Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J intercooler review

It's not that a DP "does nothing" IMO; it just doesn't do enough of something for many people to justify cost and emissions hassle. I'm in this demographic. The gains are very slight at best and so is the spool benefit. I would recommend against running a tune not made for the hardware specified. Tunes have many tables and values to modify and every action begets a reaction. A custom tune or a flash tune from someone like Stratified (They charge $50) would likely be perfect for tackling this issue or you can run the OTS Stage 3 and burn up your cat and modify your crash bar for no reason. It is your car to do with as you please. Though we live in a world where people are constantly basically giving their stock downpipes away. If you ever do burn up the cat in yours, you could probably find someone else's pretty cheap. The crash bar is another story. Don't modify something if you have no clue why you're modifying it.

It's not that a DP "does nothing" IMO; it just doesn't do enough of something for many people to justify cost and emissions hassle. I'm in this demographic. The gains are very slight at best and so is the spool benefit. I would recommend against running a tune not made for the hardware specified. Tunes have many tables and values to modify and every action begets a reaction. A custom tune or a flash tune from someone like Stratified (They charge $50) would likely be perfect for tackling this issue or you can run the OTS Stage 3 and burn up your cat and modify your crash bar for no reason. It is your car to do with as you please. Though we live in a world where people are constantly basically giving their stock downpipes away. If you ever do burn up the cat in yours, you could probably find someone else's pretty cheap. The crash bar is another story. Don't modify something if you have no clue why you're modifying it.
I appreciate the input, I do have a "clue" as an intercooler transfers heat from air padsing through it, not around it, or just "being". My Abarth had twin IC like many of the VAG platforms...... also known as the Volkswagen Audi Group.

Go ahead and take some ABS plastic and completely cover the absolute "front" of your bumper cover.......you wont because direct airflow wont happen. Imagina A Subaru with a Top mount Ic, with no hood scoop.
...sitting on top of the valve covers......yeah wouldnt make much sense......

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #105
I understand completely, my trimming would not involve the top half of the crossbar, wich you are correct is behind the solid part of honeycomb. I am speaking of the lower part....
Oh sorry! I removed my lower grill. It just pulls out. Then I used my dremel to cut the vertical bars out. This is irreversible so just know if you do it you cannot go back

AzNightmare

Well this goes back to the other thread where a few of us were trying to figure out how did the upper portion of the 2JR IC receive airflow when it was blocked by the bumper and crash beam. It was never answered. Rather though, we got data that this IC was much better than oem as it was thoroughly tested on a track. So simply put, it probably doesn't get effective airflow. But due to the sheer size of the IC, I guess it doesn't matter in a sense that you're still getting much better cooling than oem IC.

For the DHM race IC, do they include an aftermarket grill that's opened up at the lower portion of it? The oem grill is covered, rendering the top portion of it useless even with the modified crash bar.

Anything within this red region will be blocked by the oem grill, because the grill doesn't actually vent through (comapre with oem grill below).

madfiesta, is this your plan?

Hacking the bumper AND crash beam (at the dotted line) to enable more exposure to the IC? Combination of dangerous, ballsy, and crazy. Your car, your rules. I look forward to seeing your finished project though. [thumb]

twolf

Whoops [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION], my bad. Didn't realize it was any different.

@madfiesta I still don't think you will see any appreciable difference by cutting the stock crash bar. You'd probably have a better outcome by spending an equal amount of time making some ducting to guide air to the IC more efficiently.

Well this goes back to the other thread where a few of us were trying to figure out how did the upper portion of the 2JR IC receive airflow when it was blocked by the bumper and crash beam. It was never answered. Rather though, we got data that this IC was much better than oem as it was thoroughly tested on a track. So simply put, it probably doesn't get effective airflow. But due to the sheer size of the IC, I guess it doesn't matter in a sense that you're still getting much better cooling than oem IC.

For the DHM race IC, do they include an aftermarket grill that's opened up at the lower portion of it? The oem grill is covered, rendering the top portion of it useless even with the modified crash bar.

Anything within this red region will be blocked by the oem grill, because the grill doesn't actually vent through (comapre with oem grill below).

madfiesta, is this your plan?

Hacking the bumper AND crash beam (at the dotted line) to enable more exposure to the IC? Combination of dangerous, ballsy, and crazy. Your car, your rules. I look forward to seeing your finished project though. [thumb]
Yeah that is my plan, trim crash bar and sand and paint black. I, know I know trimming crash bar makes it weaker from a crash standpoint, But I am not removing it and I know it meets government crash standadrds. No hate on DHM but I doubt they have NHTSA crash rating for their bar. And yea it is a work of art. But still maybe no stronger then me just using the OEM and trimming.

Whoops [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION], my bad. Didn't realize it was any different.

@madfiesta I still don't think you will see any appreciable difference by cutting the stock crash bar. You'd probably have a better outcome by spending an equal amount of time making some ducting to guide air to the IC more efficiently.
You cant "guide" air to the top if the 2j IC it literally sits behind the crash bar maybe 1/4 inch space between the crashbar and top 2" of IC

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #111
Yeah that is my plan, trim crash bar and sand and paint black. I, know I know trimming crash bar makes it weaker from a crash standpoint, But I am not removing it and I know it meets government crash standadrds. No hate on DHM but I doubt they have NHTSA crash rating for their bar. And yea it is a work of art. But still maybe no stronger then me just using the OEM and trimming.
Can't wait to see if works out or turns out horrible.. Guess you will earn the name "mad fiesta" haha

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Here we go again... Do some research. All of the info can be found here in the forum instead of you talking out the side of your neck.

twolf

You cant "guide" air to the top if the 2j IC it literally sits behind the crash bar maybe 1/4 inch space between the crashbar and top 2" of IC
Why do you keep talking to me like I don't know what it looks like? I live right down the street from their shop. I am well aware of what it looks like. I wasn't talking about guiding air to the top of the IC. I was talking about preventing any air from going around the IC, etc.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Here we go again... Do some research. All of the info can be found here in the forum instead of you talking out the side of your neck.
its not like i have over a year experience working at a OEM crash test lab and a degree that focused on chassis building or welding certs lol Let alone have had 2 customers with this bar crash and it performed like a crash bar should and absorb energy. Its ok i dont want customers that dont believe in the experience we bring to the table.

Russ

its not like i have over a year experience working at a OEM crash test lab and a degree that focused on chassis building or welding certs lol Let alone have had 2 customers with this bar crash and it performed like a crash bar should and absorb energy. Its ok i dont want customers that dont believe in the experience we bring to the table.

Russ
WOW I was just having conversation and trying to learn, if thats " talking out the side of my neck" then OK. I in no way disparaged DHM product. And nobodys experience was brought into question. And a vendor to say they dont want a customer..... thats classic. This was a 2J-r IC review....
not a DHM commercial. I was looking for input on how to improve flow, and even earlier in this thread stated I would like to eventualy get the DHM crashbar when I have the funds, but Im a customer you dont need. Classy

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
WOW I was just having conversation and trying to learn, if thats " talking out the side of my neck" then OK. I in no way disparaged DHM product. And nobodys experience was brought into question. And a vendor to say they dont want a customer..... thats classic. This was a 2J-r IC review....
not a DHM commercial. I was looking for input on how to improve flow, and even earlier in this thread stated I would like to eventualy get the DHM crashbar when I have the funds, but Im a customer you dont need. Classy
"Talking out the side of your neck" is a colloquialism for speaking on things you don't know about aka ignorance.

You said something ignorant. I called you out. Learn from your mistake and move on.

"Talking out the side of your neck" is a colloquialism for speaking on things you don't know about aka ignorance.

You said something ignorant. I called you out. Learn from your mistake and move on.
You called me out on my ignorance, and my mistake of comparing the performance of an OEM piece to a vendors beautiful solution ( DHM )Sorry fanboy if you extrapulated me knocking them. I was just having an open dialogue on the 2j-r IC and ways to improve its efficiency. Going forward to prevent you from " calling me out on my ignorance" I will run my statements by you. Keep up the great thread moderation and helping others stifle ignorance

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
You called me out on my ignorance, and my mistake of comparing the performance of an OEM piece to a vendors beautiful solution ( DHM )Sorry fanboy if you extrapulated me knocking them. I was just having an open dialogue on the 2j-r IC and ways to improve its efficiency. Going forward to prevent you from " calling me out on my ignorance" I will run my statements by you. Keep up the great thread moderation and helping others stifle ignorance
It is ignorance when the information is available. I'd be more than happy to review your comments if you'd like.

Also, I have no problem with being called a DHM fanboy. I take pride in the passion.

P.S. Why do people get SOOOOO salty when you call them on ignorance? If I say something ignorant, I'd WANT to be called out. How else can you learn and grow?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
For the record, I've been through many different configurations of vendor parts (and tunes) as the community has grown. Because of this experience, and my general worldview I can't recall once where I touted anyone as being the end-all, be-all...which is typically what fanboying is. If 2JRs cooler works, that's awesome... Everything depends on your goals.