Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

Im in miami fl. Yesterday I experienced the traffic from hell.....almost 2 hours of stop and go traffic......4 people on the car..AC blasting in 100 degree weather...Car overheat chime came on..scared bejesus out of me...was i bar from the H temp..turned off AC..temeprature went back down to normal...checked coolant...it looks at normal level...i have Cobb stage 1 tune....What do you guys think??? Issue with something and take it to dealer or just terrible consditions??? Please feedback..
Take it in. Guarantee there is a problem. (I'd put money on a head gasket issue)) This was the exact symptom I had. I cannot stress enough, a car should not overheat in traffic, air on or off, 4 people in the car or not. This is something that is unacceptable. The earlier your present the issue, the better the outcome will be when it requires work or something else. People here will tell you not to worry, it only happened once. With a properly functioning car (any car) this should NOT happen. I thought it was a fluke on mine and waited, the dealer screwed around then it became a mess to resolve. Just my experience. Others will certainly try to neutralize the issue because they haven't experienced it.....yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh I have. I've driven the FiST, FoST, and FoRS. Still chose the FiST just because of the fun factor like you have previously mentioned and at the time I didn't want to spend $40k+ for a Focus. Comparing that price to the price I got my brand new 15 mile FiST at last year, which was $20,300 fully loaded besides sunroof, was a no brainer. My commute and just daily driving in general is around town so the highway isn't something I see often on a daily basis.

I'm sorry you where one of the people plagued with the cooling issues. Not all have it but I know it sucks ass.
TDavis.....see that you're an ST driver AND a Ducati owner.....nice combo!.....I've got a 15 Diavel myself.....

redmoe

Take it in. Guarantee there is a problem. (I'd put money on a head gasket issue)) This was the exact symptom I had. I cannot stress enough, a car should not overheat in traffic, air on or off, 4 people in the car or not. This is something that is unacceptable. The earlier your present the issue, the better the outcome will be when it requires work or something else. People here will tell you not to worry, it only happened once. With a properly functioning car (any car) this should NOT happen. I thought it was a fluke on mine and waited, the dealer screwed around then it became a mess to resolve. Just my experience. Others will certainly try to neutralize the issue because they haven't experienced it.....yet.

Seems like the head gasket issue or leak into a cylinder may be more of a result (possible warped head from the heat) than the cause of the overheating? It’s appears that there may have been a bad run of radiators amongst the issues that contributed to some of the overheating. Either way I agree that it should be addressed either by warranty or if you are going to mod the car an upgraded radiator may be the best route.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
TDavis.....see that you're an ST driver AND a Ducati owner.....nice combo!.....I've got a 15 Diavel myself.....

Haha yep! I love it. The Diavel is also a piece of art.

Thank you so much. I agree with everything you are saying. Car IS going in for service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seems like the head gasket issue or leak into a cylinder may be more of a result (possible warped head from the heat) than the cause of the overheating? It’s appears that there may have been a bad run of radiators amongst the issues that contributed to some of the overheating. Either way I agree that it should be addressed either by warranty or if you are going to mod the car an upgraded radiator may be the best route.
You're correct, but Ford is only addressing the symptom. Root cause is NOT known. Ive read a lot about some phantom "bad run" of radiators but no one has been able to produce even a picture of the "bad" radiator, so it's suspect to me. I can tell you and show you pictures of the head that was removed from mine that was heavily pitted on the head gasket sealing area....never seen anything like it. My hypothesis includes this as part of the root cause and the failure of so many head gaskets.

redmoe

You're correct, but Ford is only addressing the symptom. Root cause is NOT known. Ive read a lot about some phantom "bad run" of radiators but no one has been able to produce even a picture of the "bad" radiator, so it's suspect to me. I can tell you and show you pictures of the head that was removed from mine that was heavily pitted on the head gasket sealing area....never seen anything like it. My hypothesis includes this as part of the root cause and the failure of so many head gaskets.

I think I asked this already but can’t recall so sorry if it is redundant: Did you have any coolant loss? It seems that a head gasket leak that was significant enough to cause an overheating condition would either have to lower the coolant level to the point of driving the overheating or create a large hot spot that drives the near by coolant passages up enough to raise the overall coolant temp.

In my personal experience I came close to over heating once in 100F weather and decided to install a better radiator immediately after. Now my temps stay below 200f even in 110f weather. It’s not conclusive but on the surface it would that my radiator was not functioning properly.

I think I asked this already but can’t recall so sorry if it is redundant: Did you have any coolant loss? It seems that a head gasket leak that was significant enough to cause an overheating condition would either have to lower the coolant level to the point of driving the overheating or create a large hot spot that drives the near by coolant passages up enough to raise the overall coolant temp.

In my personal experience I came close to over heating once in 100F weather and decided to install a better radiator immediately after. Now my temps stay below 200f even in 110f weather. It’s not conclusive but on the surface it would that my radiator was not functioning properly.
No worries. I saw NO coolant loss in any of the 3 engines that overheated or in the latest with the replacement head. I figured the same, that loss of coolant should be significant, you'd smell it or see it somewhere, but never saw it or lost it...BUT it was seen in the 3 hour leak down test in cylinder 3 or 4. I almost think the coolant loss into the cylinder is yet another symptom of something else going on. I think it may be introducing air into the coolant creating a hot spot or restricted flow. I saw and recorded air bubbles in the coolant reservoir during the overheat condition. Didn't look like boiling, looked like air in the system.... Once it cools, I think it leaks back into the cylinder a little then burns off at startup mixed with rich exhaust it's never smelled.... Just my theory...

redmoe

No worries. I saw NO coolant loss in any of the 3 engines that overheated or in the latest with the replacement head. I figured the same, that loss of coolant should be significant, you'd smell it or see it somewhere, but never saw it or lost it...BUT it was seen in the 3 hour leak down test in cylinder 3 or 4. I almost think the coolant loss into the cylinder is yet another symptom of something else going on. I think it may be introducing air into the coolant creating a hot spot or restricted flow. I saw and recorded air bubbles in the coolant reservoir during the overheat condition. Didn't look like boiling, looked like air in the system.... Once it cools, I think it leaks back into the cylinder a little then burns off at startup mixed with rich exhaust it's never smelled.... Just my theory...

Thanks for the info. Hopefully Ford figures this out and hopefully not too many folks end up with engine damage.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Sounds like Mountune will have an overflow of orders once they get back in stock lol. No wonder they're out of stock.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

Y'all have very nice taste. I have a 1098R and a Monster 800 S2R.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Take it in. Guarantee there is a problem. (I'd put money on a head gasket issue)) This was the exact symptom I had. I cannot stress enough, a car should not overheat in traffic, air on or off, 4 people in the car or not. This is something that is unacceptable.
This. My car has gotten hot a few times but only when ambient is stupid high and I am driving it like a complete asshole. Your car should absolutely never overheat while simply idling in traffic. There is definitely a problem.

Picking my car up from the dealership today. It was exactly one week ago that I dropped it off. Last Friday, they still hadn't looked at the car so I got a loaner vehicle (Ecosport). Gotta say, pretty disappointed in the ecosport.

Supposedly the original thermostat malfunctioned. I asked if they installed the new 180*F tstat but that information was not available over the phone. Will have more details to come as I see if the cooling was improved/repaired.

Picking my car up from the dealership today. It was exactly one week ago that I dropped it off. Last Friday, they still hadn't looked at the car so I got a loaner vehicle (Ecosport). Gotta say, pretty disappointed in the ecosport.

Supposedly the original thermostat malfunctioned. I asked if they installed the new 180*F tstat but that information was not available over the phone. Will have more details to come as I see if the cooling was improved/repaired.
I remember back in the day, we used to pull the thermostat out of our PT Cruiser.
It would improve ac.
If it was just a part you're waiting for, I wonder if you couldn't just run without? In summer it shouldn't matter much.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
It was 96F+ out and while out doing some good hardcore spirited driving my coolant did reach 240F+. One more bar and I would have been full H on the temp gauge. Didn't overheat but was getting there. I cruised a little bit to let it cool off a bit. I can thankfully say I found out on the street and not the track.

Mine has yet to overheat while in traffic. Just when I'm spirited driving.

Sounds familiar... Ask them to show you the thermostat and ask how it failed and caused the overheat. You'll get a good feel for whether they are confident that this is what happened or they are just going through the replacement parts game....sorry don't mean to be so pesemistic but that's they order of events I went through. They would replace a part and because they could not duplicate the heat condition, I was told it was fixed but they never knew quite what went bad...then it overheated once the temp got up again. Just wait til it gets to 90 degrees. AC on, windows down, sport mode. Do one strong pull through second gear. Stop. Repeat one more time. Then Stop and shut off car for a minute or two. Go back out and just see if it will let you do another pull. Monitor coolant temp and you'll watch it rise to 240+. Monitor intake temp. When that starts to rise above 100, that's when it loses it and typically cannot recover. It then goes over 150 air intake and heat soaks and ....BEEP, BEEP. LIMP MODE.

me32

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=670]me32[/MENTION], the NGK plugs have the antiseize nickel coating on them from the factory. Ive been advised not to use more than whats on there, as it can affect torque values.

Anyways, the car has been at ford now for a couple of days. Waiting to hear back if its a warranty claim or not.

As for the FoST, its definitely the faster car. The FiST is just "arguably" more fun, definitely more tossable
By choice i prefer the stock plugs. As they tend to work best. Ive seen issues with other plugs on the EcoBoost motors. Also nothing wrong with choosing not to use antisize. But i prefer to use it. Always works and i have seen people strip threads in the heads already when not not using it.

me32

1000 Post Club

The new tstat should help if that was the cause