Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Universal oil cooler

koozy

3000 Post Club
that's the easy part. the hard part is getting the adapter fitting that allows the removal of the stock oil cooler. mishi won't sell it alone. It's a tight fit with the stock cooler and not worth the trouble to keep it in tandem with an additional cooler. best to remove the stock cooler.

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #3
that's the easy part. the hard part is getting the adapter fitting that allows the removal of the stock oil cooler. mishi won't sell it alone. It's a tight fit with the stock cooler and not worth the trouble to keep it in tandem with an additional cooler. best to remove the stock cooler.
Thanks Koozy. I am torn. An aftermarket oil cooler is ~$550 I am just lookin for options. Can't we install this down the line a little bit? I keep overheating my FiST doing uphill driving. I realize this might have thermostat issues if I install in the wrong place. Do you think mishimoto will sell the part solo ever?

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thanks Koozy. I am torn. An aftermarket oil cooler is ~$550 I am just lookin for options. Can't we install this down the line a little bit? I keep overheating my FiST doing uphill driving. I realize this might have thermostat issues if I install in the wrong place. Do you think mishimoto will sell the part solo ever?
again... it's not worth it if you're not going to remove the stock oil cooler, which is a large contributor to high coolant temps. Adding an oil cooler and not removing the stock cooler only delays the time to reach high temps. Best to just get rid of the stock cooler and replace it with an air to air oil cooler. you can put together your own kit and not have to spend a lot. there are universal brackets available from some oil cooler mfg. like Setrab and Mocal that you can make work. You also don't need steel braided lines.

the hardest part if finding the adapter fittings to get rid of the stock cooler. Mishi won't sell it because that would kill their oil cooler kit sales with people building their own kits for a lot less than what they are selling for and they know this.

here's what I think might work for an adapter fitting to eliminate the stock cooler.

Once the stock cooler and it's adapter fitting are removed, screw this 3/4x16 fitting in to allow a oil cooler sandwich adapter to fit on.

then install this fitting (3/4x16) with the sandwich adapter to allow the oil filter to screw back in place.

Chuckable

Well, if you want to try cheap, there's this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ord-Fiesta-ST180-1-6T/206324_32440099632.html

Take note that this was developed for the 3-door, seems to be in front of the passanger crash sensor and absolutely no idea of the quality of the item. Oh and I don't think the plate is thermostatic either.
I had no idea that was even available, good spot!

However, for the OP, do not get this one. I have the Mishimoto unit and from the installation experience I can tell you that this one probably won't work. The crash beams on the 3-door versus 5-door are different from what I understand (and the pic in the link of the front crash beam looks different that the one on our cars). Plus, the one in the link is running after the OEM cooler.

If you really want to go universal then just get the fitting to ditch the OEM cooler, buy some lines (steel braided probably aren't even necessary), fittings, and a cooler and fab up some brackets. If you're handy you can probably save a hundred bucks or so compared to the Mishimoto unit. When you price out each connector, though, you may not end up saving as much as you think. Good luck with whatever you choose [wrenchin]

Siestarider

I am reviving this because while trying to develop a cheapie oil cooler I found the standard fitting that enables attachment of the Hayden thermostatic sandwich plate does not fit our application once the OEM oil cooler is removed.

From what I can tell the 3/4 x 16 brass nipple idea Koozy describes above is the best option. I plan to cut it to approximate length, run a nut and washer down on it to hold the sandwich plate on and allow enough length left for attachment of oil filter.

Assuming that works, I have oil pressure and temp senders I want to tap into the sandwich plate so I can have dedicated and easier to read gauges on track.

But I would feel better if someone else has already done this and can confirm it works. Thanks.

Siestarider

I am having a problem finding a suitable fitting between block and oil filter. Anyone have a lead?

Siestarider

Did you ever find a suitable adaptor?
No, I believe the thermostic sandwich plate I bought would work with the correct adapter fitting but cannot seem to find a way to purchase only the 3/4 16 piece. Hayden apparently does not sell fitting alone and I do not want to purchase another sandwich just to get the right fitting.

But honestly the delay is more due to recent lower back issues, cannot use a creeper so cannot work on the system. Cannot even service my car for the track right now, so on hold till back gets better.