Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler piping worth it

Brura22

About to pull the trigger on either a cobb or mountune intercooler and was curious if the around 300 dollar pipe upgrade kit is worth it...
How much hp will i honestly lose on a stage 2 tune without the piping? Is it worth the 300?

About to pull the trigger on either a cobb or mountune intercooler and was curious if the around 300 dollar pipe upgrade kit is worth it...
How much hp will i honestly lose on a stage 2 tune without the piping? Is it worth the 300?
Will have some increased flow and more consistent cooling, Mishimoto did testing with their new charge pipe and found an increase in HP. Mountune has the intercooler with full charge pipes for normally $899 vs $799 for just the intercooler. If you use the "gomountune" code you can save 15%. I personally think mountunes intercooler design is better than COBBs as they use tube and fin which allows for more air to the radiator. This tube and fin approach is the same that Mishimoto is using for their design. COBB used bar and plate which would be great if it wasn't located where the stock FMIC is located, since the FiST is packaged so tight blocking air flow to the rad will cause increased engine temps under hard pulls and timing will be pulled to reduce power output. Think Mishimoto's pre sale intercooler price is $595

From what ive read, they do nothing for power. Now if you are set on getting upgraded piping why not go for a more complete kit like the MAP or Mishimoto ones?

ATP specifically recommends against it when using the stock turbo as it is simply a waste of money.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-FIE-004&Category_Code=FIE

NOTE: ATP Turbo high flow charge air pipe NOT recommended or necessary for Fiesta ST owners without turbo upgrade plans. Stock charge pipe system provides adequate flow for stock turbo and bolt-on performance modifications. The choking point occurs at turbo outlet (1.5” outer diameter and slightly above 1.25” inner diameter). Alternatively, intercooler upgrade will yield better returns and greatly enhances performance from even the stock turbo.

If there is an issue with the stock piping, its on the hot side.

If I was buying one, I would get the MBRP hot side. It is inexpensive, mandrel bent and aluminum, all good things in my book.

I just ordered the Mishimoto intercooler; so I'm reviving this thread. I wonder/worry if I buy the MBRP or any other pipe(s) for that matter, could I just be inducing turbo lag? My assumption is the turbo will have to work harder to pressurize the system. What do you think?

Nope, if piping volume would give lag, oversized intercoolers would be worse but they are not.

The nice smooth interior of a mandrel bent pipe has no negative except cost.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Hard Pipes

Pro-
Looks better
less clamps on hot side
For big turbo the hot side is a little small

Con-
Cost
also most no flexing (our engines move ALOT!!! hence the oem long rubber intercooler hose allows for proper flex)
Abrupt size changes

Stock Pipes

Pro-
No increase in cost
Very organic and subtle size changes
ALOT of needed flexing
DYNO Proven to over 400whp!

Con-
Clamps (quality and quantity)
Hot side a little small for big turbo

That being said my hands down best option and or combo is.....

1. Mountune Silicone pipes with MBRP Hard pipe!!
This also for proper and needed flexing, gets rid of the small hot side, and allows for proper tbolt clamps!!

Or

2. Stock pipes with MBRP cold side
Same great OEM flexing, oem clamps do hole 32psi of boost just have to check them often, gets rid of smaller hot side

Hope this helps

Russ

If there is an issue with the stock piping, its on the hot side.

If I was buying one, I would get the MBRP hot side. It is inexpensive, mandrel bent and aluminum, all good things in my book.
This is exactly what I did. Fits perfectly, no issues and it was cheap.

Hard Pipes

Pro-
Looks better
less clamps on hot side
For big turbo the hot side is a little small

Con-
Cost
also most no flexing (our engines move ALOT!!! hence the oem long rubber intercooler hose allows for proper flex)
Abrupt size changes

Stock Pipes

Pro-
No increase in cost
Very organic and subtle size changes
ALOT of needed flexing
DYNO Proven to over 400whp!

Con-
Clamps (quality and quantity)
Hot side a little small for big turbo

That being said my hands down best option and or combo is.....

1. Mountune Silicone pipes with MBRP Hard pipe!!
This also for proper and needed flexing, gets rid of the small hot side, and allows for proper tbolt clamps!!

Or

2. Stock pipes with MBRP cold side
Same great OEM flexing, oem clamps do hole 32psi of boost just have to check them often, gets rid of smaller hot side

Hope this helps

Russ
Russ where do you recommend having a tial q bov located? Hotside or cold side?

DP03

I have the Cobb pipes, along with their cooler. I like them a lot, as they eliminate the restristor on the one side. That being said, I'm sure the the power increase, if any, is negligible.

As for those claiming issues with flexing, I will completely disagree. I've had mine on for 5k miles with no issues whatsoever, and that's including WOT 3rd gear runs for my Protune. So this is not an issue whatsoever.

This is like a downpipe. Nothing proves any gains, but it absolutely can't hurt, and will benefit with upgrades......

I would say hotside/charge pipe is worth it for 119 to 140. 4-7 peak HP and Mishi shows little bump under the curve. I will take all the HP I. an get before Cyborg/ Pumaspeed hybrid.

Shoot if you got the money to spend or if you modded all you can and just trying to squeeze out as much as power as you can. I don't see why not or if you come up on a good deal go for it. At least it will make your engine bay sexier.

Better more consistent flow = better throttle response = better sound = funner car. Pretty sure thats why we own these hopped up econoboxes
If ya pick up a few ponies word up

I have the Cobb pipes, along with their cooler. I like them a lot, as they eliminate the restristor on the one side. That being said, I'm sure the the power increase, if any, is negligible.

As for those claiming issues with flexing, I will completely disagree. I've had mine on for 5k miles with no issues whatsoever, and that's including WOT 3rd gear runs for my Protune. So this is not an issue whatsoever.

This is like a downpipe. Nothing proves any gains, but it absolutely can't hurt, and will benefit with upgrades......
I beg to differ, Cobb hotside pipe ~5k miles, I posted these pictures back in October 2015. The pipes were still under warranty, so COBB replaced it.
View attachment 7264

View attachment 7265

I beg to differ, Cobb hotside pipe ~5k miles, I posted these pictures back in October 2015. The pipes were still under warranty, so COBB replaced it.
View attachment 7264

View attachment 7265
As do I, I snapped mine as well. But I have since gone big turbo, so I had to swap out the hotside anyways. However, other than that one fault I had zero issues with the Cobb pipes.

Hmmm....I'll have to check mine out. How long will Cobb cover their pipes?

And when they replaced it, was it the exact same pipe or have they modified it to address the issue?

FistSt215

Depo just released their charge pipe kit hold and cold side for 199.99 . Will be them soon but I really need to calm down on the parts lol

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I remember hearing of a handful (or more) of people that were having this issue with the Cobb pipe. I don't know if they've since changed that weld or not but it hasn't come up much at all recently. Cobb has some of the best customer service I've ever seen from a company and usually aren't even remotely hesitant to replace any defective parts.