Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

P
Could you describe this more in detail? I feel like I have a ticking time bomb here. I live in Vegas, and have not had anything past 80 degrees the whole time I've been here so far with the car. In fact, it's been Fall/Winter so temps have been pretty low. I do notice my coolant res line is just at/below min when cold. It sits right at the middle when warm. Should this line be near max when warm? I've removed my exhaust manifold heat shield a few times, so I've pushed/bent that coolant line. I seem to get under the car about every other week or so so I haven't noticed any coolant leaks or stains so far, but I'm no expert at any of this. Other than the tell-tale smell of coolant, what should I look for? Where exactly is this line that leaks? I feel like kicking myself now for not jumping on that $495 mishimoto radiator pre-sale they had going. $495 is much easier to stomach than $700. Ugh.
I live in Vegas and I have never over heated on the street, or at any autoX events. So unless you do road course events, you really don't need the radiator, Imo or have to worry about overheating. When warm, my cars operating temps sit at the middle. ( as should yours) I have never seen it go to max on the street. On my cobb V3 the hotest my coolant temps have gotten is about 200.
I've owned my car for two years now and have been stage three for about 1 and half years. I did order the rad but only because of road course temps. Hope this helps.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I just had a long block replaced because of coolant leaking into #3. Don't know if it was cracked head or gasket. But they gave me no guff about it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you are still on the stock oil, change it to a heavier synthetic. I use Amsoil 10w30 and my temps are a bit lower on my daily commutes than previously. Normal driving after an hour will see temps in the 205-210 region, and under heavy acceleration I have seen as high as 219.
The heavier the oil it does not keep the engine cooler but instead has the reverse effect....it's made for 5w20....vvt and tighter tolerances require a thinner oil. Sounds wierd I know but that's the way it works....good luck out there....remember to go nowhere follow the crowd.

The heavier the oil it does not keep the engine cooler but instead has the reverse effect....it's made for 5w20....vvt and tighter tolerances require a thinner oil. Sounds wierd I know but that's the way it works....good luck out there....remember to go nowhere follow the crowd.
Hmm, I have always been told to use heavier oil in the summer, and living in south Florida it is literally like summer would be for everyone else in the U.S., except all year round essentially. I will try the lighter oil on my next oil change which is coming up soon. I use my AP3 to monitor my oil temps so if there is a difference I will surely notice and report back.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know some people patronize this site but alot of people are having good conclusive evidence that the thicker oil the hotter it runs....check it out here...http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2353060

If you want to be extra safe just follow the manual provided by Ford and utilize the oil that meets the specification ford has given....end of story.

OP
D
Thread Starter #26
The ford dealer is the one that services my vehicle they run motorcraft 5 w 30 I do believe

Stock FiST will overheat if your pushing it for a while in 100+ degree temp. It happens to me in SoCal canyons in the summer. It just goes limp not a huge deal, just ends the fun. Our oil cooler is inadequate for long runs. I doubt anything is wrong with your car. Mishimoto makes a true oil cooler kit I really want before summer, it's pricey but I've heard great things.

OP
D
Thread Starter #28
The fix is gonna be released April 11 so any of you having this problem along with ac issues like I do we only have a couple days

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You can DIY an oil cooler for much less cost and use great parts, one way to save is not using SS braided lines, not needed, use good push on rubber lines and shop for good aluminum fittings, saves weight, cost and not wearing out parts the SS lines will do that they rub on, it takes about the same amount of time to install except making mounts which is not that tough. If you do not care about a bit more weight you can use brass fittings and even cheaper hose just fine. I have around $375 into a Setrab dual pass cooler, Mocal plate, lines and fittings but the Mishi is a nice bolt on setup for those that prefer a one box system.

You can save on a radiator, I spent under $250 but it was A LOT OF WORK.

Open up the grill and that really f'ed up crash sensor bar in front of the coolers....really shitty design.

Seal up the coolers so air into the grills has to go through and not around them.

Open up the bottom of the radiator support behind the IC, easy to do, allows more air out of the back of the IC.

-----------

Already covered, do not run thicker oil, that is a should of been dead a long time ago old school bandaid.

You can install a bigger oil filter, 1355 Wix made sold by NAPA, damn good filter, about double the capacity for better flow, a bit more cooling, a bit more oil, a lot more filtering.

Unfortunately I had to go back to the stock size filter due to the cold side charge pipe I installed, great unit, just wish designed a bit differently so I could of kept the big filter.

Drain off half of more of the coolant, add water wetter and fill up with distilled water or look into the Mishimoto coolant.

There are many ways to deal with this, sometimes we need to do most of them, sometimes just one or two but it all adds up:)

jayrod1980

Rick I wish you would drum up a tutorial on the DIY oil cooler, I'd love to do this on the side... I just can't afford the mishimoto cooler right now and it won't fit on my bar anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siestarider

I wish someone would figure out how to mount a cooler vertically behind radiator next to fan and get rid of passenger side shroud and those lousy flaps that I suspect do not allow nearly as much air flow as the oil cooler would.

jayrod1980

Rick I wish you would drum up a tutorial on the DIY oil cooler, I'd love to do this on the side... I just can't afford the mishimoto cooler right now and it won't fit on my bar anyway.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If I was 20 or 30 or more years younger I would be more internet savvy, more into tutorials, etc...I do not even facebook....also most of my mods are done without consideration to going back to stock and might have a few cosmetic issues some might not be happy with as I focus most of my attention on performance over looks.....

--------------

On the passenger side we have an issue with the alternator which some have already be replaced.

My oil cooler is offset as far over as I could get it and the radiator support opened up to let the air out of the back side but it heads right for the alternator. I am considering different ways to fix that but most likely just make an aluminum heat shield and also route some outside air towards it.

Putting an oil cooler there is a good idea, just need to get air in and out well and not overheat the alternator.

jayrod1980

OP
D
Thread Starter #38
Ford said the cause of the problem is a relay for the fans all fiesta owners will be getting a letter in the mail it effects fiesta and the fiesta st

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ford said the cause of the problem is a relay for the fans all fiesta owners will be getting a letter in the mail it effects fiesta and the fiesta st
I replaced the fan in my mom's fiesta at 135k miles. It would get hot and stop, but the relay was good :)
Prob a 14+ fiesta thing :) ( her's is a 2011 ).

jayrod1980

So the recall comes out soon? When can we get the relay or software flash done for this? Where was this disclosed?