Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

redmoe

UPDATE ... I pick up my new 2018 FoST this week.

Ford is taking the '16 FiST back. They are unable to fix the car and I insisted that I did not want it.

I am sad because when the FiST is running, it is FUN....but it's now been another 6 weeks without it and I'm done having to be known on a first name basis by the entire service department staff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Just curious about the rate a coolant consumption you were seeing?

Just curious about the rate a coolant consumption you were seeing?
In both my 2014 and my 2016 I noticed No measurable coolant consumption but both engines verified as having coolant in cylinder 3/4 on visual inspection after 3 hour leak down.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Ive got more issues. Just ran at autox today, and saw it go up to 5 of 8 bars. No problem.

Running the AC driving in traffic, slowly crept up to 6 bars. Stopped and let it go down to 4, then got out to get a sandwich. When I got back in, all 8 bars were lit and the car was fussy. Quickly went back down to 4 bars.

Im done dicking around. Its under warranty and im taking it in, on a hot summer day.

That said, i have modified the car a bit. What all should I return to stock before I take it in? Unmarry AP, stock air filter, stock spark plugs. Do i need to put the stock catback back on? Overall, pretty bummed about this happening to the newest car ive owned.

I wouldn't worry about the catback. The intake is easy enough but if they wanted to be dicks they could easily tell that it had been put back to stock. Stock spark plugs is a good idea as well.

I've had my share of 8 bars while hooning around town when it's 95F or hotter. That seems to be about the limit for my car. (My cooling system is as it left the factory, except I added Water Wetter.) I've never had it get hotter while idling though. If it did, I'd probably be taking it in as well. How long was it idling while you ran in to get food? Btw, what kind of sandwich? lol

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
In both my 2014 and my 2016 I noticed No measurable coolant consumption but both engines verified as having coolant in cylinder 3/4 on visual inspection after 3 hour leak down.

I wonder if it's a casting issue or a gasket issue?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldn't worry about the catback. The intake is easy enough but if they wanted to be dicks they could easily tell that it had been put back to stock. Stock spark plugs is a good idea as well.

I've had my share of 8 bars while hooning around town when it's 95F or hotter. That seems to be about the limit for my car. (My cooling system is as it left the factory, except I added Water Wetter.) I've never had it get hotter while idling though. If it did, I'd probably be taking it in as well. How long was it idling while you ran in to get food? Btw, what kind of sandwich? lol
Yeah meng!

Alexrex20...I'd bet a ton that your car has an internal coolant leak or bad head gasket too. If you're hitting 8 bars at 95 degrees I'm guessing that your coolant is hitting about 250 degrees which is bad news for this engine. It won't last long before you've got some serious problems. The car should not be getting that hot.

I wonder if it's a casting issue or a gasket issue?

By the looks of the head that was removed from my engine, I strongly believe that poor castings may be the culprit. The '16 head was severely pitted and not smooth at the gasket surface . It definitely looked like a poor casting, poor machining and poor Quality control.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Alexrex20...I'd bet a ton that your car has an internal coolant leak or bad head gasket too. If you're hitting 8 bars at 95 degrees I'm guessing that your coolant is hitting about 250 degrees which is bad news for this engine. It won't last long before you've got some serious problems. The car should not be getting that hot.

I don't know of any FiSTs down here in Texas that don't go full hot within minutes at an autox/track day at 95F+. The cooling system is simply inadequate.

I don't know of any FiSTs down here in Texas that don't go full hot within minutes at an autox/track day at 95F+. The cooling system is simply inadequate.
Monitor your coolant temps and intake temps. Limp mode is no good anywhere. It is not right and yes the cooling system is inadequate which quickly damages the gaskets/heads. NEVER had a car this fickle at any temp.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Mine hasn't either, but I did get the idiot warnings on TrackNight and I figured it was just a matter of time. Installed the Mountune (CSF) radiator a few weeks ago with some Red Line WaterWetter, and I don't worry about it anymore. [driving]
Ya same here. I get full hot (8 bars) but it has yet to go into limp mode. The Mountune radiator is the next upgrade. I was ready to order a few weeks ago but they were and still are out of stock.

Alex, careful using water wetter. I use it all the time in my boosted NA, which btw never sees temps above 205. But i read that water wetter can gum up in orange coolant.

Im gonna redress the car as stock and take it in for a leakdown

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Was there ever any white/light grey smoke spewing out the tail pipe when you 'got on it'??

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
But I read that water wetter can gum up in orange coolant.
The RED Water Wetter will definitely gum up in actual, labeled, DEX COOL, which I'm guessing is a similar composition to our Motorcraft orange(?). [dunno]
The BLUE (diesel formula) WW does not gum up in Dex Cool. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ya same here. I get full hot (8 bars) but it has yet to go into limp mode. The Mountune radiator is the next upgrade. I was ready to order a few weeks ago but they were and still are out of stock.
I am trying to hold out until someone comes up with an even higher capacity/'headroom' radiator than the Mountune, but between the lack of space to work with in that area in these cars, and the fact that the FiST is dead in North America now (and there were not that many of them built anyway), that probably will not happen. [:(]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
The RED Water Wetter will definitely gum up in actual, labeled, DEX COOL, which I'm guessing is a similar composition to our Motorcraft orange(?). [dunno]
The BLUE (diesel formula) WW does not gum up in Dex Cool. ;)
The website says it works fine with DEX-COOL. It is working fine so far for me but I only put in a few ounces.