Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kyle's Build Thread - STallone

TempeST

UPDATE:12/1/2016: A lot on order and a lot more done to the car lately. 4x100 conversion has been completed. 15x8 6UL wheels installed. BC racing coilovers installed, I have Stratified Aux Fuel Kit, Boomba Ultimate Shift Package, Mishimoto Oil catch Can, Mishimoto Thermostatic Oil cooler Kit, Red Hella Horns, Torque Solutions Mini Stubby Antenna all waiting to be delivered and installed. Pics on this post and on the thread.

08/17/2016 - EFR VDyno, New Exhaust Video, New wheels.

Welcome to my build thread and I hope everyone enjoys. All opinions/experiences welcome, good or bad.

In the beginning: Being "lucky" living in Hawaii, my love for the 370Z died very fast, only having 2 seats, terrible roads, no way to carry surfboards, paddle boards, etc. I decided it was time to move on, so I bought a dodge dart 1.4t. THAT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE!! The thing was in the shop more than I had it in my possession so after 4 months I started researching cars and came across something that matched all my needs; Fords ST line. able to carry everything I needed and have a blast in the car at the same time. We always get models later than usual, so I got one of the first 2015 models that came out here. I drove around the island to find 4 total FiST's: a MO, TB, IS, and a RR. First stop was the fully loaded TB with recaro's and all. The dealership would not budge on price and would not work with me, so next in line was the MO, only having Nav, I was a little disappointed but the color is awesome in person, again this other dealership would not work with me, so on to the third dealership with the IS and RR. The RR was everything I wanted Recaro's only nothing else to add, but it had stripes which I do not like. I tried working with them and they said they would take them off, and they came down quite a bit on price, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to make the plunge so I asked to have a night to think on it. not three hours later they called and said it was sold, and told me if I wanted the IS one they Would honor the deal we had minus the price of the recaro's. The IS has sun roof and NAV no recaro's. But at the price I got it I couldn't pass it up. OTD @ $20,800.

Enters STallone: I promised myself I would not mod this car until the warranty is up... that lasted about 60 days. I purchased a COBB cat back and Drop-in filter @ 900 mi. I then wanted to see what the car was made of stock. Keeping in mind I have 92 octane fuel out here, very high humidity, and temperatures usually in the 90's I was not expecting much. So it produced a measly162hp/205lb-ft of torque. So I then installed the Cat back and filter and shortly after ordered a Depo cat-less downpipe @ 1500mi, and after that knowing the warranty was basically going out the door, I contacted COBB again and picked up my intercooler piping, RMM, and AP3. At the same time I picked up a Mishimoto J-line intercooler from another member here on the forum with all the "bolt-it-on" goodies, and a Mountune intake from Mountune USA. I installed everything hiccup free @ 1900mi. I ran the COBB Stage 3 tune for a couple weeks then decided to get a Protune. I then purchased TUNE+ pre gapped spark plugs and one of the TUNE+ waste gate actuators in the final batch he ran, and a Synapse DV+ that I have set up on the cold charge pipe attached where the Symposer used to be, setup on the push mode with both A and B ports and teed into the vacuum line directly above the throttle body. I installed those the same day I received them with no problems. I then talked to COBB about their Intake and received one of those as well. Yes, the COBB filter DOES fit inside the Mountune intake box if you tilt the filter. This car is so surprisingly easy to work on compared to my previous cars I have modded. I finally had it Dyno'd on the same dyno same fuel, very similar humidity but it was about 5 degrees warmer results being 195whp/255wtq. This may sound low but when you look at the gains from stock, it is about on par with everyone elses results. +33whp/+50Wtq. Dyno Dynamics
[video=youtube_share;CtYYlYs3tNo]http://youtu.be/CtYYlYs3tNo[/video]

Same day second run
[video=youtube_share;BSjykOwpaXY]http://youtu.be/BSjykOwpaXY[/video]

Sorry for this being long, Because of my lack of starting this months ago, I am trying to catch up. And this brings me to present day.

03/30/2016: STallone has been on the road problem free for 9 months and is sitting at 7700mi. Within the past month I have purchased a used PumaSpeed quick spool manifold with V-band connection for my "custom" turbo kit, 2J-Racing intake, AEM water methanol kit, and a DHM race intercooler (powder coated red) and crash bar. Plans for turbo kit: I am still deciding on what turbo to use, but leaning toward towards the Garret GT2554R with billet wheel v-band exhaust housing inlet, IWG with a custom 5 bolt downpipe, the other choice would be to locate a BW EFR6255(smaller exhaust turbine wheel than the EFR6258) v-band exhaust housing with IWG and 5 bolt downpipe. I look at this turbo because of its power potential and lighter gamma-Ti turbine wheel. So I have a few decisions to make. I will post a couple pictures I have now (at work) and I will get more when I get home and have my photo albums that I can load more up for everyone to see. If you have any questions about anything past, present, or future plans, maybe suggestions, likes or dislikes please let me know. [loveboost]

Stallone: 2015 Fiesta ST, Ingot Silver, Sunroof, Nav.

Interior:
2015 Mustang GT shift knob
Window Suction cup holder for AP3
Boomba Ultimate Shift Package

Exterior:
4x108 to 4x100 wheel lug conversion
Charcoal 949Racing 6UL 15x8 +36 11.4lbs each w/205/50-15

Engine:
2J-Racing Intake
COBB AP3
COBB RMM
FrankieFiesta 80a Durometer driver and passenger mounts
CP-E Meth Charge pipe
Custom Full 3" mandrel bent VBand Stainless exhaust w/ Magnaflow 14419 muffler, 1794 Vibrant resonator, and Red Tail Flat black oval Exhaust tip
DHM Race Intercooler & Crash bar
DHM EFR turbo kit
TUNE+ one step colder spark plugs
DHM Protune on 92 and 92+Meth

Suspension:
Custom BC Racing Coilovers 6k front/5k rear

Awaiting Install:
Stratified Aux Fuel Kit
Mishimoto Oil catch Can
Mishimoto Thermostatic Oil cooler Kit
Red Hella Horns
Torque Solutions Mini Stubby Antenna

View attachment 11205 View attachment 11206

New Exhaust Video - There is a little smoke, but this is due to the oil fitting for the turbo not fitting correctly, I have a new one on order already! :) To be short, watch the beginning to 2:30 and then skip to 6:30 and watch till the end. Hope you enjoy
[video=youtube;mWzQhfawLFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzQhfawLFA[/video]
[video=youtube;rqtFwPeHv8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqtFwPeHv8E[/video]
IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3210.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

twolf

Wow! I love this! Road looks awesome. I need to go to Hawaii.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #4
Wow! I love this! Road looks awesome. I need to go to Hawaii.
Hawaii is nice. The roads, although it looks great is pretty terrible. The small stretch of road in the NAV screen is all that I have found here that is "fun" to swing through the twisties. most of the roads are full of pot holes and stuff. I will say though, there are MANY MANY beautiful drives here on the coastlines.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #5
Latest update of parts received.

PumaSpeed Vband header
BW EFR 6258 with turbosmart parts
And one of my most recent pulls on the current setup, this is after sitting in traffic for 15minutes which is why my current numbers for intake and charge temp are high. but check out the boost pressure and Airflow mass all on stock turbo[unbelieveable] BW EFR 6258.png Log.png Pumaspeed header.png

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #6
Got the DeadHook Motorsports intercooler and crash bar mounted yesterday. Along with painting the crash bar to match the intercooler and drilling out the grill. Which is a PITA. I thought about buying the Focus ST grill and widening the fiesta grill area for it. And am still thinking of doing that. But sheesh. That was not fun. The intercooler and crash bar went on without a problem! Perfect fitment. It barely fits with the COBB hard pipe kit but I got it to work out. And next week I'll be putting on a CP-E methcharge cold side pipe. And hopefully the turbo kit if I can find the right size and length water and oil lines. Any way! Here are the pics!

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #8
Updated Build:

2J-Racing intake installed... holy LOUD... but I love it. Will definitely be doing some sound deadening.

Custom turbo kit has changed to a DHM EFR kit. I originally bought RAAMAudio's old EFR kit(minus the manifold). I bought an EFR V band IWG housing from turbokits.com to switch the turbo from the T25 0.64 a/r turbine housing to the Vband 0.85a/r IWG style. I was going to use the PumaSpeed V-series Manifold. Well upon installing everything I ran into a problem. The Vseries Manifold being made for GARRET turbos does not work with the EFR with IWG. The WGA hits the block and will not allow the turbo to be mounted, and clocking the turbo to fit the WGA in a different position wasn't an option either. So I thought about going EWG and in doing so I purchased a Tial EWG kit, and then I later decided against it. So if anyone would like a Tial EWG or a PumaSpeed V series Manifold let me know. [cool]

So looking at other options while in the midst of talking to Russ [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] he offered to make the Manifold for the EFR. and without much hesitation I agreed. So my project is on hold for now as I shipped my Turbo and Downpipe to Russ for the First V-band DHM EFR Manifold (kit) to be produced. [loveboost] I will be sure to keep you all updated, I am BEYOND EXCITED to have the chance to have all these great products working together and to see how this EFR kit turns out.

Wow, I love the shots. Great views from Tripler medical and Schofield Barracks. The FiST looks awesome.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #11
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I'll have many more to come. As of right now I'm just patiently waiting on the Manifold for the EFR kit. once I get it I will have more pics and cruises and results etc.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #12
Well my project has been on hold for quite sometime now. I have not heard from DHM since I sent them my turbo and downpipe 5 weeks ago. I have tried emailing, Facebook messaging, and calling. Not sure what's going on right now. I have asked to just have my stuff sent back so I can continue the project but still have not heard anything. Hopefully I can hear from them soon so I can get this situation figured out.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #14
Incredibly. I don't even really mind that its taking time, even though I was told 2-4 weeks and it has been 5 weeks. but I haven't heard from them since I sent them the Turbo and Downpipe. that's the frustrating part. I can wait, I'm pretty patient in most things. but now I kind of just want the stuff back so I can move on.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #15
Just got word from Russ. My manifold should be done by next week, which means if I can get a few good days to work on my car I may be able to get it going by the end of next week WITH the EFR kit! Once this puppy is on and going good. it will be time to start other projects on the car, next will be wheels/tires/brakes/LSD/Suspension.

antarctica24

That awesome on the efr kit. I have a question maybe you can answer. Everything you mentioned with the exception of the wheels are power support options. Meaning you might want all of those items prior to installing a bigger turbo or adding any kind of power. Because it is more the norm than not, what made you choose to go that route and install more power before you installed the listed items to help you support the gain in power?

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #17
I chose to go full bolt on first, and then to go bigger power because mainly, here in Hawaii, we have this thing called "recon". Simply what this means is if you mess with the integrity of the suspension system on any given car(I.e. Raise, lower, wheels outside fenders, mess with the suspension in any way that is not stock such as camber, caster, toe etc.) you have to get the car evaluated for safety or you run the risk of being pulled over and given a citation or worse having the car confiscated. So for me, I want to get the power set up just how I would like. As this is something you don't change much for the track, you tweak suspension and camber, caster etc when you track. So if I were to get my car "recon" at 1.2" below stock, then change it to 0.9" below stock, then I would need to get it recon again. And it's a pain in the ass. So there fore I want to get the power squared away first. Then LSD, then wheels and tires. Then suspension if I even do that here. I may wait to do suspension when I get back to the mainland.

Is that what you were asking? Or were you asking about the bolt ons before the big turbo?

antarctica24

I chose to go full bolt on first, and then to go bigger power because mainly, here in Hawaii, we have this thing called "recon". Simply what this means is if you mess with the integrity of the suspension system on any given car(I.e. Raise, lower, wheels outside fenders, mess with the suspension in any way that is not stock such as camber, caster, toe etc.) you have to get the car evaluated for safety or you run the risk of being pulled over and given a citation or worse having the car confiscated. So for me, I want to get the power set up just how I would like. As this is something you don't change much for the track, you tweak suspension and camber, caster etc when you track. So if I were to get my car "recon" at 1.2" below stock, then change it to 0.9" below stock, then I would need to get it recon again. And it's a pain in the ass. So there fore I want to get the power squared away first. Then LSD, then wheels and tires. Then suspension if I even do that here. I may wait to do suspension when I get back to the mainland.

Is that what you were asking? Or were you asking about the bolt ons before the big turbo?
Omg that would be a huge pita. That was exactly what I was asking but you have a legitimate reason. North Carolina doesn't require anything other than making sure the car passes emissions. But they no longer do a tailpipe test. If the computer doesn't Thorpe a code you pass. On my car I did just the reverse. I upgraded the suspension, then brakes, prior to installing the stage 3 stuff and now getting ready to install the turbo upgrade. I don't think the x-37 turbo will require an upgraded lsd or clutch though.

The reason for the question came up at a car event a couple weeks ago and a majority of the people there all upgraded power first then upgraded the supporting power refinements. I was just curious. Best of luck on the efr. Don't forget to post a dynojet of your upgraded results, I'll bet that will be a beast.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #19
Yeah its a big PITA. and especially considering I have only found one place that does Recon here and it is backed up for three months for an appointment. I would typically do wheels and suspension first, but because of this "recon thing" I switched my goals around a bit. not to mention the roads here are terrible. beautiful place, don't get me wrong, but the roads have pot holes everywhere. I know the EFR is probably going to be a little on the laggy side, but I'm prepared. and plus I'm going to be using it in the future on a twin scroll kit and for more power when we can finally build the car a little more. this turbo maxes out above the power I'm looking for so no reason to change it. and once twin scroll I'm hoping it will spool much quicker and provide a better power band. Thanks for the kind words and luck! I will for sure keep updating here, and I will load everything up in there proper places, (EFR kit thread, Big turbo kit thread etc.) I'm excited to have an EFR as they have been proven for years. and I'm curious as to how it stacks up against the 2860 turbo kit.

I am actually from NC the really far western part in Clay county (Hayesville) you being in Charlotte have probably never even heard of it. lol My entire high school had 320ppl.

antarctica24

Yeah its a big PITA. and especially considering I have only found one place that does Recon here and it is backed up for three months for an appointment. I would typically do wheels and suspension first, but because of this "recon thing" I switched my goals around a bit. not to mention the roads here are terrible. beautiful place, don't get me wrong, but the roads have pot holes everywhere. I know the EFR is probably going to be a little on the laggy side, but I'm prepared. and plus I'm going to be using it in the future on a twin scroll kit and for more power when we can finally build the car a little more. this turbo maxes out above the power I'm looking for so no reason to change it. and once twin scroll I'm hoping it will spool much quicker and provide a better power band. Thanks for the kind words and luck! I will for sure keep updating here, and I will load everything up in there proper places, (EFR kit thread, Big turbo kit thread etc.) I'm excited to have an EFR as they have been proven for years. and I'm curious as to how it stacks up against the 2860 turbo kit.

I am actually from NC the really far western part in Clay county (Hayesville) you being in Charlotte have probably never even heard of it. lol My entire high school had 320ppl.
I have heard of hayesville. It's a blink town :) I have spent most of my life here and I am now leaving it probably for good. I've taken a job in Washington state. I mean if your going to go, why not all the way across the country. You went around the planet. Well half way. I know what you mean by the pot hole thing. It makes you almost want to buy a set of steel wheels and just paint them. I am on the verge of jumping in with both feet on this motor. The problem I keep coming back to is what to do with the power? And better yet how to get it to the ground so that it is useful. All these big turbo kits making 3. 4 and one or two in the 500 range or knocking on the door. I've had big horsepower, but I also had a meaningful car to make use of the power and the modifications required to get it to the ground were profound and expensive. In those cars the dynojet really didn't matter it was what you could do at the track, meaning, you could make 1500hp but if you cant run anything better than a 9.5 in the quarter, then it means nothing. We have guys putting down quarter times in the 12's. Maybe high 11's. In reality that is slow. It's awesome in this car for what it is, but there are several stock cars that will run the quarter in the 11's , and one or two in the high 10's. There is a point where I believe it's just too much I really just don't know where that is. You have to start looking at axels, lsd, suspension, chassis reinforcement, to do it right. You can slap a v8 in this car, but it doesn't mean it would be safe, right? That is what makes the Subaru and Evo and now rs a little more impressive in that at least you have 2 more wheels to help launch the car. Gm made a quad 4 one time that made 2000hp and they took it to the salt flats. Obviously not the same as the quarter mile. Bmw is a really good example of what I'm talking about. They build their cars right on the cusp of having too much power and then stop where gm and ford, say screw it, and stuff as much as the components will take and then back it off 5%. If you are auto crossing I would think going the way of bmw concepts on design power versus weight would be the way to go. If you have too much power I would think you could overpower the car and it would be hard to control coming out of turns. I am really looking forward to watching your build and later seeing how the twinscroll works out. That is supposed to be the cats meow of turbo's.