Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

[MENTION=2065]jayrod1980[/MENTION] [MENTION=4960]eglove[/MENTION] [MENTION=8007]Danzofist[/MENTION]
It took a lot for mine to overheat too, but even though it took a lot, the radiator was bad. Are your FiSTs 2016s? I'm thinking it's possible that they may have had a bad batch of radiators
Yup mine is a 2016

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Exact experience I had. They didn't know what was wrong, and were waiting to hear back. When they got back to me, they said it was internal failure in the radiator. They replaced my radiator. Keep us updated please.
Is it running any cooler with the replacement?

jayrod1980

I just found out about Mountune's intercooler... looks great. How much do they charge for installation?

I've installed everything, to include the DHM crash bar and IC myself, but the thought of taking ALL of that crap apart again to do the radiator is daunting from a time perspective.

It would probably be worth a couple hundred for a real shop with a lift that works on these a lot to do it. I'm just always wary of techs scratching stuff up and being careless. I won't let a Ford dealer touch my car.

Summer has just started. If FORD makes a car in 2016 that cant handle ambient temps, it not an automobile, it is a piece of fruit. This sucks.

[MENTION=2065]jayrod1980[/MENTION] [MENTION=4960]eglove[/MENTION] [MENTION=8007]Danzofist[/MENTION]
It took a lot for mine to overheat too, but even though it took a lot, the radiator was bad. Are your FiSTs 2016s? I'm thinking it's possible that they may have had a bad batch of radiators
Yep. 2016 here. 14k miles. No mods, just a RAMAIR filter.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Summer has just started. If FORD makes a car in 2016 that cant handle ambient temps, it not an automobile, it is a piece of fruit. This sucks.
Did you know Ford and other makes have this thing called a warranty because when you make many, many cars they sometimes fail?

I don't remember being promised a perfect car when I purchased my 2016 ST but they did promise to fix problems if it had any according to my manual.

I think in your case you need to immediately sell your piece of fruit, I hate for your life to suck driving an ST. Then you can go buy a perfect car somewhere, no clue who sells them though. I wouldn't wait to see if yours has any problems.....dump it right away, do not under any circumstances wait a single moment. Dump it now, I am sure you will not have trouble selling it. Let me know when you are going to sell it I know people that want one.........

Ford made about 50,000 2016 ST's for the US market that uses the same radiators as the rest of the world's ST's. If radiators were dropping like flies it would be all over the automotive press, the Forums and recall notices. The sky is not falling!

I have not seen any evidence of mass radiator failures on this or the other ST forum nor the press, have you?

My rad was useless once I started putting it to track applications, and Im not even talking hard track applications. I would get about a lap and a half of a 2.4 mile track (80F and partly cloudy) before mine went into crawl mode. Since replacing it with the Mishimoto Rad (and Oil Cooler for shits) Ive had absolutely no problems with overheating. Coolant temps rarely go above 200-210 on track, and Im pushing it significantly harder. It seems like for every one person I meet thats had overheating problems on the track I meet two that dont. Not sure why some cooling systems perform better than others, but it is what it is.

Hello,

I couldn't find a thread on it, but since it's been hot here in SoCal the past week or so, I thought I'd give this one a shot.

I've been going back and forth trying to find a decent exhaust note. I've taken my ST to get a muffler and resonator delete. I ultimately went with just a muffler delete with a catless DP. I'm now noticing this "buzzing" sound from what sounds like the turbo side. Haven't had the chance to take a look at the vehicle yet, or the underside to make sure nothing is rubbing.

I had the resonator cut, and then welded back on.

What're some of your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

- JR

jayrod1980

Wrong thread... this is about overheating. Probably vibrating because there's a gap now in that area. The engine makes a lot of vibration.

Wrong thread... this is about overheating. Probably vibrating because there's a gap now in that area. The engine makes a lot of vibration.
Thanks man. I understand this is not the correct thread, hence my opening sentence.

The problem doesn't seem to be vibrations. I don't notice any different feel inside the cabin than I did before. Try this, put your teeth together, and simultaneously blow air and hum. Seems ridiculous, but that's probably the best way to describe it the sound.

- JR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayrod1980

Also... to the guy who mentioned warranty work, etc... there's extensive evidence that the car is at its cooling limit stock. The IC on EVERY Fiesta ST is inadequate as well for spirited driving... charge temps are 150F or more after a few pulls.

I think people driving around in the hottest parts of the country have a right to be concerned about cooling. I don't think my issues are because the radiator is defective, but rather because it's too small or inefficient for the 1.6T. The car was not made originally with this application in mind. Do we even know if the ST shares the same radiator with the rest of the Fiesta line?

When temps are under 100F or I'm not stuck in stop/go heavy traffic, mine does not overheat. It's only during the Vegas summer when I'm trapped in the heart of town that I experience water temps above 235F.

jayrod1980

According to Tasca the Turbo and non Turbo have different part numbers. However, that doesn't mean they don't have the same core... the packaging would probably be different anyway which would make the parts different.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Note.....corrected due to incorrect data.

I do not have heat problems with my car, desert heat or Gulf South heat, hours in stop and go at almost 100 degrees. If our cars had an inherent cooling issues as I and many others have stated we don't see them. That is not saying that the cooling system was designed for tracking tuned cars or 117 degree stop and go max A/C days. Many people complaining have highly modified cars, the stock radiator cannot support that kind of situation. I would be curious to see a poll on how many stock failures there has been. My car is tuned and has no issues on the MP215. I have run the "tail" numerous times on high 90's days with only two bars in the normal range, A/C on max. Is that the same as a track, no.....but it is harder than most will be driven. Cruised in the 90 mph area for hours in the Dakota's last summer, normal temps on high 90's heat.

A quick check shows the ST radiator is unique to ST's, no surprise there. So 20,000 on the road in the US alone, plus what you have in the rest of the world and no recalls or TSB's. Poor design, mass failures? Don't think so. Some normal failures, sure. But the only failed radiators were changed under warranty from what I am reading. Why is it every time someone has a problem Chicken Little's come out with their doom and gloom? Reminds me of the idiot light recall, the hair on fire reaction was actually entertaining but I am still waiting for all the people that have a bad head from the recall issues to chime in but....crickets. Not to mention the lawsuits threatened. Why would normal rational intelligent people understand their will always defects in in products and in the labor of building a device like a car with many thousands of bits and pieces.

Most parts and assemblies are specified with a MTBF rating. The Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) on the ST radiator is unknown and something Ford would not disclose anyway. If we use an example of say 2,000,000 miles MTBF and we have an estimated 200,000 cars in the world . If we say 5 miles of driving a day would work out to (200,000 X 5 X 30= 30,000,000 miles per month or 15 failures per month) An expected failure rate of 180 per year. I pulled these MTBF numbers out of the air to illustrate failure rates. The actual sales numbers on the ST's I have found is approximately 20K in the US from Ford sales records and 100K in the UK per registration there. So I am guessing the rest of the world would be at least 80K. I will use 200K for the example.

This would also mean you have a 99.94% chance this WILL NOT happen to you, or .06% it will. And I will bet the guess of a MTBF of 2,000,000 miles is probably low. in over 40 years of driving I have never had a defective radiator and had 300K miles on just one of the many cars I have owned. Also keep in mind only about 2% of US ST owners belong to this forum so what you see here is a very small sample of owners and they are more are likely to have modified cars. The sky is not falling unless you are in a very, very, very small group.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
200,000 ST's? No way... at least not in the US.
Sorry, you are correct that was 20K total in the USA, approx. 5k per year based on sale records. World sales was a guess of 200k for calculating example, Ford does not seem to be real interested in publishing numbers. UK registration records show about 100K ST's '14 to '17 so I guessed at 200K total. Sorry for the poor writing! Will try to clear that up!

jayrod1980

I wish more people did buy the Fiesta ST, it's a really fun car. I'm thinking my the cause of my near-overheating is the massive DHM intercooler I have on the car. It definitely covers much of the radiator, where the stock was tiny! Regardless, I'm saving up to buy either the Mountune or Mishimoto radiator to off set it. I've got another 3 years at least in this climate and I don't like having to baby the throttle in the summer. Just sucks an OEM radiator is only about $145 (not that it fits but the Focus ST radiator is only $128!) and these aftermarket ones are a min $470. I guess that's the price you pay to mod your car for more performance.

Just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership where my car has been for a week and a half. He said they figured out that the coolant wasn't cycling properly in the radiator, but it's not the thermostat and it's not a clog. He told me it looked like a manufacturing defect in the radiator. And that was somewhat backed up when he also told me he called their main Ford service parts place to get a new radiator and it has a different part number than the one on my 2016, which to him suggests there IS a larger problem with the radiators that Ford is aware of and they have changed something in the radiator build, resulting in a new part number and hopefully a fix to what has taken them nearly two weeks to figure out.

Now, some of you on here may know more insider information and details and can say if that's bullshit and he's covering something else up. But if what he said is true, then there potentially is a bigger problem with some of these stock radiators.