Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J intercooler review

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #141
That's odd for what it is worth I have multiple 2014-2015 in the shop weekly for installs and I have never seen one difference at all between them that would affect the intercooler.

Russ
Yes, I didn't think there was any difference. He said it was the end tanks being redesigned and I didn't even think to count the rows. New ones appear to be 13 row compared to advertised 17 row

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
That's odd for what it is worth I have multiple 2014-2015 in the shop weekly for installs and I have never seen one difference at all between them that would affect the intercooler.

Russ
Yes, I didn't think there was any difference. He said it was the end tanks being redesigned and I didn't even think to count the rows. New ones appear to be 13 row compared to advertised 17 row
Tbh I can't believe this company can be taken serious by the FiSt community, sending out a shit product and then lying on their website about the discription of the IC. Just shambles, that it boggles my mind

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #143
Tbh I can't believe this company can be taken serious by the FiSt community, sending out a shit product and then lying on their website about the discription of the IC. Just shambles, that it boggles my mind
So go ask for a refund. Why put it on your car if you're so disappointed ?

I think it performs pretty well, haven't seen a charge temp 7 degrees (F) above ambient. Paid $350 shipped. Yeah sucks it's missing a few rows, but it's a pretty good intercooler for the money. Their intake is also probably the best one you can buy for our cars. 2J is not a bad company, they just don't communicate very well. The same could've been said for DHM in the past, but Russ seems to have made things much better. Hopefully 2J will see this and try harder to communicate with customers so people like you don't get so upset :)

AzNightmare

I think it performs pretty well, haven't seen a charge temp 7 degrees (F) above ambient. Paid $350 shipped. Yeah sucks it's missing a few rows, but it's a pretty good intercooler for the money. Their intake is also probably the best one you can buy for our cars. 2J is not a bad company, they just don't communicate very well. The same could've been said for DHM in the past, but Russ seems to have made things much better. Hopefully 2J will see this and try harder to communicate with customers so people like you don't get so upset :)
Did you take note what kind of charge temps above ambient you were getting with the stock oem?

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #145
Did you take note what kind of charge temps above ambient you were getting with the stock oem?
Yes i monitored charge temps of stock cooler awhile back when I first got the car but don't remember what they were. I'm sure the 2J is an improvement in race type situations. Stock intercooler is adequate for daily driving.

ive only had my car back for one day so I'm not setting it in stone that the 2J intercooler is great or bad. Saving that for when I take the car to the drag strip and record the data from my runs

V_2

FWIW, I am running one of the original design IC's from 2J and it has performed very well since I bought the car in November. Obviously, I do not have much high ambient temperature driving to compare to. I also have a BT on the way, so I will see how well it holds up to that.

DHM1

1000 Post Club

Aww thanks Frankie I know I pretty much lost you as a customer due to poor communication. But we always fight and work harder to improve. Our part wait time is till shit though 1-4 typically 6 at the worst. Still a two man crew. Anyway thanks.

Russ

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #148
Aww thanks Frankie I know I pretty much lost you as a customer due to poor communication. But we always fight and work harder to improve. Our part wait time is till shit though 1-4 typically 6 at the worst. Still a two man crew. Anyway thanks.

Russ
I'm letting you guys tune my car for a few different reasons.

The whole intercooler thing is water under the bridge.. If I could afford the quickspool I would probably have one. Maybe in the future.

AzNightmare

Serious question (not trying to bash), but should I be worried? Will that gap affect my performance in any way?
[scratch][scratch]

twolf

You should be fine, but really... how did that make it out of the door?

Personally, I'd send that back.
Absolutely. Even at $400 this is unacceptable. How do you miss that?

So far we have extremely poor communication, an absurdly long wait time, a reportedly different product than what was delivered (Less rows than advertised), very poor customer service, what looks like poor QA/QC, and still no data on the unit. I believe this is why asking tough questions and demanding answers is important in this community for the sake of everyone.

I paid $350 shipped from the UK for mine and it looks better than this. Unacceptable.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
You should be fine, but really... how did that make it out of the door?
I'm not surprised mine is built terrible as well, 2J really has put out some shitty pieces with the product and they could careless.Guess you get what you pay for..

Mine looks like it wasn't even finished, came dull.Everyone else's that I've seen looks shiny[8]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Unless it has an internal divider in the end tanks the lower section in the picture will have hardly any air flow through it except perhaps at the highest boost hit but the top section would be hotter by then...

---------

That "weld" did not penetrate enough to matter on the side it is touching let alone the side not touching rendering the whole plate mostly dead weight, a very weak result prone to failure over time.

:(

AzNightmare

So far we have extremely poor communication, an absurdly long wait time, a reportedly different product than what was delivered (Less rows than advertised), very poor customer service, what looks like poor QA/QC, and still no data on the unit.

I took a look at some of the other "corners". They weren't very well done either.

So when shit hit the fan in this thread:
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1860-2JR-Full-Race-Front-Mount-Intercooler/page8
we all gave benefit of the doubt that maybe just the customer service is lacking, but the product will definitely speak for itself.

A ton of pages later.... Absolute silence from Joe or any J2R rep...
Is there any sort of criteria that needs to be held in order to be a vendor in this forum?? [???:)]

Unless it has an internal divider in the end tanks the lower section in the picture will have hardly any air flow through it except perhaps at the highest boost hit but the top section would be hotter by then...

---------

That "weld" did not penetrate enough to matter on the side it is touching let alone the side not touching rendering the whole plate mostly dead weight, a very weak result prone to failure over time.

:(
I think the intercooler is upside down in that picture so beside intake air through the core, cooling air is going to be blocked by the crash bar too.

I hope we are wrong and the thing works.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Absolutely. Even at $400 this is unacceptable. How do you miss that?

So far we have extremely poor communication, an absurdly long wait time, a reportedly different product than what was delivered (Less rows than advertised), very poor customer service, what looks like poor QA/QC, and still no data on the unit. I believe this is why asking tough questions and demanding answers is important in this community for the sake of everyone.

I paid $350 shipped from the UK for mine and it looks better than this. Unacceptable.
Yup yup, it's all been 100% complete bullshit with this product and this Company. Myself and two of my other friends have bought this product and all of the coolers have quality issues. I have regretted buying this cooler to the point that I can't get myself to install it, it's that bad! I was actually considering the mtc myself but gave this cooler the nod instead -.-
The design seems to be not thought out well enough and on top of that its missing the rows they say it has and then on top of all that the product and service are the worst in terms of quality/care. Sorry for the vent but it cost me 600$CAD. So I'm a little mad

twolf

I'll just say I live very close to their shop. Joe is a very nice guy in person, has a capable shop, dyno, tons of Nissans getting decked out... though I asked him where his Fiesta was and he said it was at home in the garage... and then I was on the forums later that night and saw that he had sold it to another member in a different state several months prior. So I'm not sure what would have possessed him to lie about that.

They've sold 3 (that I know of) to members of our local ST club. One of which has already installed his, and he seems to be quite happy. None of them have the issue that was brought up today/yesterday in this, but they definitely aren't a polished finish like other intercoolers.

So it seems like the QC is a bit lacking.

I have a hunch that perhaps the end tank design change was done to make it easier/cheaper to make. Just take a look at the old/updated version and you'll see what I mean. I also have a hunch that the "retail price" was listed at $799 to encourage more people to pre-order, as we are well past the pre-order stage and it's still at $399.

I'd recommend you to ask for a refund, Venom. I understand that may not be feasible due to the shipping stuff, but give it a shot if you haven't already. :/ I'm really disappointed that this all has happened like this. Like I said, I met him in person and everything seemed fine. I even saw the IC before any of them shipped out. Welds looked great, etc.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
[bash]
I'll just say I live very close to their shop. Joe is a very nice guy in person, has a capable shop, dyno, tons of Nissans getting decked out... though I asked him where his Fiesta was and he said it was at home in the garage... and then I was on the forums later that night and saw that he had sold it to another member in a different state several months prior. So I'm not sure what would have possessed him to lie about that.

They've sold 3 (that I know of) to members of our local ST club. One of which has already installed his, and he seems to be quite happy. None of them have the issue that was brought up today/yesterday in this, but they definitely aren't a polished finish like other intercoolers.

So it seems like the QC is a bit lacking.

I have a hunch that perhaps the end tank design change was done to make it easier/cheaper to make. Just take a look at the old/updated version and you'll see what I mean. I also have a hunch that the "retail price" was listed at $799 to encourage more people to pre-order, as we are well past the pre-order stage and it's still at $399.

I'd recommend you to ask for a refund, Venom. I understand that may not be feasible due to the shipping stuff, but give it a shot if you haven't already. :/ I'm really disappointed that this all has happened like this. Like I said, I met him in person and everything seemed fine. I even saw the IC before any of them shipped out. Welds looked great, etc.
It's been sitting in my garage for 3 weeks , I could try and send it back. But, just the way joe came on and acted I thought a refund would be a long shot. Don't know what else to do[?|]