Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil drain plug torque

For those of you that are as obsessed as I am to have every bolt torqued to spec, the torque on the oil drain plug is 14.5Nm. I have access to a service manual and I can start getting a common torque list going.

redmoe

Hey all, I am nearing 1k miles and want to change out the oil in my FiST. Just picked up a motorcraft filter and 5qts of mobile 1 5w20 (checked in the mobile site and it meet the WSS-M2C945-A spec). The only thing I need is the drain plug torque. I found this post but 14.5Nm and the 21ftlb are not consistent with each other. 14.5Nm is closer to 11ftlb. I found other posts ranging from 19 to 21ftlb. Anyone have the most current torque spec?

Hey all, I am nearing 1k miles and want to change out the oil in my FiST. Just picked up a motorcraft filter and 5qts of mobile 1 5w20 (checked in the mobile site and it meet the WSS-M2C945-A spec). The only thing I need is the drain plug torque. I found this post but 14.5Nm and the 21ftlb are not consistent with each other. 14.5Nm is closer to 11ftlb. I found other posts ranging from 19 to 21ftlb. Anyone have the most current torque spec?
28Nm. 14.5 is for the filter.

For those of you that are as obsessed as I am to have every bolt torqued to spec, the torque on the oil drain plug is 14.5Nm. I have access to a service manual and I can start getting a common torque list going.
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redmoe

Getting that factory oil filter off was a pain! I ended up using a cheater bar and a filter socket.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's a drain bolt. It doesn't hold anything together. It has to be tight enough that it won't leak, and won't come loose. That's not really very tight.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I'm one of those people that are terrible about under or over torquing things, and therefore relate to using a torque wrench on everything.

The filter and drain plug however is probably one of the few exceptions I've not bothered with.

The "trick" that I use with the drain bolt, is to push it tight, and not pull it. This is just using the short handle of a standard 3/8" ratchet.

The filter, I just follow the instructions of turning 1 or 1.5 revolutions, after the filter's lubricated gasket makes initial contact with the block. Then I'll turn it back slightly, to make it easier to twist back off by hand, some 3-6k down the road.

I was also pretty bad about cross-threading things. The trick to avoiding this is to turn counter-clockwise until you feel a light drop or bump, then immediately start to turn clockwise.

rxreyn3

I bought the helm manual and can’t locate the plug torque, nor the oil and filter change process. Am I tarded?