Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J intercooler review

V_2

Very sad to see how this is turning out for most of you. Coming from the Nissan world, I have known Joe for a few years now and have seen that he will bust his ass to help out a customer. So to see this thread is pretty uncharacteristic to say the least. Maybe they overextended themselves by entering the Fiesta platform, who knows? My place isn't to speculate...

Not going to try to defend their work, they can do that themselves if they choose to, but I will vouch for past experience that what I have seen has been top notch. One more thing that I will add is email and forums aren't the best method of communication with 2J, I have always had better luck over the phone. Just throwing that out there.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club

I finally took my IC out to have a better look and this is what I found, this is terrible workmanship. It's like they hired junior high students for the welding job. I will be asking for a full refund including my shipping costs but I highly doubt they will give me a refund

twolf

I don't get it.

When 2J buys the cores, doesn't the top plate go all the way to the ends, where they then build the end tanks around it? Maybe [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] would know.

Shouldn't it be welded to the "end plate" for lack of a better word, before it even gets to 2j?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I don't get it.

When 2J buys the cores, doesn't the top plate go all the way to the ends, where they then build the end tanks around it? Maybe [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] would know.

Shouldn't it be welded to the "end plate" for lack of a better word, before it even gets to 2j?
As most have figured out, this is a completely different core than 2JR was using before. Looking at it more, I'm wondering if they're loping rows of a much larger intercooler, then fabing up a top/bottom plate. Or better yet, loping off rows and then sanding and polishing at a tube.

twolf

As most have figured out, this is a completely different core than 2JR was using before. Looking at it more, I'm wondering if they're loping rows of a much larger intercooler, then fabing up a top/bottom plate. Or better yet, loping off rows and then sanding and polishing at a tube.
It doesn't look like a tube to me, and definitely not polished. If it were a tube it would go to the end plate at least. lol. I'd like to see a side shot to see if the fins are attached to the top plate like I assume they should be.

I wonder if it went down like...

They could not source the cores they used to design the original IC, and thus changed the end tank... but that doesn't make sense, since the core IS the same size they originally advertised. I really don't get why it wouldn't fit with the 2015s. I spent a lot of time in the Ford Parts catalog trying to figure out any changes between 14/15 and I couldn't find anything...

Here's a quote from the original thread, nearly 1.5 years ago now...

"We were planning on doing a small run of 10 FMICs but the cost is too high at the current moment @ $925 each. Same goes for the radiator at $675 each. There is a manufacturer in Tx we plan on using that will bring these costs down to $649 for the FMIC and $349-$319 for the radiator."

I wonder if getting the price down was due to using a cheap core?

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club

If your right then this won't be a simple drop in unit, f#%k this just keeps getting better and better. This company is a joke, sorry if I sound like a broken record. I have a 2015 so now I'm thinking about the time 2J had to redesign...hope it fits because I've seen 2 other units in person and they all look different from mines and each other

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It doesn't look like a tube to me, and definitely not polished. If it were a tube it would go to the end plate at least. lol. I'd like to see a side shot to see if the fins are attached to the top plate like I assume they should be.

I wonder if it went down like...

They could not source the cores they used to design the original IC, and thus changed the end tank... but that doesn't make sense, since the core IS the same size they originally advertised. I really don't get why it wouldn't fit with the 2015s. I spent a lot of time in the Ford Parts catalog trying to figure out any changes between 14/15 and I couldn't find anything...

Here's a quote from the original thread, nearly 1.5 years ago now...

"We were planning on doing a small run of 10 FMICs but the cost is too high at the current moment @ $925 each. Same goes for the radiator at $675 each. There is a manufacturer in Tx we plan on using that will bring these costs down to $649 for the FMIC and $349-$319 for the radiator."

I wonder if getting the price down was due to using a cheap core?
Yeah, I was wondering if the plates were attached myself. I've never done any intercooler building or welding, but from looking at it, it seems that would be much more trouble. That's why I added the bit about cutting and sanding down the tube... Because are they just sliding these things around the shop floor that they get stuffed up the way they are, or what?

I do think that you're correct in that the end plate the end tank welds on to would cover the perimeter of the intercooler. It just looks odd the way it is... But like I said, I don't know.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
If your right then this won't be a simple drop in unit, f#%k this just keeps getting better and better. This company is a joke, sorry if I sound like a broken record. I have a 2015 so now I'm thinking about the time 2J had to redesign...hope it fits because I've seen 2 other units in person and they all look different from mines and each other
I don't think that it won't fit, as shown by Frankie's install.

twolf

Yeah, I was wondering if the plates were attached myself. I've never done any intercooler building or welding, but from looking at it, it seems that would be much more trouble. That's why I added the bit about cutting and sanding down the tube... Because are they just sliding these things around the shop floor that they get stuffed up the way they are, or what?

I do think that you're correct in that the end plate the end tank welds on to would cover the perimeter of the intercooler. It just looks odd the way it is... But like I said, I don't know.
It's quite strange. I've been googling pics of intercooler cores, and seen nothing like this.

This pic:

http://i.imgur.com/EZZCxBi.jpg

gives a better idea what's going on here.

Then if we look here...

http://i.imgur.com/bcrB3Tp.jpg

Everything on the upper side of the red line is made by 2J. I'd wager the tack weld we see wasn't even done by them... Though it is strange that it looks like on some of them, they appear to have tried to "cover it up" but I'm not 100% on that.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
It's quite strange. I've been googling pics of intercooler cores, and seen nothing like this.

This pic:

Then if we look here...

Everything on the upper side of the red line is made by 2J. I'd wager the tack weld we see wasn't even done by them... Though it is strange that it looks like on some of them, they appear to have tried to "cover it up" but I'm not 100% on that.
So in other words your saying this cooler was mismatched together with diff parts and they just welded it together and pushed it out their door?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran

This pic:

Then if we look here...

Yes, but then the header plate seems to go missing at the top and bottom. Could be it was never built right. Maybe 2J tried to cover it up, hoping they could make the weld wide enough? There's no welding going on with a tube and fin core... It's like some brazing process to get everything to hold together. But again, not a professional.

You're right, it's possibly not all their doing and it's just a really really cheap, poorly made intercooler.

twolf

So in other words your saying this cooler was mismatched together with diff parts and they just welded it together and pushed it out their door?
Down boy.

I'm saying I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any intercooler core that looked quite like the one they used, specifically with the gaps in the top plate.

Every company out there uses intercooler cores produced by another company. DHM does it, Cobb does it, MAP does it, etc. Just like Apple buys its components from other companies who know what they're doing, and then combine those parts to make an iPhone.

twolf

Yes, but then the header plate seems to go missing at the top and bottom. Could be it was never built right. Maybe 2J tried to cover it up, hoping they could make the weld wide enough? There's no welding going on with a tube and fin core... It's like some brazing process to get everything to hold together. But again, not a professional.

You're right, it's possibly not all their doing and it's just a really really cheap, poorly made intercooler.
No, no, you're right. The tubes are brazed in.

The tack weld I'm referencing is right here:

http://i.imgur.com/K984UyB.jpg

In every other core I've seen, this isn't a tack weld, but a weld that runs the full width of the IC. Welding the header plate to the end plate.

Which is a fault of the core they bought, not them welding the end tanks on wrong.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Don't even know what to say here, I mean where does this cooler fall now? It's definitely not the biggest stock location IC. Which Cooler does this compare to if any?

AzNightmare

Gave my best shot trying to install this IC but having fitment issues.

Here's my "chicken scratch" diagram of what's going on. It might be hard to follow for those that haven't worked on a IC swap on this car, but hopefully for those that have, it might make sense.

I consider myself a decent handyman, so a simple task like this should have been no problem, yet I've been stumped for hours trying to get this to fit.

Here are some real photos of the 2 conflict points I'm referring to in the

Behind the crash beam, area is all scuffed up from the tight fit

This thing, that the IC is supposed to be connected to. Notice the white areas... That area got scuffed up pretty bad

Trying to push the lower part of the IC back, angling it so that it becomes vertically straight (perpendicular to the ground) just so these holes can line up (no luck though).

Maybe I'm not tackling this correctly, but I don't see how else this IC is supposed to be mounted. The connection points on this IC is exactly the same as COBB's IC, and I used the COBB instructions as a guide.

I have a friend with a 2014 who said he had no issues, and Frankie who I think has a 2015 also didn't have any issues. I messaged Frankie so hopefully he can give me some advice. Any advice from others are welcomed... otherwise, I'm thinking something is wrong with the IC I got, or maybe something is different in my model.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Fitment issues aside, I would at least look into having the bottom and top plates welded to the tank to help support the core better or serious cracking issues could start happening it seems.

As for fitment, see what an be trimmed, adjusted, etc...you might be able to make it work out.

To get the area behind the bumper beam to be more effective make sure to seal around it so air forced there will have to go through the core.

As mentioned there should be dividers in the tank to force more air to that part of the core as well so it is more effective, it can be done after the fact, cut slots in both sides of the tank, slide a divider in place, weld it up. This is not something one should have to do, it should of had a divider to begin with.

Terribly sorry for you guys, especially after paying big bucks to get one to W Canada:(