak," said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "Leaking engine oil may come into contact with a hot engine surface potentially resulting in an engine compartment fire."

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Well... Its not like our motors commonly run hot or anything, lmao.

Even better ? The fix ford came up with to stop the escapes from burning to the ground? A software change and shielding to reroute the oil off the turbo. Lmao.... So.... If your head cracks, we don't care, we just want the oil to run off the motor so you can fix it instead of burning to the ground, lol.

Damn, this is a bummer. Hopefully this will be grounds for a leg to stand on in case this continues to happen on more Fiestas.

Siestarider

I wonder if there is a method of alerting all Forum members of this potential failure mode? Thanks to SS for pointing out the location to inspect.

38000 miles or not, I would get a letter off to Ford asking for a new head, especially since you have 2 of them.

Those of us with exhaust heat wrap have a little more incentive to buy a fire extinguisher and keep it handy. And check heat wrap for oil markings every time the hood is up.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Yea this is a bit concerning...thanks SS. What bothers me is that even though the cast date of the 2 heads are a year apart, that's a whole lot of heads that might suffer from the same failure point, maybe it was a manufacturing defect?

twolf

Quick question, how do you take responsibility for a crack in the head?
He said earlier that he was dumping 5 250cc nozzles worth of meth into a not-fully-warm engine from 20-135mph, so that is why he's not blaming anyone.