Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

Finally got Ford to replace something. They also said if after testing its still overheating they will replace the radiator. Will have to wait for Wed to test as have to drive out of town to a big hill to test it and need 25C temps for it to overheat.

Parts
BM5Z 8C605 C - Valve ASY - Control
RH 223 - Thermostat

20180813_153346.png

Well that was for nothing, took the car out to some hills in the Fraser Canyon. It was 29C and got it to two bars from top. I should have waited a bit when the temps outside hit 36C as that for sure would have overheated. I did manage to get a photo of the temp gauge but will see if I have time on Sunday if its hot to do another drive up the Coquihalla Hwy which for sure will overheat as long as its 32C+

1/2 of the time as I'm going with traffic so already at 100/120 KM/h in 6th gear as I'm going up hill from flat with 3000 rpm ish. Other times its starting from red light and going through gears. I can we WOT in 40C temps on flat going 160 and no issues. I was in another city (Kamloops BC) and they have steep roads in the city, With 3 of us I barley made it out of town in 60km/h hour traffic as the car kept on overheating, I think I posted a video from my phone of it. That's not normal for a modern car not be to able to go up hills on hot days.

1/2 of the time as I'm going with traffic so already at 100/120 KM/h in 6th gear as I'm going up hill from flat with 3000 rpm ish. Other times its starting from red light and going through gears. I can we WOT in 40C temps on flat going 160 and no issues. I was in another city (Kamloops BC) and they have steep roads in the city, With 3 of us I barley made it out of town in 60km/h hour traffic as the car kept on overheating, I think I posted a video from my phone of it. That's not normal for a modern car not be to able to go up hills on hot days.
Nope it's not. Insist they get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately, you may find that it is insolvable and a "characteristic" of this car. Seems like some folks have learned a way around it, hence the questions about how hard you drive it, but I'm with you that you a modern car should not be overheating in the conditions you describe. I do think that it is solvable, maybe, with some aftermarket stuff, but then you introduce a part that may be construed as the problem....if you're not under warranty, I'd say get it verified that it has no head leak then get a larger radiator as a first step. Both of mine that had this situation I left completely stock so as not too muddy the issue with the service department... unfortunately never got to upgrade either of them to where I wanted out of fear that it would only be said that my fiddling with it was to blame for the overheating. Good luck to you.

If I can help in any way please reach out as I've gone through 4 years of dealing with this issue with the dealer and FoMoCo. They now have my '16 and I'm hoping they learn something from it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ford dealer told me to test drive it and if it still odes it Ford gave them the go head to replace radiator. I only have 16K KM left on the 100K power train warranty so have to get this done. Main problem is they refuse to have the tech drive the car on steep hills. mind you the closest is about 30 min drive but I even told them I'd pay the tech wage for an hour or two to go with me. Next Sunday should be hot here so gonna do one more test and drop it back off on Monday.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Nope it's not. Insist they get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately, you may find that it is insolvable and a "characteristic" of this car. Seems like some folks have learned a way around it, hence the questions about how hard you drive it, but I'm with you that you a modern car should not be overheating in the conditions you describe. I do think that it is solvable, maybe, with some aftermarket stuff, but then you introduce a part that may be construed as the problem....if you're not under warranty, I'd say get it verified that it has no head leak then get a larger radiator as a first step.
I am NOT making 'excuses' for them (either Ford, Ford's engineering dept., or the dealer), IF that was an implication, as this absolutely should NOT be happening!!
I also was just asking about conditions/throttle angles to try and determine WHY it has never happened to me with my '16 FiST. [dunno]

I just love this car enough to buy/install an aftermarket radiator (instead of dumping it for some other nameplate/marque), IF that will solve the problem, even though yes, I should not have to in order to drive it in ANY conditions/circumstances. [wink]

I am NOT making 'excuses' for them (either Ford, Ford's engineering dept., or the dealer), IF that was an implication, as this absolutely should NOT be happening!!
I also was just asking about conditions/throttle angles to try and determine WHY it has never happened to me with my '16 FiST. [dunno]

I just love this car enough to buy/install an aftermarket radiator (instead of dumping it for some other nameplate/marque), IF that will solve the problem, even though yes, I should not have to in order to drive it in ANY conditions/circumstances. [wink]
No. Sorry. Not an implication. Just hear too many people having the same problem and it frustrates me when people would not accept this if it were a daily driver Honda but for some reason say, "aw suck it up, it's a performance car" ... I don't understand it. In particular, those folks that say they've never experienced it that chime in imply that somehow it is the driver's fault. I've owned LOTS of cars. I built cars. I've thrashed a lot of them over the years and I've never had one that I could, at will, make it overheat without seriously abusing it. I would love to drive another one on a 90 plus day and show someone how to make it overheat...after 100k miles I got to know the car well.... unfortunately, the planets would all align sometimes while just sitting in traffic so it became more than something I could control. Funny thing is that I drove the car for 9 months between overheating conditions with ZERO problems. Drove exactly the same and no problems...I loved those cars, but it was just too much to deal with.

The one piece of advice I can give for any vehicle is to get it to the dealer as early as possible as the first presentation date is the most critical factor in consideration for remedy with Ford.

May have said this before, but I AM a Ford family guy. Just bought a 18 FoST....through this experience though I have really been exposed to the disconnect between the customer/dealer and Ford Engineering. I truly believe if information that we read on these forms on a daily basis were made available to the engineers, more would come of it. I have offered up all of my data to Engineering but have not been in contact yet.

That's crap. Tell them to do the following on a 90 plus day.

1. Set monitoring on ambient air, intake air and coolant temp.
2. Warm car up
3. Sport mode
4. A/C on auto
5. Windows down
6. Make a spirited run through second gear to 60mph
7. Slow to stop.
8. Sit for about a minute or in traffic
9. Cruise car then make a spirited run in 2nd or 3rd gear.
10. Slow to stop and sit or in traffic. Repeat step 9 one more time if need be.
11. Watch coolant temp rise.
12. You should now start to see intake air rise too. Once intake air starts rises it will either go to just about 100-110 degrees and return to near ambient air or will begin to heat soak and quickly rise to 150-160 or more. Coolant temp will follow to about 250.This is now the unrecoverable situation. Lights should glow and beep. Always found it funny that if you shut the car off at this point and start it right back up, the engine temp is normal and lights off.

You can also try shutting the car down after the couple spirited runs and wait about 5 minutes then try one more spirited run...this should do it too.

I'd love to try this on a brand new one but would not want to because of the obvious detriment it may cause to a new engine.

Try it at your own risk an report back. I'd love to hear if this "recipe" works on others' cars like it did on both of mine.

The other funny thing I found was that in traffic, the car seemed to have a racing ambient and intake temps dependent on how close the front bumper was to the rear bumper of the car in front of it. Almost as if the exhaust heat from the car in front was enough to put it over the edge. Seemed I could accelerate the overheat condition if I crept up to the back of another car..
Ford dealer told me to test drive it and if it still odes it Ford gave them the go head to replace radiator. I only have 16K KM left on the 100K power train warranty so have to get this done. Main problem is they refuse to have the tech drive the car on steep hills. mind you the closest is about 30 min drive but I even told them I'd pay the tech wage for an hour or two to go with me. Next Sunday should be hot here so gonna do one more test and drop it back off on Monday.

I took my vehicle last week...got diagnosed it was the cooling fan...I had.noticed the fan was not being as loud as before....They gave me a rental for the weekend since I.took it in on Friday....got it back last monday..been working fine....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do all of the tuners adjust the two fan speed operational temp points LOWER (or even almost ALWAYS ON FULL speed), as a 'matter of course' even on a factory turbo setup tune???! [dunno]

Or do most not even touch this parameter? [???:)]

I have never heard this discussed/examined on any tune threads which I've seen on this site.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I took my vehicle last week...got diagnosed it was the cooling fan...I had.noticed the fan was not being as loud as before....They gave me a rental for the weekend since I.took it in on Friday....got it back last monday..been working fine....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Some years including my 2016 had a "campaign" on the cooling fan relay. The replacement simply had larger contacts, was beefier. I believe the 1.6L ST is supposed to get the beefier relays but some on the production lines, ended up with the relays for the regular Fiesta.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Well that was for nothing, took the car out to some hills in the Fraser Canyon. It was 29C and got it to two bars from top. I should have waited a bit when the temps outside hit 36C as that for sure would have overheated. I did manage to get a photo of the temp gauge but will see if I have time on Sunday if its hot to do another drive up the Coquihalla Hwy which for sure will overheat as long as its 32C+
Look at your coolant level on level ground. Note all the lines that the coolant touches.

Place your vehicle on a steep incline (or just jack up the front) then look and see whether the coolant still meets all the same coolant lines that it did when level.

NOTE: Replacement reservoir... https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...iesta-ST-today?p=315459&viewfull=1#post315459

Last edited:
I have a 2016 FiST. January 2016 build, delivery early March 2016. The car is completely stock, with 17K miles on the OD exactly as of today.

On July 5th it overheated within seconds of startup in my garage. I shut it down immediately. I waited an hour and started it up again, with the same results. I checked all fluids - they were normal.

I then had the car towed to an excellent garage that has serviced my previous cars (Ford wanted me to wait three weeks for the car to even get looked at.), and it was determined that the thermostat was bad. I paid out of my own pocket to have the car repaired in order to not be without my car for a month or more.

The car ran perfectly until this morning. The EXACT same thing happened again upon startup. Within about 4 seconds of hitting the ignition button, the temp gauge pegged. I shut down and scheduled an appt at Ford for Monday morning. They are claiming no recall on my car, but there is obviously something else at work that is at a minimum killing the thermostat.

Has anyone else experienced this particular situation where the thermostat has been replaced, the car runs perfectly for over a month and then the thermostat suddenly appears to be dead again so soon?

Any info or experience would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Was it a factory, MOTORCRAFT/FORD thermostat, or one of the aftermarket parts (some of which, yes, are excellent)?

Did the shop COMPLETELY 'back-flush' the entire cooling/heater system pathways, and if so, did they notice any major sediment, particles, gunk, gelling, etc. in the coolant flushed?

Did they check the coolant control valve at all?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There's no possible way a car could overheat that quickly. The gauge cluster or ECU may be reading false signal. Aim an infrared temperature gun at the engine and verify. If the coolant running by the sensor really is getting that hot, that quickly, it can only be the result of a cracked head/gasket.

me32

1000 Post Club
There's no possible way a car could overheat that quickly. The gauge cluster or ECU may be reading false signal. Aim an infrared temperature gun at the engine and verify. If the coolant running by the sensor really is getting that hot, that quickly, it can only be the result of a cracked head/gasket.
Lets wait to hear more info.

I've read about this problem as a stock common fault.
I live in a country district where have months with 34/38°, and i've noticed the same problem.
Some improvement after the oil replacement,with one synthetic professional.
[:)]

I fully agree. I've never seen a car overheat so quickly. Things don't really seem to add up.

I also can not answer any of the questions mentioned in the reply above.

Thank you all for the responses.

It's at the dealer today, so I'll let you all know what is discovered.