Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can you run a COBB stg3 tune without a Downpipe?

Idk but after installing my downpipe I for sure feel like the turbo spools with less hesitation, happy I got it!
Think it's more of a butt dyno benefit than actual numbers benefit. But as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters!
In not saying that it isn't his but dyno, or that the car isn't making more power but after doing mine the car felt as if it spooled sooner but not really any faster. Power just happened sooner.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Think it's more of a butt dyno benefit than actual numbers benefit. But as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters!
Have you had a downpipe before or are you going off by what Adam said long ago?[scratch]

In not saying that it isn't his but dyno, or that the car isn't making more power but after doing mine the car felt as if it spooled sooner but not really any faster. Power just happened sooner.
Yes I can attest to this because that exactly how it feels for me, most are just going off by what one tuner has said...sad[bash]

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Have you had a downpipe before or are you going off by what Adam said long ago?[scratch]

Yes I can attest to this because that exactly how it feels for me, most are just going off by what one tuner has said...sad[bash]
I've had a DP on my Veloster turbo, different car I know. And yes, I am going off Adam's knowledge because he's an expert and has data to prove it. I'm definitely not going to waste $250-$400 to "test" a DP and see if I feel a difference. I put that money into my wheels, and glad I did. With Adam's tune, which is the same cost as a cheap DP, I get more power and better power band, something I can feel AND see on paper.

I guarantee you there is power to be had? Maybe not crazy top end gains, but under the curve gains no doubt. A lot? Prob not. But a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I guarantee you there is power to be had? Maybe not crazy top end gains, but under the curve gains no doubt. A lot? Prob not. But a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing.
I'm sure there is but not for that price. I can't justify it. Know you can say that about the exhaust because that's minor gains but I like the sounds so that's the reason for that purchase. Ha. Plus I got it on sale, so I spend less as advertised.

But with the money for a DP I can think of plenty of other things I can mod or add that I will see and feel the differences. Or just purely cosmetic stuff. To each their own, as always. Now if I was going BT then hell yeah DP would be in the books. But for me and my daily driven ST a DP is pointless.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm sure there is but not for that price. I can't justify it. Know you can say that about the exhaust because that's minor gains but I like the sounds so that's the reason for that purchase. Ha. Plus I got it on sale, so I spend less as advertised.

But with the money for a DP I can think of plenty of other things I can mod or add that I will see and feel the differences. Or just purely cosmetic stuff. To each their own, as always. Now if I was going BT then hell yeah DP would be in the books. But for me and my daily driven ST a DP is pointless.
Depo downpipe is like $180

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Depo downpipe is like $180
Touche. But what also throws me off is the installation, not that I would be doing it but still. Ha.

Anyway, some people have, some people don't. I definitely don't fault anybody, I just always like to inform people the info I've been told so they at least have some info to make their own decision.

Maybe I'll do one later down the line when I have nothing else to do to the car. Getting pretty close to that point anyway, aside from BTing it.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Touche. But what also throws me off is the installation, not that I would be doing it but still. Ha.

Anyway, some people have, some people don't. I definitely don't fault anybody, I just always like to inform people the info I've been told so they at least have some info to make their own decision.

Maybe I'll do one later down the line when I have nothing else to do to the car. Getting pretty close to that point anyway, aside from BTing it.
I agree.. It's not for everyone and it doesn't have to be! It makes a small difference on stock turbo cars. so whatever makes you happy go with it lol

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
If replacing DP makes no diff. Why cant I load CoBb stage 3 with intake and IC?

Your going off by one persons pov, other tuners who have been in the game longer with Di engines say the opposite. So when you say your informing people, your simply believing in one persons word vs people who actually have the product on their car. Informing people would be ok if you had the dp on your car and it didn't do shit for you. Your waving a flag, simple and plain

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
It's not a matter of whether you gain any power. The reason I haven't installed my DP ( which I've had for almost 3 months in my garage) is because the power and more importantly, torque that it adds is in a part of the power band that the car doesn't need any more torque in. Between 2,500 and 3,200 rpm. Whether you are stage 1 OTS or stage 3 pro tune, this car does NOT need anymore low end torque. Everyone is entitled to their own .02, but we should all be able to agree on that. This car is extremely torquey down low and dies toward the top. If the power was added higher up in he Rpm range, then I feel it would be a more beneficial mod on a stock turbo than it currently is. Again, just my .02 Once I do my cyborg upgrade I will bolt on my DP as the cyborg shifts power more towards the right and you lose some of the donkey kick torque down low.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Your going off by one persons pov, other tuners who have been in the game longer with Di engines say the opposite. So when you say your informing people, your simply believing in one persons word vs people who actually have the product on their car. Informing people would be ok if you had the dp on your car and it didn't do shit for you. Your waving a flag, simple and plain
No, Adam, IIRC, is the only one that has raw date with JUST a DP installed. Everybody else has the DP along with a tune. Which is understand is the process, but a lot of the added power is coming from the tune remapping the ECU. The DP is just complimenting the tune. The tune is doing most of the work.

What I'm saying is you can pay for an E-tune, specify to your car, your environment, your driving habits, and all that and get just as much out of your car as you would if you added a DP and a tune. I might be wrong here but I'm sure that's where the power is coming from.

FistSt215

I agree the downpipe would help low end tq but it's not like we need that . This car has plenty of low end . We're lacking mid range and top end power . That's were a turbo upgrade or big turbo comes . I would get a dp just to complete a TBE . Depo dp is a bargain and hard to exist .

I agree the downpipe would help low end tq but it's not like we need that . This car has plenty of low end . We're lacking mid range and top end power . That's were a turbo upgrade or big turbo comes . I would get a dp just to complete a TBE . Depo dp is a bargain and hard to exist .
In that logic we don't "need" anything. We drive around, hit 40mph and are done majority of the time. If I offered you more low end torque for the sweet price of $189 you wouldn't be in?

One tuner said there is no power to be had, and he seems like a damn good tuner with a solid reputation, but at the end of the day it won't be hurting you if your trying to squeeze that tiny turbo of useable power.

Also why would anyone that is not willing to tune the car throw a downpipe on and be mad they didn't gain power? On these cars now a days the tune has to be modified one way of another for damn near everything. It sucks.

FistSt215

I'm not arguing about it . I had good amount of turbo cars so I know there is a gain with a downpipe but you will need a tune to benefit from it .

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
In that logic we don't "need" anything. We drive around, hit 40mph and are done majority of the time. If I offered you more low end torque for the sweet price of $189 you wouldn't be in?

One tuner said there is no power to be had, and he seems like a damn good tuner with a solid reputation, but at the end of the day it won't be hurting you if your trying to squeeze that tiny turbo of useable power.

Also why would anyone that is not willing to tune the car throw a downpipe on and be mad they didn't gain power? On these cars now a days the tune has to be modified one way of another for damn near everything. It sucks.
Thank you for Liking this post!
It's not a matter of whether you gain any power. The reason I haven't installed my DP ( which I've had for almost 3 months in my garage) is because the power and more importantly, torque that it adds is in a part of the power band that the car doesn't need any more torque in. Between 2,500 and 3,200 rpm. Whether you are stage 1 OTS or stage 3 pro tune, this car does NOT need anymore low end torque. Everyone is entitled to their own .02, but we should all be able to agree on that. This car is extremely torquey down low and dies toward the top. If the power was added higher up in he Rpm range, then I feel it would be a more beneficial mod on a stock turbo than it currently is. Again, just my .02 Once I do my cyborg upgrade I will bolt on my DP as the cyborg shifts power more towards the right and you lose some of the donkey kick torque down low.

My previous post says it all. Do I want more low end torque? If so, get a dp. Do most of us need more low end torque? NO. To each his own though. Also since the DP is a wider diameter than stock this allows the turbo to spool quicker allowing max boost at a lower rpm. In essence changing the power curve and bringing it more toward the left where I don't need it. On a bigger turbo that spools slower, this is an advantage, on a car like the FiST this is not very desirable.

Downpipe for the torque steer and sound. I love the way my car sounds and the downpipe has a lot to do with that.

twolf

Actually in theory (from my understanding, due to spooling faster and thus pushing the turbo out of its efficiency range more quickly), you lose top end power with a downpipe. So it is indeed hurting you.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Actually in theory (from my understanding, due to spooling faster and thus pushing the turbo out of its efficiency range more quickly), you lose top end power with a downpipe. So it is indeed hurting you.
Freeing up the exhaust will make the turbo much more efficient, allowing it to spool earlier and remain at a higher efficiency island earlier and for longer, reduces pumping losses from the engine, and can reduce charge temps for the FMIC (due to the increased efficiency) to deal with which has the benefit of allowing for more timing.

It is definitely not hurting you.

twolf

I'm not anywhere near well qualified enough to argue with you, I was just repeating the opinion of a fairly well respected tuner.

I'd be happy to be wrong as I have a downpipe on my car :)

Freeing up the exhaust will make the turbo much more efficient, allowing it to spool earlier and remain at a higher efficiency island earlier and for longer, reduces pumping losses from the engine, and can reduce charge temps for the FMIC (due to the increased efficiency) to deal with which has the benefit of allowing for more timing.

It is definitely not hurting you.
Which was exactly my point but no one was willing to listen or care to look at it that way. Less boost + less heat = less strain on an engine which equates to more power. Its a simple equation.

I'm not anywhere near well qualified enough to argue with you, I was just repeating the opinion of a fairly well respected tuner.

I'd be happy to be wrong as I have a downpipe on my car :)
And like i said before he sounds like a stand up guy and a hell of a tuner but nothing but an "opinion"