Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Schroth QuickFit Pro Harness First Impressions

I purchased a Schroth QuickFit Pro harness back in Feburary and finally got around to installing it this weekend. (Only purchased the driver side as I can't afford both at the moment. They run about $370 a piece!). I went with the Pro option because it is HANS device compatable and I plan on using my HANS during track days. I also liked the camlock buckle over the standard and there's an option to add a sub belt later if I want.
Install was a breeze. Anyone with a little wrenching skills should be able to complete it in about 45 minuets. Only tools required are a T46 head socket and socket wrench although I only had a T45 and it worked fine. Hardest part of the install was removing the bottom half of the rear seat which is pretty easy on these cars.
I've had them on the car for a few days now and I have to say they are well worth the money. They hold you into the seat so well. You are able to concentrate on your driving instead of holding yourself in place. I can see these helping with fatigue greatly. Almost makes me not regret not getting the recaros...ALMOST... They adjust very easily and look very good in the car. They are also surprisingly comfortable too. They don't dig into you like other harness I've used.
These belts are DOT Certified so you COULD use them everyday but I wouldn't. When fully buckled in the stereo is a little hard to reach. If you buckle yourself in before closing the door you are not going to be closing the door. Those are the only drawbacks really.
I'll post a more in depth review when I get a little autocross and track time in but initial impressions are very good. I'll keep everyone posted! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Young L

I would look into having someone fab up a harness bar. Its genuinely not a good idea to have harness mounted that low of an angle.

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
The B pillar is too far forward in these cars to have one put in. Harness bars also don't work unless you have a full roll cage. Schroth has done a lot of testing to get these belts DOT Certified. I actually talked with Schroth at PRI this year asking them why they don't offer these QuickFit belts in other models. (So far they only offer them for a select few BMW, VW, Subaru and Ford cars) they explained to me that they require a certain angle for the belts to be mounted like this and that most cars won't work. I have the utmost confidence that these belts are safe to use.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I would look into having someone fab up a harness bar. Its genuinely not a good idea to have harness mounted that low of an angle.
Schroth has a special technology called ASM that prevents submarining. Is it submarining that you're concerned about or spinal compression?

Young L

The B pillar is too far forward in these cars to have one put in. Harness bars also don't work unless you have a full roll cage. Schroth has done a lot of testing to get these belts DOT Certified. I actually talked with Schroth at PRI this year asking them why they don't offer these QuickFit belts in other models. (So far they only offer them for a select few BMW, VW, Subaru and Ford cars) they explained to me that they require a certain angle for the belts to be mounted like this and that most cars won't work. I have the utmost confidence that these belts are safe to use.
Harness bars will work without a full cage, Sparco has been making them for a few years. Schroth has been in it for awhile so I guess they know what they are talking about.

Schroth has a special technology called ASM that prevents submarining. Is it submarining that you're concerned about or spinal compression?
Id be worried about both, given how flat the the standard seat is maybe not so much in the recaro seat. Spinal compression would be my biggest worry over all. I driven and rode in peoples cars that had both harness seat ups and I always felt more secure when it was attached to a harness bar.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
these will be my next purchase, they look amazing
I'm surprised more people on here don't have them. I'm guessing its the high cost. If you don't plan on using a HANS you can get the regular QuickFit for about $130 cheaper.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great choice!

I am a long time user and advocate of the Schroth Quick Fit harnesses and posted about them several times, I plan to get the Pro for both sides of the car.

They are the only viable option if you want a real harness, safe, secure, and legal to use on the road, period.

Harness bar absolutely not needed nor wanted, they are a very bad way to go in 99.9% of the cases where used, that is why you will have a hard time finding them allowed on a road race course.

---------

I had a perfect set of quick fits from an M3 that was very easy to find the BMW parts and make them work perfectly in the FiST but the sanctioning bodies would not let me use them so sold them:(

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
---------

I had a perfect set of quick fits from an M3 that was very easy to find the BMW parts and make them work perfectly in the FiST but the sanctioning bodies would not let me use them so sold them:(
I saw the patch on the rear that said they were to be used only for a Fiesta. They must have to match the car they are in to be legal.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Yep, Mine said BMW and specifically which models so I could not use them even though I put in the parts to make them exactly the same.

I understand why, just did not like it much as costing a lot more money to end up with the same thing.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am going to order a set of the Pro harnesses very soon.

In the mean time if I run any autocross events I could pop in the 3 point one I still have which I should just list for sale.

It is still a great way to stay in the seat for autocross and even out in the canyons and still safe when installed correctly. I used the 3 point setups for years, then switched to 4 points.

I had one street/track car with a cage with removeable bars I built that passed the NASA inspection, Racetech seats and 6 point harnesses, the very best padding and lots of it. It was a safely caged car on the street but was a great deal of work to make it so and a pain to get into and out of so I hardly ever drove it.

meFiSTo

Well, I just ordered a driver's-side Quick Fit Pro and HANS Sport II Model 20L. I had a 6-point harness and a HANS with my old fully caged car. It'll be nice to have that snug feel again of the harnesses and I'm used to the HANS. They are a little bit of a PITA, but wearing one becomes a habit like fastening your everyday 3-point belt whenever you jump into the car normally. Feels funny now to not have a HANS at the track.

Izzy

Totally agree...I've read that type of angle to cause spine compression in a collision.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Harness bars are not a good idea and not legal in most sanctioning bodies, roll bar or cage or nothing. The QFP is designed to work properly when mounted according to instructions provided.

Sorry, just one of those ideas that were not good but got pictures in magazines and thus started getting a rep as a cool part to have.

Sanctioning bodies should get their heads out of you know where.

A harness bar is not as good an idea as a traditional roll bar but there are some people who will not lose their rear seat 100% of the time on a car that spends 0.1% of the time at the track.

In my mind it should be possible to build a 4 point hoop that attaches at the floor and shoulder belt mounts with a harness bar across it at appropriate height. That would allow you to roll the car in to a much smaller ball before the harness loosens up releasing you to rattle around inside it with all the crumpled metal.

That is certainly not as good as a traditional roll bar that triangulates back to the rear suspension mounting points but it is a lot better than a seatbelt with 4' of belt blowing in the wind (at a less than ideal angle).

Any way, we don't need rules that punish people for adding safety gear. I would hope that a tech inspector could tell the difference between a quality harness bar and something that is more likely to hurt you.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree with at least most of what you are saying but what is likely the main issue is harness bars with full race harnesses which is not a safe way thing to do but what we have seen hundreds of cars in magazines running so it got the attention of those that had to make a call and the easy way was to not allow harness bars and require a roll bar for all 5 and 6 point harnesses and only allow the Schroth 4 points when made for a specific car.

Roll bar or harness bar with reclining seats, that are designed to fold back in some situations, not a good thing. Fixed back seats with harness bar, not a good thing.

Either run fixed back real race seats and a proper roll bar or cage or use the Schroths with stock seats or other good reclining seats like some of the Recaros I have ran.

I have been very frustrated with sanctioning bodies over some of the rules like when I installed two sets of the earlier not pro version belts in my car, using factory parts from Ford and BMW to get the exact setup the ST version is now sold as. I was not allowed though the same damn thing except the labels said E36BMW. I had to take them out and run with stock seat belts which suck compared to the Schroth in holding you in place and in safety.

Siestarider

My plain old Quick Fit set is here, thanks to Motorstate for bringing this up. I have standard seats because that is what the first car delivered to S. Fla had in it. I really like the lumbar adjustment, but being held in tighter than stock 3 pt seems a good idea for tracking. I am hoping that my rear seat delete will let me set up the Schroth belts and just leave them under the forward compartment when not using them. If so, I will just pull the front piece of rear bed out for tracking, loose 20 lbs too. And maybe mount my FE where I can leave it under bed, but exposed for handy use on track. Of course, this is all wishful planning until I try to set it up.